1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front Sprocket Drive - Seal

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by ck_uk, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Apologies if I've got the terminology incorrect.

The lower part of this rubber gaitor/seal doesn't look too clever.

Have I got a problem here, anything major to worry about before the engine goes back in the frame?

FullSizeRender.jpg
    IMG_8386.JPG
    IMG_8387.JPG

2. Its a metal ring seal with rubber around it, so as long as the metal is secure in the hole, I would think its ok, however, although I am not 100 precent, I think you can replace these without splitting the cases. I have only done it when my engines have been apart so thats why I am not 100 percent. If it was me, I would replace it before putting it bcak in. Ill get you the sizes, its a standard SKF or equivalent seal. Get from ebay as its cheaper than Ducati.

3. I have one. So here you go for sizes. Should go in without splitting cases, may be tricky pressing it into place but I would try it if it was my bike
    20190604_104009.jpg 20190604_104020.jpg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Brilliant, thanks. Is there any special trick to getting the existing one out, without splitting the cases? I haven't attempted yet.

There seems to be a seller based in Lithuania.

5. Screw a self tapper into it and use that to pull the old seal out with a pair of grips. Use a deep socket, piece of tube or a suitable box key to tap the new one in.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Don't damage the bearing behind it.

7. When fitting the new one, wrap some insulation tape around the splines to protect the new seal

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Ive tried this, think it was in Haynes manual. I found it a bit tight to get on so just resorted to grease, which works better, the edges of the splines are not sharp, as long as you inspect them first!

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information