1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel Gauge Playing Up

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Vader, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Hi all, my fuel gauge on my Suoer Sport was/is acting up today, it’s started flashing empty and the fuel light flashes even tho there was around 1/2-3/4 full. Filled up and it was ok for a while and started agin. I’m travelling from Spain through France and using E10, would this be the problem? Sticker on the tank suggest E10 is ok?
    Bike is only 4 years old

2. I doubt it’s the e10, I’m sure Ducati have had enough time to build a bike that utilises e10 without issue. It probably an accurate gauge that they’ve struggled with since forever, well at least my 750 Paso had a none functioning fuel gauge and Speedo…….

3. Hi, thanks for the reply, it’s just started acting up tho, the bike has done around 10K miles of which I’ve done 5K

4. I feel your pain as even though you can use your mileage clock to calculate it’s a royal pain in the ass,
    at the time my Paso was only 4 years old.

5. But the Germans own it now, stuff should just work! My Brothers Hinckley built 11 year old Triumph hasn’t missed a beat!

6. I agree it should, my 3 Triumphs worked without fault during my ownership. Every Ducati I have owned has some foible that has irritated me.

7. Mines doing the same this last few weeks :(

8. Just keep re-setting the trip meter a d don’t let it get too low. You will probably be able to get it replaced under warranty

9. It’s almost 4 years old so out of warranty. It’s a bit annoying

10. Like most current Ducatis it looks like it's a float in a tube (item #5 below). Likely components are plastic, these can swell in the presence of ethanol and jam. Though you would think that they would use a material/type of plastic that doesn't...
    [​IMG]
    Owned an MV prior to the Multistrada and was living in fear of the plastic fuel tank distorting and/or blistering as they are prone to do with the increasing ethanol content in petrol.

11. I very much doubt it is an E10 fuel matter. It will almost surely be the good old fuel sender failure issue. Well documented across most of the Ducati range. An especially prone component.
    Even after at least 4No replacements on three Ducati Multistradas I've owned, a 2010, 2015 & 2018 model, this problem still exists. Woeful QC! :rolleyes:

12. The Mutley uses a fuel level sender of the same design. Who's to say this is not an E05/E10 ethanol swell and stick issue? E05 has been around for ages now.

13. Hey chaps bonus little win . My fuel sensor hasn't worked for months quotes over 250 quid to fix
    So I was waiting to get it done at next service .
    The new ethanol fuel lauch in the UK. I heard of the issues in the states with fuel tank components issues using this fuel . A yank mentioned a fuel supplement every 5 k miles . Its called sea foam I got some 10 quid on ebay bit skeptical about things like this , like the old redex in the old cars
    This sea form meant to clean and protect blah blah . I put just 100 ml in near empty tank rode around a bit then filled up . Didn't think nothing about it . Next ride I took .fuel gauge is working bonus !!!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. :thinkingface:

15. I've been told this is a common issue with a few Ducati models. My 2018 Supersport S started doing it also this week.

16. The parts are cheap and pretty easy to do yourself (on a multistrada)

17. I didn't say it wasn't, I said I very much doubt it is. You could be right, however, based on my experience to date, the Ducati fuel sender system, is total crap.....STILL!

18. Thanks for the replies, I’m not sure it’s stuck because from a full tank it will show empty and flash, the fuel light also flashes. Put 98 E5 in on the last run and was ok for about 100 miles then went wonky again. If it’s a known issue then why is t it now sorted? These are premium bikes! Just had to replace the quickshifter too. Maybe I should go back to reliable Jap bikes

19. Funnily enough, having had the fuel sender unit replaced on my 1260 in the last 12-18 months, yesterday I also had the rubbish QS replaced as well.
    As you say, why does a so called premium product like this, seem to have so may often repetitive faults.

20. You should try an MV Agusta :joy: Engines are generally sound, electrics were a disaster in my experience and I wasn't alone.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information