1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gen1 Or Gen2

Discussion in 'Diavel & XDiavel' started by Lazzzydog, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Help me out here about the changes that were made to the Gen2 Diavel. I can see the small cosmetic changes to headlight and plastics but is there more to it that makes a later bike a better ride or is there no real difference to the riding experience? I am surprised how many are out there for sale considering I very rarely see one on the road so I am thinking that I will take my time and buy one that really floats my boat. Any input from owners would be very helpful in cutting down the miles in fruitless viewing if one or other is the “one” to go for.
    TIA
    Tony.

2. You will see from many of my posts, my girlfriend rides a 2012MY which now has 20,000 plus miles on it and it is her forever bike. I will say that the suspension on both gen 1 and 2 models is basic. Mad romantic fool that I am, I bought her an Onlins rear shock for her birthday and we are now looking at changing the springs on the forks. The bike has a longer wheel base so doesn't ride like a sports bike but that doesn't detract from the fact it likes being ridden with enthusiasm. Andy

#2 Android853sp, Jun 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  3. I had the Carbon Gen1 .. changed the suspension and had it remapped . It transformed the bike
    If you find one with suspension upgrades vs one without and condition is comparable .. get the one with the mods
    The Gen2 has the twinspark engine too .. some like the smoothness over the single spark gen1 .. and it had a fuel gauge ... I think

5. Thanks for the replies gentlemen, very helpful. So much for biding my time, I have arranged to go and see a Gen 2 Carbon tomorrow.
    Anybody wanna buy a nice Triumph Explorer XC fully kitted?

6. Hi, had similar thoughts and confusion early 2017.

Ended up buying a 2 1/2 year old Gen 2 Carbon Red .... love it, can’t see me swapping this anytime soon.

Mine had the full termi system, with the DP map loaded. I’ve since added an Ohlins rear shock.

Love the bike, can give quite a few sports bike a surprise :)

7. That is good to know because I have just paid a deposit on a Gen 2 Carbon Red with some tasteful extras. Mine is coming with a really loud titanium can but I think it will be too noisy for me so the standard one will go on until I decide on a replacement. From what I have found out the Gen 2 just edges it over the Gen 1 but is still a bit snatchy in full power mode despite the twin spark engine. I will post some photos when I get it.

8. Great move, brilliant bike, looks and rides awesome.

9. Just ridden it 110 miles home from Skipton. I am hooked already. I was looking for a modern version of my Buell X1 that I have had since new in 2001 and this is it. Quirky looks with good handling and a grunty motor. I am not looking forwards to the tyre bills with that back tyre though.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Easy bike to ride quick and get addicted too.

Not that bad for tyres, about £135 for the Pirelli, or £170 for the Michelin. Heard very good things about the Michelin.

11. If you look around, there are good prices to be had on Pirellis. I paid £120 fitted the last time and £112 supply only the time before. There were no Michelins available when I bought last time. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  12. I just paid £260 less £30 rebate from Michelin for the latest Michelin 5’s on a Triumph Explorer 1200 x1 so the up front cost will not be too different but I expect I will wear them out a lot quicker. I did a few local miles today with a couple of pals on Multi’s and I am starting to gel with it already. This bike makes you feel special and has put a silly grin back on my face.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. 6EAEE507-91B8-4FF6-818E-F0FA67986F23.jpeg F91D93AE-F418-4D5D-8D75-E00B9EF40D47.jpeg F494A877-84FD-4A48-8204-CBEC76FB5A20.jpeg Here she is, Carbon Red with a titanium shorty can, Carbon petrol cap surround, frame plugs, Carbon hugger and an aftermarket screen. Bought with 4450 miles on the clock and 3 main dealer services! What the heck did they service with such low miles each time?
    The Triumph has gone and the Buell goes this weekend so this is my do-it-all bike. It’s gonna be great for rides out with my mates but weekends away with my wife on the back and luggage will be a bit more of a challenge but we don’t do them very often anyway.

14. Lovely bike Lazy, glad you've got the bins so close, you won't have far to walk with that screen!

:) "Joke".

• Like Like x 2
  16. Lovely bike, I had the Gen 1 and loved every minute of riding it. But you must lose that screen pal, its errr, odd. Just wear ear plugs, I had the full Termi and it was violently loud, even with plugs. Ride safe and enjoy.

Stuart

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Lovely, but another vote to lose that screen though. Soz :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Love the bike. Lose the screen :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. AA24490A-23CC-4657-AAE2-3E1DF0632F38.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information