1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Funding A New Ducati

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by LOCKE, Dec 1, 2019.

1. There's only one problem with choosing to save up… saving up.
    I'm a year into saving for a Monster and still got more than 65% to find for an 821 or a shit site more if my desire for 1200S keeps growing… ffs.
    I keep myself motivated by watching THIS at least a couple of times every night, much to my lady wife's continued bemusement.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Waiting for something makes you more appreciative of it once you get it, well that’s what I tell my wife every time she asks me for something!!:D

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Why not buy a secondhand one now if you are struggling? 821s are around for £4000-£4500 and standard 1200 bikes for a grand or so more. I was selling a 1200 on here for £5395 back in October. Almost depreciation free at that level too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Well the way I did it was to buy old ones, I am allergic to depreciation on anything.. I have little disposable income so I am sensitive to any monthly payment. I bought my first ducati (a 996s) on a credit card money transfer card, rode it and sold it for more than I paid for it 2 years later.. over the years between me and the missus we bought, rode then sold an early '93 Monster 900, Mk1 Superlight, Mk5 Superlight and a cheeky little NC30 all at a good profit and now I have worked up to and own my dream bike, not a conventional approach I know but if you buy the right thing you don't have to lose any money; we have quite enjoyed the journey.. and yes I now wish I had kept them all! ;-)

#104 JimmySP3, Dec 4, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. There's +/- to PCP as others have said, I personally am allergic to the hit the first owner has to bear on anything new mechanical or otherwise. But; if I was looking at the V2 I'd front up half the dough and put the rest on a 0% credit card for 12 months, chew through as much as I could afford on the monthlies and then move the balance in 12 months. PCP feels all wrong to me but so does buying 1st Model year on anything really as you're paying such a premium. So many good 899, 959's to be had for nearly half the price that's where I'd look, enjoy one for a summer and then pick up a mint V2 next time round.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I PCP'ed my last bike, Wrote it off after 12mths, thank f**k for GAP insurance, that's all I'll say.

Not sure id do it again but having said that it depends on the bike, if your financing £20-30k then it does make a lot of sense, especially if your not planning on keeping it.

I agree that I think manufacturers now price vehicles on what the public can afford to PCP, which in general will just be the depreciation and it won't be long before that depreciation would have bought you a super bike a few years ago!

But I think it could be a flawed system, not for those buying those 3-4yr old trade ins but those chopping them in and buying new again. With such a glut of low milage 3-4yr old stock won't supply far exceed demand meaning their value decreases even further and so increases the depreciation on the new PCP deals increasing the finance cost to the buyer?

For my next bike I'm looking to buy a well looked after used bike, pay for half of it and put the other half on a 0% card for 2 yrs and if anything left just transfer the balance to another 0% card.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Exactly my thoughts too. There is always two sides to the coin.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information