1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 Front Sprocket Coming Loose

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Tim9, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Thanks Flatfish, tried everything, it seems to be fine now, I cleaned the whole area and spun the correct sized thread cutter down it to clean it out and I thread locked it all back into place. No problems so far. But when i took it into Ducati thy said its not supposed to be thread locked! Sounds like BS to me?

2. I have never seen a sprocket applied with these sealant to be fair. They’re usually hard enough to remove without it!

I would suggest lock wiring it

3. Much mention in this thread of using Loctite, or "thread locker", but without saying what grade. There are many grades of Loctite, the milder ones have limited effects but the really heavy duty grades make the components almost impossible to dismantle again. Don't ask me how I know this.

So what grade are you using @Tim9 ?

4. I would NOT recommend using a "permanent" Loctite grade of threadlock. They are designed for one thing....a permanent fixture. Some allow removal with the application of a lot of heat, but you then risk damaging the output shaft oil seal in the event you have to remove the allen bolt, or worse, it shearing off and having to have its remains drilled out or spark eroded. I would drill the head of the bolt laterally and drill a couple of corresponding holes in the sprocket, then lockwire the two together. Cheap, effective and easy to remove when you are due new sprockets/chain. Here's an example of an 899 with a lockwired sprocket/bolt. Whilst it is not an OEM sprocket, you could drill the OEM one and achieve the same results if necessary. BTW @Tim9, I have a low mileage (less than 1000 miles and no discernible wear) renthal lightweight 15 tooth front sprocket hanging around somewhere that I was going to sell for a few quid. If it's of interest to you let me know.

IMG_20150905_170246.jpg

#24 Topolino, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Use a soft washer ;)

6. Don't be soft.;)

Btw. the purple loctite, no.222 that I referred to is a low strength grade.
    Adequate cleaning to remove all grease etc from the female threads in the shaft is not going to be easy.
    This is why I suggested this particular loctite grade, as it doen't require such thorough cleaning.
    But I still reckon the nylock bolts are the best solution.
    I'll be converting mine thus when I get round to it.
    I'll be doing the same to my front disc mounting bolts too.

7. Make suer you clean the threads properly.
    IMO Medium bond Loctite 243(blue) as it is oil resistant should do the job.
    As Nelson wrote adding a soft washer would not harm....

8. Right. I’ve cleaned my shaft thoroughly. What do I apply to it now?

9. well, when a were a lad, and the output shaft were pretty fecked the knows, we just put a spot weld ont top and bottom, and ground the bugger off when the teeth were worn off, and the chain slipped like a bastard.

10. Im a fan of 577.
    Im also a fan of lockwire like Topolinio suggests

11. FM! You can tell it's winter!
    When do the exhaust polishing threads start...? :D

12. got any loctite?

13. Pete 1950, Im particularly fond of this type of threadlock. IMG_0830.JPG IMG_0830.JPG

14. Use a dab of tile adhesive.

It’s the strongest substance know to man and I’m amazed that houses aren’t built out of the stuff because it’s always tougher than the tiles or the wall behind it.

15. sorry, dry wall adhesive is stronger, i use it where the press studs used to be on my wallet (im yorkshire)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information