1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Enduro Fuel Sensor Failing?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by MotoNik, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Got mine swapped out under warranty near the three year point. As once it reached flashing red, it would usually cut out saying 10-15miles left. Pissed me off as I liked to empty my tank on occasion but the zero'ing of the tank range kept been out of sync'

2. I'll certainly be asking the question about getting an exchange - pretty sure I got one changed out of warranty on my 2013 bike, as a goodwill.

3. Looks like my sensor is getting worse - having filled the bike up last week it's still showing as orange on the fuel gauge - usually it goes up to full after an hour or so. Kind of annoying having to rely on the trip counter. Might try and live with it until the weather gets cold, and then attempt replacement. Mainly can't be bothered with all the faffing about removing bodywork!

4. So is the sender float made from a plastic that reacts with ethanol?. Similar to the plastic tanks that swell and distort.
    If it is, mind blowing! :worried:

5. It seems like it's a combination of the float swelling, and electrical solder contacts failing.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Cut out because you'd run out of fuel, or because of some electronic reason due to the faulty sensor? I'm just trying to decide now whether I can keep riding mine and rely on the trip counter, and replace the sensor in the winter (when I'm riding less), or replace it now because it might strand me.

7. Never heard of a faulty sensor causing other issues. You will eventually get 2 warning lights, one flashing when sensor properly fails. I put black tape over them for 6 months before swapping out sensor.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I may do the same!!

9. It just seems strange to me that Ducati’s suffer so much with a known issue like this. Thousands of bikes have fuel sensors that work, what is it about Ducati that allows this to persist?

10. Completely agree - my 2013 1200S had 2 or 3 replacements, and I only owned that about a year! I've had my Enduro 2.5 years and done about 12,000 miles on it now, so I guess that's an improvement, as this'll be the first replacement for me. But still...

11. I contacted the ever helpful Craig at Moto Rapido. The bike will still run even if the sensor completely fails, and Ducati aren't doing replacements for bikes outside of warranty. A new one is £71 including VAT.

Can anyone point me in the direction of an exploded diagram/fiche type drawing, so I can get a better idea of what I'm getting in to?

12. Body panels off, un clip the fuel pipes from the pump and electrical connections and then remove the tank securing bolts, remove tank, 20 secs to replace the sensor, and rebuild. Sorted!

13. But this issue should have been addressed long ago.

15. I
    It's the body panels off bit that bothers me - I seem to recall there's an especially fiddly breather pipe round the filler neck that's easy to miss, and easy to break. But yes, I'll have a crack at it, when I can be bothered!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information