1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garmin 395 Power Supply Testing ?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Android853sp, Jun 28, 2020.

1. That is a very clear and useful video you did.
    I would appreciate some advice on a couple of 'issues' I have with Basecamp, if you don't mind. Happy to take them off forum if you prefer.

Firstly, when I'm looking at Basecamp I can see all the existing routes that I've created, along with all the waypoints etc. I've changed the route and track colours to transparent but they still appear as thin black lines - can I clear all the clutter without deleting everything from my laptop? I have the same 'problem' with my satnav when it's connected to Basecamp.

Second, when using via points (or shaping nodes if that's the proper name) along a route (with waypoints at start, end and maybe a couple of intermediate places), if I have to (or choose to) make a diversion the satnav will then try and recalculate the route to the next waypoint cutting out all the intermediate shaping nodes and so losing the planned route. I know I can set always/never/ask for route recalculations (and in appropriate circumstances skip a waypoint), but I've not yet been able to master how to get back onto the planned route unless I've laden the route with waypoints - what am I doing wrong?

2. Maybe a zoom session with a screen share could be useful with a group of members who want to try and master Basecamp?

I've been using Basecamp for many years now, and Mapsource before that, but am moving over to MyRouteApp in the main. I'm by no means a complete Guru with the answers to everything but I do know my way around it pretty well.

Maybe I should start a different thread for that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I would be happy with either, if it means I can get a better grip on Basecamp :)

4. If you have the time and will be willing to do that, awesome and it would definitely warrant beer or wine tokens in appreciation. Never Zoom’ed before but aware of the technology. Andy

5. You can save basecamp files under file… export. I save them and can open them with the old Mapsource program but you can use google too or other formats

I think if you miss a shaping point the Garm tries to send you back for a while then gives up. If you choose to select skip it sorts it.

I am up for a group zoom too ! ;-)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. The clutter I was referring to is on the map view. I don't know how clearly the routes/tracks will show on this picture.
    The magenta route is a new one I've been working on.

[​IMG]

7. In Basecamp you can create Lists and List Folders (which can be nested to multiple levels). You only see the Routes, Waypoints and Tracks within the selected Lists or List Folders. This allows you to organise your routes, for example I use a List Folder for every tour. If you select the My Collection folder then everything is displayed.

I only transfer (Send to Device, via USB) the Routes, Waypoints and Tracks I need for a ride out or tour from Basecamp into the sat nav. If you put the ROutes etc. on a memory card installed in the sat nav, you can import them as required. There is an option on the sat nav to display Tracks on an individual basis and to change the colour.

One of the quirks of Basecamp is that when you Copy and Paste an object (Route, Waypoint or Track) you don't duplicate the object. All the copies are links back to the original object (all the objects have the same name, regardless of which folder or list they are in), so if you change any instance of of a copied object you change them all. You can Duplicate an object but this must have a unique name with all the objects in My Collection. This sounds a bit strange but it can be very useful.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Steve was a little less verbose and beat me to it... :rolleyes:

Yes, it does that. Transparent still shows the line of the route, just not a fat thick colour with a border.

It sounds to me like you have everything in the root 'My Collection' folder. You need to order your routes into 'List Folders' and 'Lists'. Right click on the 'My Collection' folder and select 'New List Folder'. Name the folder for a particular trip or something like '2020 Day Routes' (putting the date first is best practice for ordering purposes). Right click that new folder and select 'New List' and name that for whatever your doing. With day routes I would again start with the date such as '20200701 Snowdonia rideout'. That way they appear within the folder in date order.

You then create you routes, way-points etc within these lists and folders. By selecting a folder or list within a folder you only see the contents on that map. All your other routes outside of that aren't active or displayed.

Folders and lists can be dragged around. Dragging routes and way-points creates a link to the route, a sort of connected copy, it can all get a bit messy...

I suggest that you start using Folders and Lists from now on. You will then be able to see just the data you're trying to work on rather than everything you've ever done in Basecamp.

You can clear out your Garmin by connecting it and deleting old route files. The problem, in my experiance, with uploading routes the Garmin way by dragging them with Basecamp is that the naming of these files doesn't give any clues. That's why historically I preferred to save each route or complete tour. This is where folders and lists come in handy as you can export the contents of these as one GPX file and name it, then just manually transfer that to the Garmin into the GPX folder. This way you can return and later delete specific routes or whole tours. Note that this won't remove it from the route planner, you would need to delete that on the GPS itself.

Alternatively just have a purge every now and again having connected your Garmin to your PC delete all but Current.GPX and CurrentTrackLog.GPX from the GPX folder. There will also be an Archive folder if you've had your GPS a while, these are all the old incriminating tracklogs...

I have heard this before but in my experience it will pull you back onto the route using the remaining shaping nodes if it can. If the next way-point is closer than any of the remaining shaping nodes before it then I can see that it may well just head straight for the way-point. Having said that I do plan my routes and tend to stick pretty close to them...

Maybe I should try some serious detours off route and see what happens... If my memory serves I have done this in the past without major issue.

The way these devices work in this respect does vary with each model and probably with firmware updates too.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Thanks guys, much appreciated - I'm away to organise my folders and declutter :upyeah:

10. I get rid of all thoughs’ flags when running the route by selecting "do not alert on arrival" this also gets rid of un necessary audio when you hit a shaping point. I do this in the old Mapcsource program

#30 johnny, Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
Do Not Sell My Personal Information