1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel Draining Continuously 600ss

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by DanSS600, Jul 16, 2020.

1. To the OP. Check item no.43 in this diagram. It is a rubber tube that connect the boss in the bottom of the tank the drain stub on the bottom of the filler cap. Outside the tank it connects to the rubber tube. If it is split, or has come off at the filler cap, fuel will leak out continuously until the level drops below the hole or the upper end of the tube.

Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 14.12.08.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Correct, I did read your post before you nipped back to cover your tracks !!:joy::upyeah:
    Without splitting hairs about how much any specific liquid expands I do know that although this example is on a completely different bike, if I brim my bobber & go home, (about 2 miles) when it's parked up in the garage fuel will come out of the overflow as the engine heats the tank up. Anyway, we're digressing from the original poster's question now.

3. Hmm, cover tracks or correcting myself, we’ll never know! :), yes digressing, Dereks theory looks good, hopefully we will know the answer soon!

4. Full marks to Rhubard & Custard and Derek - the hose had fallen off the spigot and was sitting in the fuel providing an open pipe to drain the tank.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Great news, at least my theory only cost you £3.20, I’ll go and sit in the corner for a while.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. I think I will keep a pencil with the tool kit on the bike in case it happens again. Given the cost of a pencil against the cost of roadside recovery of the bike I'll take the pencil.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. I always keep a few tie wraps under the seat, a multitude of uses!, in this case you could have bent the end of the pipe back on itself and firmly tie wrapped it (zip tie for our American friends).

8. Always got zip ties in there

9. A small adjustable spanner is a good one too, I was out a few months back at a bike meet place, someone pulled in with a wing mirror spinning in its mount, he asked for help so I gave him my spanner, he tightened the mirror, handed the spanner back to me, walked back to his bike and rode off without a word!, he came very close to catching that spanner on the back of his head ! :)
    Think I’ll start a thread re “what tools do you carry?”.

10. What a rotter. On the "what tools do you carry" idea I give you the mini fire extinguisher that fits under the seat.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/firechie...-chemical-fire-extinguisher-spray-150ml/387fv

11. Excellent!, and you so nearly needed one :), a small Allen key set is a must of course, I’ve got one where the 6mm Allen key has caps to take it up to the larger sizes, very compact.
    I actually used it a few weeks back when the gear linkage pivot bolt came loose on my M900, all those years all those bikes and it’s the first time I’ve ever needed to do a running repair! (Apart from a fuse change, again on the M900!).

12. fire extinguisher.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  13. Good job sir!, here’s a must, 20L rucksack for when you’re out on your bike and spot that bargain that’s too big to fit under your jacket
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324166097031
    And incredibly they actually do fold back into the palm sized pouch after use, Ive got one under the seat of all my bikes.

#33 Mark9, Jul 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  14. A bicycle multitool is useful, several Allen keys on them etc

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Yes thats what mine is “Topeak”, the chain splitter function isn’t much use on a 520 chain though :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Time to start a new "tools and
    under seat items" thread ?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Isn't the internet wonderful! Saw your post and 2 minutes later I've got a delivery on Thursday. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  18. Nice! unfortunately (still) not available in The Netherlands in 150ml.

19. Done, “what tools do you carry?” In general discussion.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information