1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garage Break In

Discussion in 'Stolen Bikes/Parts' started by Duncs, Nov 21, 2017.

1. We fitted an electric roller door last week, fooking lovely remote control and all.

£760 fitted

2. That sounds like a reasonable price , how secure is your new door ? I mean is it a huge improvement over the old door?

3. Sorry to here about your troubles - you can make it really secure - but if they want in - all they have to do is take off some tiles and go in through roof.

Then inside unbolt door frame from brickwork and remove the door still locked to frame (I had this 12 years ago)

Just a word of caution with roller doors do not usually have locks - my insurance states the

upload_2017-11-21_12-28-42.png

upload_2017-11-21_12-29-5.png

Garage door must have a key operated locking device - not sure how this works... As I too have a remote roller shutter door at my current home.

Also - I changed the top straps that connect the door to the bar - so that they go over centre when closed and act as blocks to stop the door being lifted.

Lastly I fitted reinforcement on aluminium side runners and also the bottom stay in the door - to limit buckle and so I could fit internal locks (when go on holiday)

I am not sure if the remote is the Key?

Thoughts??

4. They've bolted the old garage door to the frame , so even I can't get the Dukes out . lol

5. I paid a grand to have one welded inside my shipping container, electric and with keyed locks. All Steel roller shutter and very strong. Not really very pretty.
    [​IMG]

#25 AirCon, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2017
  6. My neighbour has a key lock on the pillar beside his roller door and I think this is to secure it and if the electric motor goes you insert a handle to manually raise the roller door . Ill speak with him tonight to check .

7. It seems really secure, solid side rails well bolted in and the roller itself goes over centre at the top when shut so that the laths can't be prised out.

8. 20171121_131419.jpg 20171121_131454.jpg

9. Just to make it clear.
    Mine is electrically controlled from somewhere else and I have to remember to undo / remove the locks first or it all gets very hot and crunchy.
    I look at the CCTV and think, why isn't it moving.....DOH.

10. you'll never be fully secure (waits for someone to post their bike space in Fort Knox...), but the trick is being secure enough (1) to cover the insurance requirements, and (2) to make someone else's garage more appealing to get into than yours. (Which is effectively what your neighbor has done by fitting a roller...)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. My eldest brother had the same sort of garage door till I reviewed his contents & suggested upping his security. I'll get him to link me the name of the side opening door system he now has. It's secured with pins in all the four pins of attack.

12. I have an electric roller door and it’s great. I have access to the inside of my garage through the house. It’s runs off a 13amp plug in a socket by the door which I turn off unless I am using it. Someone is sure to come up with a cloned multi door fob but without electric it will not raise. Try and put a switch in the supply to your garage in the house.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I heard you the first time - there was no need to post this 6 times :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Or you could remotely turn off the power with a second remote. So they have to clone 2 remotes

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. WeMo or TP-Link Smart plug would be perfect for that

16. I had a garage break in in my previous property (less than a mile from Cheshire Police HQ) and they took the MTB's and dirt bikes, left the road bikes.

Then I suspected someone tried to get into the garage where I live now, that's a roller door and I'd bolted it from the inside so they only managed to lift it 6 inches.

If that's the only way in you can get an external lock that bolts into the floor similar to the link below:-

https://www.lockshopdirect.co.uk/pr...zgVhDJcT_37r3ZIdHhYd7_ltckLTIogwaAhemEALw_wcB

I used something similar on the 1st house, if there's power in there get an alarm and CCTV, ground anchors etc. If not you can get battery powered PIR's and alarm boxes that use Bluetooth which you leave the alarm in your house. As has been said get your car right up to the door also, anything you can do to deter/delay them increases their risk of getting caught.

17. Thanks for all the advice and banter . I'm going to secure my garage as best I can and try not to lose any sleep over some low life .

18. If you park the car up tight to the door, turn the wheel towards the wall and put a steering wheel disc lock, can't shift the car then, place a few empty glass bottles around in places that will be disturbed make a right row does glass, and the baby monitor in the bedroom...small cheap effective things

19. That’s a good price. Last quote I had was £4K!! Who did you get it from?

20. if they want it they will get it, but my new bike shed has a six layer wall, roof and door, no windows, door weighs over a hundred kilo's, and we fitted it using pieces of scaffold tube as rollers, could not lift it, then biggest most secure pragmasis, hasps and locks available, then plenty of locks and high end chains inside to lock bikes together, and chains fixed into the walls, both my neighbours sheds have been emptied twice over the last year, they have not attempted mine, hope it stays that way. They will need a angle grinder and a lot of time and patience, and then hope for the best, as my pieces of scaffold tube will be employed in a different fashion lol

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information