1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

899 Fuel Stain On Screen

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Jimmy899, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Managed to get few drops of petrol on the screen on Sunday, I only noticed them 5 min after it happened and wiped them off straight away. Rather frustratingly this has now left a number of white stains on the screen that can't be removed, and the only option seems to be replacing the screen - which looks to be a compleat pain in the arse itself!

Wanted to see of anyone else has experienced this, and if there was a mirical solution to removing fuel stains/burns from the screen? Theses

Cheers
    James

2. Seen a plastic polishing kit (for clear plastic screens/ clock faces) on ebay the other day.. maybe some use?

3. Good shout, I'll give that a try before removing all the fairing and buying a new screen.

4. Worth a shot. cant post link as it was just a random search type thing an i didnt save it. Have a scratch in my screen so please post results if you do go that road. it was only cheap (ish) bout £13 from memory (with mops and paste) only reason i didnt buy is im under strict orders at the min!!!

5. Yes, please put up the link and I will let you know how I get on. Sounds like Nazi orders!

6. bit of a mis com there mate! didnt save link. but screen polishing kit was my search and a good few popped up. Yeah every one is a Nazi these days! (you spend a few grand more than you have and they're all on ya case!!!)

7. Try brasso - somewhere you can't see first !

8. Get some stone chips on it lad , then you won't see them ! :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  9. It's already got a few of those, but now it also looks like I've got a bit exited on the screen.

10. +1 for plastic polish
    halfords do a kit with an attachment for hand drill for buffing

11. T cut Is normally quite good, it has worked for me on visors.

12. Interesting - the screen on my hyper has a few petrol stain's on it as well....you cant buy the screen on its own from ducati - you have to buy the whole clock set...stark contrast my ktm supermoto 525 clocks can be bought as individual parts....interested to see how this turns out - throw up any pics if you can once done....

13. On a related note: does anyone know the best glue to use to stick my rubber screen trim to the screen? Not only did superglue not do the trick, a drop of it fell on the screen and made an unsightly mark, so quite interested in the above ways of removing it. Thanks.

14. toothpaste is good for polishing out light scratches.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Put a layer of ventureshield on it, which is what I did. If it gets stained just replace it with a new one. I assume you meant the instrument screen and not the windscreen?

16. Thanks for the replies guys. I ended up using Meguiar's Headlight Restoration kit from Halfords - it works on most plastics. Although it did help, the fuel stains are really burnt in and still visible.

It's now just a good excuse to get a double bubble windscreen.

17. I know this is an old post but I’ve just done the same thing myself. I rinsed it straight away in the petrol station but the white staining was already visible. When I got home I tried TCut, but that didn’t work. I then tried Poorboys World Natty Paste Wax and that’s worked a treat. It’s taken about 15-20 mins rubbing, wiping, rubbing and wiping but it’s now back to being a perfectly clear screen again. I have absolutely no affiliation to the company that makes that product, I just thought I’d share my results with anyone else misfortunate enough to do the same.

F909C0A4-6FAD-4C22-B202-7BA78893DFEC.jpeg

8D2FD6D6-517A-4D38-BA6A-367CBCA44896.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  18. I have some polishing compound that's usually used with a rotary polisher. Would that do the trick?

First time putting fuel in a bike tank after 25+ years and failed... :joy:

19. I would not feel too bad about it, I have also done the same. My stains came out with headlight restorer after several goes at it. I swear its something to do with the Ducati tank design. I had no difficulties with my other bikes. Now I always fill from the side stand side. Seems to stop the splash back but you still have to be careful.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Is the ethanol content of fuel likely to do more damage to plastic than pure petrol?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information