1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

899 Gear Learn Failure.

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Bo01691, May 17, 2020.

1. MelcoDiag's most recent release (version 1.0.6.4) includes a Gear Reset button and a Rolling Reset button under the "Resets" tab. So if you have MelcoDiag and a copy of the gear relearn procedure, you may be able to enter learn mode and execute the procedure. Likewise, I believe the Rolling Reset button will allow you to initiate the rolling reset procedure used by some Ducati models.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. An update with regards to the post above... while the most recent version of MelcoDiag does include a "Gear Reset" button, the button doesn't appear to be functional yet. I tried it on my 2012 1199 and it didn't respond. Likewise, a colleague tried it on his 2013 1199 and experienced the same results. So, for anyone looking to initiate the gear relearn procedure, it doesn't appear as though MelcoDiag is up to the task yet.

3. The problem has been resolved. The current version of MelcoDiag (version 1.0.6.5) includes a functional "Gear Reset" button under the "Resets" tab. Also included is a "Rolling Reset" button for Ducati models which require the same.

Tips & Tricks Bulletin SRV-TTB-16-003 is the relearn procedure proper. MelcoDiag is used to initiate the procedure and enter "learn" mode. The procedure contains 16 steps, but only the first 8 are required to teach the 1199 (in this case, a 2012 1199 - base model). The indications which are observed as the procedure is performed will differ slightly from those described in the Tips & Tricks bulletin. The procedure may (or may not) operate in the same manner for the other Ducati models (899 Panigale, Diavel, Multistrada 1200, Hypermotard 939, Hypermotard 939 SP, Hyperstrada 939, Monster 1200 R-all versions/model year) listed in the bulletin.

Connect your laptop to the bike, open MelcoDiag, click on "Gear Reset" under the "Resets" tab, close MelcoDiag, and disconnect the cables from the bike. When you click on the "Gear Reset" button, a flashing "C" will appear in the gear window on the dash pad and will flash in sync with the dash pad's green neutral indication. You can key the bike "ON" or "OFF" as you please, as each time the bike is keyed back "ON," the flashing "C" and neutral indication will reappear on the dash. You won't be able to clear it until the procedure has been successfully completed. This initiation process can be performed prior to warming the bike, or immediately thereafter... it makes no difference. Worth noting... once the process has been initiated (a flashing "C" and green neutral indication present on dash), the starter button will be inhibited. The side stand must be raised and the clutch lever depressed in order to start the bike. Throttle response will be erratic as well... simply let the bike run at idle speed until reaching the temperature required to perform the procedure.

1. Place the rear of the bike on a stand and put the bike in neutral.
    2. Beginning with a cold engine, start the engine and allow it to warm. Coolant temperature, as shown on the dash, must remain above 176 degrees throughout the procedure. It doesn't take very long to perform the procedure, but to ensure that I had ample time, I allowed the vehicle to heat to more than 200 degrees. Once the bike has warmed sufficiently, stop the engine. Return the key to the "ON" position thereafter (you can key the bike "OFF" and then return it to the "ON" position, or you can leave the bike keyed in the "ON" position and toggle the handlebar kill switch to stop the engine... again, it makes no difference).
    3. Although the letter "C" and the green neutral indication are already flashing on the dash, depress the clutch lever fully and release.
    4. Push the rear wheel forward and simultaneously push the shift pedal downward, selecting 1st gear.
    5. Depress the clutch lever fully and release.

Note: As the clutch lever is released, a "-" will appear momentarily in the dash pad's gear window as the clutch switch toggles states.

6. Wind the rear wheel slightly rearward and then turn the wheel forward while simultaneously pulling the shift pedal upward, selecting 2nd gear.
    7. Depress the clutch lever fully and release.
    8. Continue working in the same manner (repeating steps 6 & 7) for 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th gears.

The learning part of the procedure is complete. Yes, the letter "C" and the green neutral indication will still be seen flashing on the dash. Key the bike "OFF" and allow it to power down completely (~30 Seconds). Thereafter, key the bike "ON" ...the information has been acquired and the gear window on the dash should correctly reflect the actual gear that's been selected. Verify all gears. If a mistake was made and the dash doesn't correctly reflect the actual gear that's been selected, the procedure will have to be repeated. Should that be the case, key the bike "OFF" and allow the system to power down completely (~30 seconds). Use MelcoDiag to re-initiate the procedure so that the flashing "C" and the green neutral indications are present on the dash pad. Thereafter, key the bike to the "ON" position and repeat steps 3 through 8, keeping in mind that the coolant temperature should not fall below 176 degrees during the procedure.

Note: During the procedure, as the rear wheel is turned forward and a gear is selected, a sound may be (or may not be) heard emanating from the airbox. It sounds like the ETV motors cycling... no cause for alarm.

This procedure has been repeated during four separate sessions over the past two days and it works consistently. I won't be able to ride until the weekend, but if any anomalies are experienced during the road test, an update will be posted.

• Useful Useful x 3
  4. Thought I'd follow up on the outcome of my sensor. As my Pani 899 was due its MOT I asked the dealer to re-teach the sensor before I commited to buying a replacement. So far the re-teach has done the job, however I'll be keeping en eye on it to see if it starts drifting again.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Were you at the dealer when they performed the procedure? If so, what temperature did they heat the bike to before beginning the procedure? While working on the procedure above, I observed the following: If the procedure is performed at, or above, the prescribed temperature, all indications are correct, but after the bike cools the bike might register as being in either 1st or 2nd when it's actually in neutral. Conversely, if the procedure is conducted below the recommended temperature, all indications display correctly, but when the bike heats up, again the bike will register as being in 1st or 2nd when it's in neutral. There seems to be a very specific "sweet spot" during which the procedure should be performed. I haven't nailed it down yet.

6. I was at the dealer but did not observe the recommended procedure. However, on a previous occasion I had asked for a copy of the service bulletin to have a go myself. Unfortunately you can’t do it yourself as the bike needs to be connected to the Ducati diagnostics system to get the necessary teach mode using the clutch. Putting all that aside the answer to your question is that engine temp must be above 80deg C for the whole procedure. See attached image from the Service Bulletin.

If you want the whole doc I’m happy to forward a image but as stated above it needs the diagnostics connected. Unless anyone know different?

since the dealer did the re-teach the bike has done a couple of long rides and a Trackday without a glitch. 6684001E-D45F-493A-A087-F962AC1DAAA9.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yeah, I have a copy of the procedure, thanks... and as of the release of MelcoDiag (version 1.0.6.5), the procedure can be initiated and completed without dealer intervention. The problem seems to be nailing down the ideal temperature required to complete the procedure successfully. If I run through the procedure with the temperature above 80 degrees, all the gears register normally until the bike cools. After cooling, neutral will display as either 1st or 2nd. If the procedure is performed without heating the engine, the gears register correctly, but neutral will display as 1st or 2nd when the vehicle is warmed. I'll have to experiment with it further... glad you're sorted though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. i do it but is not reset....i see in dash only ''-''??

9. It's possible in your case that you're dealing with a failed sensor, in which case MelcoDiag may be unable to initiate the relearn procedure. If the sensor is good, and only the relearn procedure must be performed to learn the gears, a flashing "C" should immediately appear in the gear window after clicking on the "Gear Reset" tab in MelcoDiag.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information