1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garmin Vs Smartphone

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Leonidas, Jul 5, 2021.

1. Would like to hear your opinion. Will this work or should I switch back to Garmin?

-Quadlock wireless waterproof charger (their offer was missing some cables)
    - Iconic parts navi holder (how to stop the vibration at high speed?)
    - Waterproof USB dock (will be connected to MTS1260 factory power cable)
    - Quadlock stabilizer (this might fix the Iconic part, vibration issue)
    - iPhone X (should not have camera issues due to vibration as newer models)
    - Sygic navigation app (30€ per year with support for offline maps)
    - Hitcase for iPhone X (makes the phone waterproof. What about heat resistance?)
    - An alternative waterproof USB card (if the waterproof USB dock does not work)

I do trips of 4K-8K in Europe in all weather conditions. Is this the way to go?

IMG_3365.jpg

2. iPhone X is already waterproof.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207043

I'd go for a Quadlock case.

I used a Quadlock mount without a dampener with an iPhone X without issues. I now have a 12 Pro, and installed the dampener to be on the safe side.

The charging head works well - I have mine connected to a 2.1 amp usb connector. I can use satnav, track my ride and stream bluetooth music, and still charge the battery. Be sure to seal the USB-C connector to the head to prevent water ingress. This is supplied with later models - I was an early adopter and used Sugru.

Once you're down the phone route, navigation software is down to personal preference. I haven't used Sygic, but believe it's well regarded. Lots on here use the myRouteApp system to create routes for loading to Garmin devices. I use their navigation software too (can't remember the annual fee, but it's less than €30) and am happy with it - uses the same routing as Garmin, so is compatible when it comes to sharing routes.

#2 GarySN, Jul 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Garmin Zumo XT. Andy

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. If end up switching to Garmin what's the best way to attach the Garmin Zumo XT on a Multistrada 1260?

The Iconic navi holder looked good but it attaches to a part of the bike, that is vibrating by default. In combination with the length of the Iconic navi holder the vibration at 100km/h becomes very strong.

5. I have a Samsung S8, sat nav works fine. But, the charging port needs to be bone dry, if the phone detects moisture it will not charge. It is rated as water resistant.
    I think of it more as a back up. Connected to my headset I can get directions without seeing the screen.
    But, also have Garmin, recently installed my spare cradle on the Monster.
    IF you are doing serious touring miles, Garmin all the way. Features that are much easier such as needing petrol, just a few screen touches required. Phone is gloves off, re route etc.
    In my experience Iphones are very prone to overheating too, if running navigation apps/Google maps. No such problems with the Samsung.

6. As above; probably the biggest issue with using a mobile is that the charging ports are just not designed for this sort of use. I've had the charging port on my Samsung Galaxy S9 go bad in everyday non-bike use, my mate has had the same issue on iPhone and Samsung phones that he's used for bike navigation. He's also had over heating issues and battery/charging not keeping up with the demands of running GPS continually. He uses CoPilot which works well but I've run Garmins for many years and never had any problems other than the desire to upgrade to a new model every now and again which is sort of optional... Currently running a Zumo XT and very happy with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-367U. Successfully fitted to my 1200 Multistrada and an 803 Icon. Andy

8. If you're not using a tank bag one of those would work well. I used one on my 1260 whilst waiting for my higher mount DP mount to arrive. The higher mount, although it does vibrate/flap around a bit, is more in your line of sight.

I find the that Zumo XT is better in terms of vibration than the Zumo 590 I had previously. I put this down to the fact that it's significantly lighter.

If you don't have an XT, or other Garmin that's comes with the parts, you'll need other RAM components to make up your mount. Such as a short or menium arm and an AMPS base plate with 1" RAM ball.

9. Thread moved

10. I’ve got an original Navihalter I was probably going to sell (the original German one) which also has the 3D printed spacers that bring it slightly away from the screen. Used it with a 595 (heavier) and my XT with no noticeable vibration that I could see. I’ve used it with a normal screen and a short Pikes Peak screen

11. On previous European trips on hot days my friends using IPhones in a quad lock had issues. The iPhones shut down if it’s a very hot day . My Garmin never shuts down.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. My wifes Iphone will shut down after a few hours using Gmaps on sunny days in the car. No issues with the Galaxy. This is an inherent Iphone issue and whyI will not have one, that and cost with lack of expansion possibilities. My Samsung is dual sim and takes micro sd cards. Twice the performance at nearly a third cost.

13. I have used a Telferizer mount on a few bikes for about 15 years. Bob Telfer is a really helpful guy who will guide you and help you out.
    http://www.telferizer.com/

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Garmin XT all the way the screen is crystal clear and bright so you can see it in all weathers
    & the blue tooth connection is the best I have experienced
    I did use an iPhone for navigation a few years ago but had issues when I was traveling to Cornwall a few years ago overheating so wouldn't charge and had difficulty see the screen so went the garmin route
    Brought a garmin 595 which was ok but the blue tooth connection wasn't very reliable so upgraded to what I have now and the difference is chalk and cheese I would definitely recommend the new XT

15. After "pioneering" using a phone for navigation 10 years ago, my biker buddies thought I was crazy but things have changed a little nowadays, but...

I've had lots and lots of issues using a phone; unable to see the screen in sunlight, phone case steaming up when damp, phone shutting down in heat, unable to quickly navigate fuel stops are just a few examples.

For my trips I've ended up on more than one occasion relying on the guys in the group with Garmin's so I genuinely can't recommend the phone solution right now for serious touring.

But since my tours are a distant memory, I've never needed anything serious, so I've stuck with my phone and I'm actually looking for one of those Beeline Moto GPS devices.

But for anything serious, Garmin XT all the way.

• Like Like x 1
  16. My TomTom 40 has lasted about 6 years but lately has become problematic in the rain - read it won't actually work now when its raining.

In that time it has been out in hot summer sun in France and Spain - torrential rain in the UK and Italy. The phone has served as a temporary stop-gap but will get another TomTom.

17. I haven’t (yet) had my iphone shut down from heat, and have had it running in 30* plus UK weather all day but never much higher. However, I have only ever used it in a quad lock case, so it’s fairly open to airflow etc.

Have you guys who have had the heat shutdowns always used sealed cases to keep/charge your phones?

18. Yes to that

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information