1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 Gear Change Noise At Low Rpm/speed - Chain Slap?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by steveb123, Jul 28, 2022.

1. I'm hearing a loud noise on gear changes particularly between the first three gears, both up and down, at low rpm / slow speed. I think it might be the chain slapping against the chain guides on the swinging arm. It's particularly noticeable when riding in towns.
    At town speeds I'm using the clutch rather than quick shifter. I've also noticed a lot of backlash is the final drive when shutting the throttle - again more of an issue at slow speed / low rpm.
    I've only had the bike a few weeks and I'm currently on tour with the wife in Norway so feeling a bit paranoid about the noises I'm hearing. Should I be worried?

The chain tension is OK. I've tried the load setting on auto and two up with panniers and it doesn't make any difference. I've turned down the newly fitted Scottoiler xSystem I'd left in on maximum which wasn't helping the paranoia as there was a lot of oil "leaking" from under the front sprocket cover.
    I'm going to try riding with the quick shifter disabled to see if that helps. Maybe I just need better ear plugs, louder music through the headset and/or a louder exhaust.

2. I'd try and pop in to a Ducati dealer whilst in Norway and get them to check it over. If chain tension is correct then you shouldn't have 'odd' noises coming from the drive train. I take it the rear sprocket is fine and not showing any damage/unusual wear?

3. Not heard this on my V4 just the usual "clonk" when selecting 1st gear then all quiet and I use the QS. The OE chains do stretch at around 1,000m so maybe worth a quick check, mine was fine at the 1st service then stretched at about 800/900 miles. I run the chain a bit looser than the gauge says , better loose than too tight. May be worth checking that the chain guides are tight on the swinging arm and no loose bolt heads protruding that could touch the chain? Other than that a dealer check - if you can find one near where you are.

4. I've spoken to the nearest Ducati dealer and changed my route for tomorrow to drop in and have the bike checked out.

• Like Like x 3
  5. There are new chain sliders due out soon for this, dealer should have info

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Check for a tight link in the chain.

7. The newly fitted Scottoiler xSystem statement caught my eye (I know nothing about them), no chance of the chain slack hitting the injection tube at some point on gear change

#7 dddd, Jul 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
  8. I think you should just cut your losses and set fire to it at the side of the road Steve!
    ;)
    (You might even be able to buy your old one backā€¦)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. On the ScottOiler question, having it set at maximum is far too generous. I've had the same system as yours, fitted to mine, on my 1260 for around 4 years now and have found the lowest possible setting is good enough. That might settle some of the paranoia, to some extent, whereas the rest, likely to be from chain stretching, which your Ducati dealership visit will undoubtedly solve.
    Good luck with the remainder of your trip. :upyeah:

10. My old Multistrada 1200 had the eScotoiler set at high flow & my mate on his 848 Evo thing kept whining that all round Tuscany his fairing had oil spots on ito_O
    Still it made getting the flies off it easier:upyeah:

3ABF9B82-362F-4D56-9BAD-F751A4395655.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. I'm back home now so here's an update.

I changed my route from Stavanger to Odda to go via Sigma Motor in Haugesund having telephoned them the day before. I rode there with the quick shifter disabled but was still experiencing very clunky gearchanges particularly up the box in the first 3 gears.

They were very helpful. Jan, the general/technical manager, took my bike for a quick ride and assured me that there was nothing wrong with the gearbox however he did adjust the chain for me as it was a bit loose - strange as the bike had only done about 500 miles from the first service the week before. Jan suggested that the gear change will get better as the kilometres go on.

Jan owns a Multi V4S so we a long chat about accessories. He convinced me that engine bars (or as Ducati call them "engine cover in steel tubes") are a good idea having seen a radiator holed when the side panel was crushed into it because of a minor accident.

So off I rode confident that the gearbox wasn't about to explode and lock up the back wheel pitching me and wife down a long drop into a deep fjord :) The gear change was a bit better but still clunky especially changing up into 2nd and 3rd in towns at low speed/low revs. I did feel better on the blast home from Harwich probably because I was changing up at higher revs.

Regarding the Scottoiler xSystem, it worked very well on the lowest setting, using about 3/4 of the oil in the reservoir over 1,500. Very little oil fling on the rear wheel/tyre as the chain is outboard of the wheel. A bit of fling on the number plate and panniers/top case. It seems most of the oil comes off the chain at the front sprocket and then drips onto the exhaust.

I've mounted xSystem on the subframe alongside the rear shock. It could be getting very warm in this location so I might try using the "high temp" oil (red) as I have a bottle hanging about. If only I had some Castrol R to mix in just for the smell :)

#11 steveb123, Aug 7, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Glad you had a good trip Steve :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thanks Chris. It was a very good tour mainly because the weather was good in Norway - we only had one hour of "liners in" rain out of the 10 days riding. We did have some rain on our "off the bike" days but overall the weather was so much better than I was expecting. When I get some time I'll post some details in Touring forum.

• Like Like x 1
  14. @Biot - you did really well not to knock yourself out riding your bike off that train :)
    upload_2022-8-8_9-56-46.jpeg
    @Biot
    upload_2022-8-8_9-55-27.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. It was bloody close at times I can tell you:upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information