1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Gear Indicator

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Cream_Revenge, May 24, 2017.

1. Hey mate! Was this easy to fit, and just plug and play? Any chance you could drop me a link to the one you bought, I fancy one for my 2012 848 Evo so guessing it will be the same model

2. Hi Coffey,

I purchased the Healtech GIPro DS-Series gear indicator. If you go onto the website you can see the one for our bike by searching by bike. Here is the site for the product: https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/gpds/ I have used one of these before on an old bike of mine before I bought it again for the Ducati.

I purchased mine from http://www.bikersdiscountstore.co.uk/gear-indicators-intruments/healtech-electronics/gipro-ds-series-gear-indicators-pd-16.php which was the suggested distributor. The part number they advised was GPDS-D01. The product comes with some instructions, but here is additional source which did not come with the product: https://healtech-electronics.com/docs/Supplementary%20Manuals/GPDS-D01_848_2008-2013_en.pdf

My Install procedure:
    Quick disclaimer: I’m not sure how long you have had your bike or how much you know about tinkering with it. But I have only owned my 848 for about 3 weeks, so I’m still learning and I’m informing you of the way I did. More than happy to hear better ways to do it or suggestions on your side.

I suggest taking the top part of the fairing off, I did not take the bottom off as I did not see the need to do it. It quite easy and you just need to remember to find the one bolt under the nose which is hidden away. I chose to take off the fairing on the left by the clutch lever side. This was due to me also installing an optimate cable which I attached to the battery. This is for trickle charging and to connect to charge a phone or GPS if needed. I then took off the seat and the rear seat. In the seat compartment of my bike, I found the diagnostic connector which is needed to connect to the GIpro DS connector. So there is a cover on the Ducati diagnostic connector, just take that off and connect it to the GIPro DS. Simple plug n play connecting. You can then use the cover which was on the ducati diagnostic connector and put it onto the spare connector on the GIPro DS as it comes with 2 connections. I think the spare connector can be used for other healtech products. Once that was all connected, I fed the wire through one of the holes going from the rear seat to the normal seat and then all the way along the frame and up to under the handlebars. I have then mounted my indicator next to the dashboard on the left. The kit does come with some cable ties, but I suggest having a few more as it comes in handy depending on if you make mistakes or want to move it. That is it really not much to it, the only thing you need to do next is program it to work. You can either do this on a stand or I suggest a motorway where you can get to use all your gears. You literally start the bike on the motorway and it should show an “L” on the indicator, you then change gears when it tells you and it will learn your gearing ratio. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

The one thing I will mention now is I plan to re-wire mine as I did not think of the heat of the bike on the wire. So I’m going to wrap my wire in a heat shield or wrap and then put it in again. I’m not sure how important it is, but I’m planning on doing it. I did e-mail healtech about it and this is the response I got within a few hours of sending the e-mail.

Healtech Response:

Please try to route the GPDS harness farther away from the ignition coil wires, the coil and spark plugs. Also route the cable farther away from the ECU wiring harness as much as possible. Heat shouldn't be a problem.

Let me know if you have any further questions. I’m based in London and you welcome to drop by to have a look. I’m not sure where you are based and if that helps.

Cheers

3. Thank you very much for taking the time for that reply! Perfect mate, thank you, I will get one ordered! I'm happy mechanically messing about so sounds great! Thanks again.

4. No problem at all. This evening I rewired it but added some heat shield as ice attached in the picture. Plus with the finished result.

Screenshot_20170614-215526.jpg

20170614_205438.jpg

5. I had exact same issue.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information