1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Future-proofing A 916

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by TNR, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Morning all, just looking to get opinions on what parts should be purchased now to store for the future.
    I have a P8 bike so should I look at picking up an ECU? Tach/Speedo/Temp gauges? Fairings?

Or is it likely that parts for an early 916 will be available without too much hassle in say, 20 years?

• Like Like x 1
  2. I would buy anything and everything you can if its relatively cheap. I've got a good collection going for my 996, I keep turning up packages of stuff I bought a couple of years ago and forgot I had.

• Like Like x 1
  3. If you find good quality secondhand parts or new for that matter ,,snap them up pronto:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  4. The tacho is unique to the p8 I believe, like hens teeth, I only have a 748 but I am slowly collecting body panels although at my age I don't know why.
    Steve

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Perhaps for your retirement:p

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Good thinking, although I don't know how much longer I'll be able to ride it, the 916 series of bike is more suited to the younger more flexible types, a category I no longer fit!!
    Steve

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  7. if you've decided it's a long-term keeper then definitely worth squirreling good condition O.E.M. components as listed above. Try and find a decent original nosecone for one even now, there must be half a dozen of us on here looking for one now. I must have said it many times before but (if you don't know already) don't be tempted to skimp on the quality and fit of the two belly dzus fixings as this is one of the reasons that nosecones get damaged and the tell-tale sign is usually just the last most rearward triangular portion just next to the last fixing that disappears as the side fairings get ripped off when the air gets under them because one or both of the belly fasteners have failed..

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. New nosecones are still available. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bodywork of the correct year / colour / decal structure. Screen, anything with an elephant on if it's an early bike. Mirrors. Sidestand. Temp gauge.

But as I've learned with my own bikes, very little is actually unavailable. Just that some stuff is expensive. NOS parts are nice to have.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. do you have a current price? i'm sitting down

11. Chris ,about two odd plus years ago P&H gave me a price for the nose cone which was £385 ish for memory,but no doubt the price has risen up.
    At the same time i made inquires into the nose cone & the four sides pieces and this came to a total of £2000 ish plus.:upyeah:and the saleman said you could have a colour variation in the new parts:eek:: unamused:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Mirrors ?

So easily damaged ( sometimes no fault at all of the owner ) ....
    .... and insane prices for original replacements ( even while still available )

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. £60.00 plus for each one:(

14. Bought new mirrors for mine, admittedly about 9 years ago and they were not too much of a killer, about £40 each back then. Will obviously have gone up in price but compared to some items they weren't that bad.

15. To be honest , I don't know about 916 mirrors ,
    but I was looking for ST4 mirrors and I'm seeing around £140 each !!!
    And there's not much to them ..... couple of metal plates , the springs
    and some plastic-fantastic mouldings .... oh yeah , some glass as well ;)

My originals were fine ..... until they got stolen !
    Long story , but I'd put the bike to bed ( far away ) and put the mirrors
    inside the panniers ..... reasons ?
    The bike cover fitted much more snuggly with them off ,
    and it was one less job to refit the battery , when it was go time again .

The best laid plans ... etc
    Ha !

#16 oldtech, Jun 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ducati's Retail markup;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. yes, it's almost random - if you strike lucky you can find the item you have bought has had it's price slashed massively which will have you leaving the store happy but mystified - and they will never tell you which items - present or future!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Chris,Do we not have a man on the inside;)

19. Ain't that the truth !

Sad ..... but true .

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information