1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garage Break In

Discussion in 'Stolen Bikes/Parts' started by Duncs, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Hi Duncs,

Where abouts in Surrey are you ?

Would be happy to advise a fellow Ducatisti, I’ve got 25yrs experience of what we commonly call burglary prevention.

My personal garage where my bikes are makes Fort Knox look like a corner shop lol.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Pro Sec doors in Cleckheaton.

• Like Like x 1
  3. No wonder if your garage door is in that state!

4. I'm in Ewell just north of Epsom.

5. Only 5 mins up the road from you matey, I’ll PM you

6. Remove both wheels and put them under the bed. Bike safe. Job jobbed.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I used to remove the rotor from my Datsun so no one could drive it away . This was b4 car alarms .

Meant to say distributor rotor .

#47 Duncs, Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. 4k for a lecky roller door ?? Are you insane ? Ours was 900 quid fitted , who the hell quotes 4k ??

9. Bit of advice

If you’ve got a metal door, fit a wood plank along the bottom of the door. Can be done in various ways but couch bolts would work.

Then also get some retractable bolts on the bottom of the door and up the side going from the door in to the frame.

Door can’t be opened easily and can’t be bent

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. If you are looking for security kit, you might want to have a look at this lot
    https://securityforbikes.com/
    They are a small manufacturer of very solid chains/ground anchors/etc. Always do well in tests.
    (disclaimer, the owner is a friend)
    Incidentally, his worry is the growing prevalence of battery angle grinders.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. but not using an angle grinder, of course. ;): unamused:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Let it go, let it go.

Let Creamie enjoy his shed in peace!

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Spent near enough that on our lovely oak garage doors. Wouldn’t dream of spending that on a bit of metal churned out of a factory.

14. you are right - I shall indeed make no more mention of said A-G atrocity, and will await the full force of righteous piss-taking when my next gaffe becomes public knowledge.

Pete

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. IT'S NOT A SHED!!!!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  16. Up and over doors are fine if they're robust enough and can't be pried open at the corners. Mine is a heavy double width door so it runs in substantial rigid rails at the top corners and I've fabricated internal heavy duty hasps between the door and the steel door jam at both bottom corners which are made from angle iron which is strong enough that it cannot be forced apart but would require cutting equipment.
    The window has been fitted with steel bars and the timber pedestrian side door has been replaced with a steel one with a heavy sliding bolt which is locked by a shrouded padlock, like you see on storage containers.

Solid masonry garages are quite easy to secure with a little effort. Nothing's 100% but you can make it more trouble than it's worth for thieves.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Bro is back in the country; LMS garage doors (London) 01215590455 / 07592118707

He has a side hinged one fitted with inner skin & they do a wide variety, check out their brochures.

18. Everest, people who do double glazing. Gave up after that but going to look around a bit more now

19. This is the quote from VPS who are handling the insurance claim . Its a bit sparse on the details I think .
    Betterment roller garage door

Auto-over Insulated roller door

Door finish - white

Motor, control box and x2 transmitters

Left hand motor

Fit between

Approx. 3-4 weeks delivery

Excess - £300

Betterment - £658.06

Total - £958.06

Do Not Sell My Personal Information