1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genuine Parts Site Or Scam??

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by tim1664, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Normally have to prove they have sent it.... and if hey do that, it has a weight when sent.... so could prove that is the weight when empty.

PP have always backed me up and refunded in the past.

2. I have had the odd problem with online sellers who tried to scam me or refused to accept return due to poor description etc. PayPal have always come through within days. Full refunds once the facts are established. I have no hesitancy in using them.

3. If you pay with a credit card via PayPal you lose significant protections that you would otherwise have if you had used the credit card directly with the retailer. You certainly don’t get double bubble protection.

PayPal’s own protections are significantly inferior, not in any way backed up by law and may, depending on the circumstances, be as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Buyer beware.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/PayPal-Section75/

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. OK I'm interested to know who has actually had a problem with a purchase made using PayPal and been let down, not covered/ protected?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Me, obviously.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Goods to the value of £550 paid for with a credit card via PayPal.

Never delivered due to company going into administration, fell outside of PayPal’s own protections, not covered on credit card via Section 75 as bought via PayPal, at the bottom of a long list of creditors as the administrator does their thing, net result loss of £550.

Buyer beware.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. #27 Hyperextended, Sep 6, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. I’m very pleased for everyone that’s never had a problem with PayPal.

But just be aware in terms of consumer protections it is not as safe as paying directly with a credit card to the retailer and, as such, one day that might bite you.

Is all.

9. Sorry if I am missing the point here. I haven't read all of PayPals conditions, but what reason did they give to not protect you? Are you saying that any purchases made using PayPal with a seller who goes into administration are forfeit?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I fell foul of PayPal’s time limit on a claim. I’d bought from the buyer on a number of occasions before, both online and in person at their shop. They were an art dealer. I gave them the benefit of the doubt when they gave reasons for the delays as they’d always appeared genuine in the years I’d been buying stuff from them. With the fact I’d paid and ordered pre-production so to speak, then the subsequent delays with plausible reasons given and time passed such that when they stopped talking completely that was when further investigation revealed they’d gone into administration and also over PP’s time limit for claiming.

If I’d bought directly the time between the initial purchase and the administration would not have been an issue under Section 75 and I should have got a full refund from the card company, but buying through PP negated that.

Personally I won’t use PP for any purchase that extends into three or more figures. I value the greater protections in law offered by Section 75 over PayPal’s own, more limited and with no legal backing behind them, protections.

But everyone is free to make their own choices, just may pay to make sure one is aware of the pros and cons should one be conned.

11. Thanks for that Masklin, and sorry you lost so much cash, especially when it was someone you got to know and trust who shafted you. GRRR...

To be honest for me the great strength of PayPal is that I can buy things at long distance from private individuals with minimal risk (though I will be keeping a close eye on the purchase dates now) which is what I use it for, mostly on items from eBay.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I ordered a new hand guard (I lent the bike against a wall being lazy and it snapped!) from them on Monday, got it Thursday, was packaged really well and they even have their own personalised packing tape so it certainly is working and was quite a bit cheaper than others, I think you have been robbed by the delivery company.

13. I use them loads for my Mirrormaster.com business and they are better value and loose less than the Royal Mail.
    Over a few thousand shipments, they have "lost" 7 items.
    Royal Mail are a joke.... sent a £700 order by SPECIAL and paid nearly £30. It was lost, never got past the first sorting depot.
    Never received a penny. They wanted proof of cost, not the invoice value. Since we make the item I have no inward invoice to prove value.
    After many weeks of wrangling I never received a penny. Had to make the whole order again and took them to the client by hand.

14. This could be a genuine error..... envelope was sealed by the dealer and sent empty...... I've a "friend" who's done this more than once.... beer head in the morning when packing..
    Annoying that the seller isn't dealing with the issue.

You can tell the character of a business by how they deal with things when they go wrong.
    Even the best of us can make mistakes....

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Thank you all for the feedback. I have contacted Paypal by phone and as commented above, they were very helpful and have reopened the case. They have to give the seller another 10 days to respond but will hopefully get a result this time!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Good grief.
    That's appalling :0

17. Holy thread resurrection! This happened
    To me, pretty sure I was drunk when I ordered the parts, then forgot and two
    Months later (at least) inmoto delivered the bits. It was quite a surprise.

18. Holy thread resurrection indeed! Just 1 thing i want to point out on PayPal's claim time limit, credit card companies have a time limit to make a claim too.

19. #40 GunZenBomZ, Mar 9, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
Do Not Sell My Personal Information