1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Pikes Peak Garmin Zumo

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Timg, Aug 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Hi i have just had my service done, replaced the knackered battery & got new rubber ready for my trip down to southern Spain. I found out after about 2 hours that the Garmin has not been charging up since the service [ coincidental?] & i had to use the old fashioned way.
    I have checked for any obvious loose wires from the battery replacement but i can't see anything. I am hopeful someone could point me in the right direction. The service i had was not the best & i had to take it back as the chain was slack as hell no oil & this apparently made the downshifts terrible so not convinced on them not having anything to do with the [since service] non working sat nav cradle, it does charge up by a lead directly into the device. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance

2. My Zumo sat nav installation has an in line fuse down stream of the battery terminals. Does yours and did you check it ? Hope you resolve the issue. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  3. i plug zumo into dash port to right of display. 2x after service they have left the wire undone. Plugged in and charging again.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cheers for the reply , I will go check in a while.

5. Cheers will give that a look in a short while

6. Hi these were the only loose cables near the battery, one says audio in on the cable one says I think microphone Any help is appreciated otherwise it’s a trip to Alicante to get Spanish dealer help. Cheers

0CF63EEF-87C3-4DC4-AC95-4CC52A798C86.jpeg

7. I'm not sure what you mean by old fashioned way. Where do the earth and live wires connect to from the Zumo cradle? Use the battery to check the cradle works and powers the sat nav.

8. These wires have nothing to do with powering the cradle so did you connect the cradle via the dedicated socket under the tank by the headstock left side?
    Is it connected? If so check the online fuse on the cradle cable and check the pins of the cradle for corrosion

9. Old fashioned way .... map & geography knowledge.
    The Garmin charges up with a lead into the device so not sure why after battery replacement it now doesn’t, but beside the three loose leads pictured the rest seem secure. I’ve traced the Garmin until it disappears under the tank but I’ve not got the tools to go further.

10. Thanks for that with the loose wires, I didn’t think it was but when you are away from home & no manual or tools etc looks like I need the tank off.

11. If you remove the plastic cover for the emergency pin start up you will most likely see the shite connector on the left of the headstock right below the tank but my money is on the fuse which should be there as well

12. If you remove the plastic cover for the emergency pin start up you will most likely see the shite connector on the left of the headstock right below the tank but my money is on the fuse which should be there as well

13. My money is on the online fuse. Follow the gps wire from the cradle as it disappeares under the tank. White Connector can be seen once the black cover for pin introduction on the left side of the headstock. Fuse should be there too.

14. Thanks for your help I will have another more thorough look around the headstock cheers

15. With those cables going back to the battery are you sure that the sat nav isn't connected directly to the battery rather than to the dedicated socket? These days, in most applications, where the rider connects to the Garmin via Bluetooth rather than hard wired into an Autocom or similar, these additional wires are stripped out, separated and heat-shrinked as far up the umbilical as possible. With those trailing wires I suspect that the has been connected directly to the battery instead and either just not reconnected or one of the cables has been pulled from the eye on one of the battery terminals

16. A check around the battery for power wires of the cradle is a possibility. Thinner ones than the one on picture and in the case of my 590 zumo black and red for the positive terminal is in order. That is if the cradle was supplied power directly from the battery ( unswitched supply)

17. Cheers again for your help, I had a look but nothing apparent local garage here wouldn’t touch the Ducati even though he had a Multistrada & a Dival in his shop, he recommended the main dealer at Alicante but there shut till September! So I’m looking to try & do it myself which might not be the best idea I’ve had. Cheers again

18. Looking at the spare brand new 590 cradle I have here the power cables are bare wire, one black, the other red and black. However, the cable for yours looks like it's from another model. The right angled Mini USB B could be for a TMC traffic receiver, I recall having one like that on my StreetPilot 2720. Have a look around the battery area for any other non OEM cables.

They might have tapped into a + feed elsewhere. Quite often the power feed to the back brake switch is used as this is switched so comes on with the ignition. Did your sat nav previously do this? That would indicate that it wasn't wired directly to the battery.

19. Simple question: previously, when you turned the ignition off did the satnav say power was lost and shutting down ?
    If it did, it was using a switched supply.
    If it did not it was most likely connected direct to the battery.

Follow those three wires you have back up towards the front. You should find a molded lump where all the cables break out. As bumpkin says there is a red and a black wire fom this that are for the power and ground.

If you have an Allen key, remove the left hand black cover behind the headlight / around the side of the forks, by the fuses. It might be all the spare length in the cable has been coiled up, so it's worth tracing where it goes. It's only 4 screws.
    Also the left hand black cover below the tank / behind radiator. This is where the connector is for the switched feed on pre dvt bikes.it's a small white connector.

Finally, the switched feed for satnav also feeds the accessory sockets at the back. Plug something into one of them to see if they are working. If they aren't then it is almost certainly the accessory fuse.

20. Check the brass nipples in the cradle/back of GpS device, they can bend and contact is lost. If so it will not charge.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information