1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garage Heating

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by SP4S, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Same applies to you on the face-palm shit:rolleyes:

• Face Palm Face Palm x 2
  2. I run a dehumidifier and keep an eye on temp/humidity with a small digital monitor.
    I don't try to keep everything warm just avoid sudden temperature changes
    The water the dehumidifier pulls out gets stored and repurposed. I also have 2 dehumidifiers in the house, great for drying laundry

IMG_2960.JPG

IMG_2961.JPG

3. 52% - not too shabby...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. +1 for a dehumidifier. I have a Meaco dehumidifier on a time switch and a weather station with a remote sensor in the garage, so I can see the temperature and humidity in the garage from the comfort of my chair in the lounge. I adjust the time switch to keep the Relative Humidity at about 50%, currently needing about an hour 3 times a day. The dehumidifier has a automatic drain, so I don't have to remember to empty the water tank.

For reference, it's integral, double garage with cavity walls, it has insulated, sectional doors (Hormann) and plastic tiles on the floor (EcoTile; 7 mm PVC). I don't ride the bike in the winter, so the main doors don't get opened too often. I only use a heater when I want to work in the garage or if the temperature gets lower than 3 °C or 4 °C. I keep all my riding gear in the garage so it's important to me to keep the humidity down to avoid mold/mildew.

5. Motocorsa are selling these 2869D127-C059-4233-AC47-243D4BDF3E4A.jpeg

6. It would be wouldn't it.

7. Well I measured it and it was, if it wasn't I would have made it so, so in any case yes: it would be Mr Sev-ere :):upyeah:

8. Thick fingers, sorry! :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. As long as the beers cold, does anything else really matter?

10. You got a point there mate. It’s colder in garage than fridge at the moment. Not much beer left after last night.

11. Yes we can't lose sight of what really matters in life SP4S :).

coopers-pale-ale[1].jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. I had one of these but sold it as it requires way to much space,but a very nice idea:upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Plus one for not bothering to heat or dehumidify the whole garage, I too cover the bike in insulation but I also include a plastic sheet and then use a small cupboard dehumidifier under the bike to keep it nice and dry. It will also warm it a little.
    Works a treat.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Has anyone tried the tight arse method? build a box like a cool box but without the lid out of 2 inch thick polystyrene sheets, secure it with glue and banding. Then simply place it over the bike

similar to a box like this but without the lid and built to your bike size. Cheap and removes all the need for an expensive heating system, even more so if your bike is in a non powered building

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. You star. That’s the sort of approach I like. Cheap and cheerful

16. If the weight or awkwardness of lifting it becomes too much then you can hot glue velcro straps on each corner piece to bond them together so joining them and removing the panels is simply a velcro pull/fold away

17. Noobie the professor at work just thinking outside the box;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Be wary of carpet as they can attract moisture which eveaporates upwards...
    It's not cold that causes a problem it's moisture so forget trying to keep it warm. Keep it dry, more effective and a damn sight cheaper.

Screwfix do some good dehumidifiers as reasonable prices. Go for one with a 'humidistat' so you can set the level and it's not running all the time.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information