1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Fuel Gauge:suddenly Not Working! Wtf ?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by DudleyDuke, May 31, 2016.

1. @Pete1950 has done them on the last model, can't imagine much different? Just full up every 140 miles :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. 1. Yes I have replaced fuel sensors. It is reasonably straightforward, although a bit fiddly.
    2. No.
    3. No.
    4. As far as I know yes. They are pretty good now.

Get the fuel tank as empty as possible before you start. Several bits of bodywork have to be removed, with lots of little screws and tabs - only start if you are confident you will be able to put it all back together properly.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Something strange happened to my DVT on a trip. The fob battery was low (monthly battery replacement) and I was activating using the right dash for a couple days. On the way back I filled up and the fuel gauge read empty. This happened over three starts. Replaced battery when I got home and fuel gauge is working again!

4. Many thanks Pete
    Appreciate your help and advice

5. Monthly battery replacement ? I think there's something wrong there :neutral:

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Yes, I will have it looked at 18k service. Thought it was strange the fuel gauge reading empty and the new battery seemingly correcting that. Maybe coincidence.

7. I notice that the recently published spare parts list for the 1260 Multistrada shows the fuel gauge sender number as:
    592.1.021.1E so presumably that is now the latest version. If any Multi owner has to get one replaced under warranty, it ought to be that one.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. FYI - The latest part number now shows a "F" revision!!!!!!!!

59210211F

9. Fuel senders?

duke63 advises not to leave the tank low on fuel for long periods as this seems to affect the sender. The owners manual on storage advise emptying the tank if bike not going to be used for long periods.

I bought my 1st Ducati 2 months ago so am a freshman and I wont be riding it through winter. So is there a consensus regarding full tank or empty tank for storage.

Thanks in advance.
    TB

10. Not sure about consensus but my tank was "low" for a while (probably 30 to 70 days) and it was after that time period that my Rev D version has started to act up. Wait I g 0n Ducati to authorize a warranty replacement now.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. @Topbox I can see why they recommend not leaving fuel in the tank for long periods but I don't think it's anything to do with the sender unit, it's probably to do with stale fuel.

• Like Like x 1
  12. @broke Yes my thoughts are empty the tank so that any E fuel doesn't react with the plastic tank. Which is the opposite of a steel tank which is kept full to stop it rusting from the inside. I was just wondering if there was a popular theory about what might stop the fuel sender working (apart from build quality) e.g. keeping the tank empty when stood for , lets say, winter.

TB

14. Did you ever get a response to the 4 questions you posed - the thread appears to stop at this point? The bike has been parked up over the winter and I've got a "fuel sensor error" warning and flashing graduated fuel indicator so might try filling up first

15. The idea of emptying fuel out is so it doesnt contaminate filters etc.
    Modern Ethanol based fuel evaporates to a greater extent than older fuel (which also lowers its octane rating), and has a tendency to form slimy sludge.
    It won't affect the current type of plastic fuel tanks which is the same as used on many cars now, its the older ones it affected.

Leaving a tank full of fuel was mainly to stop problems created with the vapour (explosion/fire risk). Sun on a tank full of fuel will see the liquid expand, but nowhere near as much as the same tank full of vapour will do.

I've no idea why this might affect the level sensor, except to say its probably lubricated by the fuel. Fill it up with some super unleaded and see if it helps.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information