1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

899 Gear Learn Failure.

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Bo01691, May 17, 2020.

1. Evening all,

After being allowed back out on our bikes for fun I’ve been having a issue with the neutral indicator. I can select all gears and the dash will show me each gear correctly but when in neutral the dash is showing ‘1’. Give it a nudge up to second and it will flash ‘N’ as it passes between 1 and 2 but never whilst pysically in neutral. I’ve removed the sensor and can see the dash displaying all the gears including N as I move the sensor by hand. I’ve done some searching here and found the bulletin for the gear learn but can I carry it out? Can I hell! I can’t even get the C to display when holding the clutch in. Anyone else struggled to do this?

2. Check your rear tyre pressure as well, I had a slow puncture a while ago and the gear indicator threw a wobbler, telling me it was in 4th gear when I was actually in 3rd etc.
    I think it works on the rolling diameter of your tyre and if you loose air it knocks it to hell

3. You need to run a gear learning reset with the diagnostics before you can go thru the re learning sequence. In truth, if it’s started playing up, it’ll fail again in a short time. Fit a new sensor.

4. Thanks @nelly. Next question, will my JPDiag allow me to reset the gear learn or is it dealer only? If so I will also need a new laptop! :expressionless:

5. I couldn't honestly tell you mate. I have no experience with JPDiag. If you fit a new one, there's a good chance it will work without a reset though ;)

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Thanks for your help @nelly, I’ll get one ordered.

7. Ive got exactly the same issue including not being able to get the the "C" to display when holding in the clutch. @Bo 01691did you order one, if so what was the cost?

8. @IanR I’ve got one on order and hopefully will be with me by the weekend!

C5292FD9-586C-45B1-A8BB-4EDE9269D322.png

• Like Like x 1
  9. Let me know the outcome? If successful I’ll take the same action

10. Unfortunately I haven’t got a ‘Local’ dealer so found this whilst searching online.
    Will do @IanR.

11. I changed my GPS a couple of years ago and the new unit took to the bike without any issues. With regards to the relearn procedure... I have a copy of the procedure, but I've never had the need to use it. Out of curiosity, I posted a thread on another forum a few weeks ago to see if anyone else had used the procedure, and if they had, if they experienced any problems in doing so. I've received "0" responses thus far. I was curious, because somewhere along the line, I recall reading a post where the individual was able to initiate the procedure, but he had to disconnect/reconnect the battery (and I believe the BBS as well), to do so. So, there is a way to initiate the procedure, but the procedure to initiate the procedure is unclear. :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mine does the exact same as this and it’s gradually getting worse it seems. Problem appears to be most apparent when the engine’s heated up. Better get myself a new sensor as well! Did yours arrive? Keen for any tip on installation etc

13. Yup - that procedure doesn't work without the Ducati tool, otherwise the 'C' would appear each time the clutch was pulled in.
    The sensors are (IMO) ridiculously pricey!

14. Hasn’t arrived yet, hopefully today!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Assuming that the new sensor takes to the bike (as is often the case), then replacement is pretty straight forward. Disconnect the sensor connector (located around the bottom lip of the component mounting tray on the right-hand side of the vehicle). Snip any tie wraps holding the sensor wiring to the vehicle, pull the wiring to the rear, and free it from the cable guard located at the top of the timing cover. Loosen and remove the old sensor. Hold the sensor wiring at arms length so that the wiring can turn freely during removal and installation. This is especially important during installation, as you don't want to damage the new sensor's wiring. Installation is the opposite of removal.

• Useful Useful x 3
  16. I was going to do a little write up with pics for those who aren’t technical minded but you’ve covered it all here so you saved me a job! :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Take a quick look at "Breaking It Down, The 1199 Files, The Gearbox Position Sensor (GPS)" on YouTube for more detailed information.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Thanks folks, very much appreciated

19. Update: @IanR sensor came yesterday and I managed to find time to fit it this evening. Was just plug and play and worked straight out of the box as @nelly and @khmer1199 said. Haven’t had chance to ride it yet but ran though all the gears on the paddock stand and always came back to N. Thanks for your advice guys.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Ok, thanks for the info. Ill get mine sorted.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information