1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 Gets Toasty In Traffic

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by fishead, May 28, 2019.

1. hello everyone, hoping someone might have had similar experience or understands my concern

all good on the move, no probs at all, get into town or slow moving traffic an she gets a lil toasty for my liking ! ive rewired the fans on a separate low temp fan switch, cuts in bout 93 an out bout 83, fans all good, cool system all good, stat pump ect ect all checked an good.

in town ect fans cut in ok but temp still climbs, hasn't boiled over or anything but I do start panicking when she goes over 110 and have pulled over an stopped at times [fans wired perm live]

ive done some searching an so far ive got

poss header tank cracked, £30 from ducati will prob jus order one for piece of mind

map ! its got 45 termis on it, std downpipes ? link pipes ? the vertical pair by right leg
    I have no idea whats inside the ecu so id guess at std map
    does anybody know if running std map with cans will lean it out enough to cause it to run hot ?

thank you very much for any help/advice

update, I changed the header tank for a new genuine one, low speed coolant temps rise very slightly slower but didn't sort it
    now gonna start investigating scourcing higher cfm cooling fans

#1 fishead, May 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  2. If it helps at all, it is a Ducati trait - you are not alone...

• Agree Agree x 8
  3. 130 + HP and underseat exhaust. That's how it is unfortunately. Don't get sucked into thinking exhaust wrapping will "fix" the problem.

I used to ride my 999 in 30-35C a lot and you get to know how to position the legs so you don't melt them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Leather keep your arse cooler than jeans.

Stay out of town.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. The crazy thing is that they run worryingly cool on an open road, then worryingly hot in traffic.

No aftermarket gizmos to help either, although I have seen more effective fans advertised for the 916.

6. thank you for the replies much appreciated

I have read the ducati trait thing in my searches tho im jus not happy about it tbh, I don't want to spunk a load of £ trying to fix something that's not broken but I would like peace of mind of knowing my engine is not going to melt !

not bothered about my legs im bothered about my engine, ive had a v4 Honda for 20years im well used to being sat on a roasting hot box
    staying out of town, yeah but shouldn't have to, bike nights events bla bla queuing for the ferry, queuing for motogp entry ect ect, fact of life an needs to be able to get the job done

things ive noticed, 996 fairings have large scoops to evacuate hot air from the rad that the 998 doesn't have, ive contemplated Chinese 996 fairings to aid air flow and to keep my o/e fairings good

ive thought uprated hi flow fans but haven't found what im looking for yet,
    if anybody knows feel free to point !

my rad is very useable, seen better days but more than up to the job if it is infact large enough to do the job in the first place, chinese rads on ebay don't have twin fan fittings so will need to weld some on

before I go down these roads which tbh I feel is jus possibly masking the issue rather than fixing it, jus really hoping to see if anybody knew that mapping is potentially not helping things, I will get it mapped but was hoping to find some s cams and exhaust beforehand so I only had to get it done once

7. I did think of trying a thermostat rated to open later, combined with one of the coolant products that is supposed to cool more efficiently than standard coolant, probably the Motul version.
    Do you know what coolant mix you have in there atm??

8. I think they should be 50mm std?
    I know they are on the 998S and thought the 998 might be the same? Worth double checking just in case.

Ian

9. But they do get hot when going slow/stopped.

10. and the 999

11. So does 1198 and 1299.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Dude, I think we've all quite literally felt your pain... the problem is when these bikes were designed I'm not sure making them able to go really f**kin fast around a circuit was followed by "and really comfy to ride to sainsbury's on and sit in queue's of traffic..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. What model of 998 is it?

14. I had issues with overheating for a few months on my 998 almost all related to the plastic coolant tank. My first one cracked, the second has a small pinhole leak near the filler cap (factory defect) and finally the third I nicked the o-ring on the filler portion, oops. With all these issues I'd see decent temps while running but in stopped traffic I'd start creeping up and eventually get close to the gauge limit when I'd pull over somewhere and let it cool for half an hour.

I finally got the coolant tank settled out and went ahead with the Evoluzione low temp fan switch for 998s and now I'll hit a max of around 100 in 30-35 stop and go traffic around town. I run Engine Ice exclusively after a flush of the coolant system in the bike also. Overall it's way better now that it's been sorted (minus my legs being on fire due to the only vents in the slab fairings pointing directly at my legs and the fans being on quite a bit more now with the low temp switch.)

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Im pretty sure 996 fairings dont fit an 998 or was it the other way round?? Due to the battery being in a different place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. I have a 916sp and that runs cool even sat in traffic it doesn't get hot
    My 1098 gets hot but the fans are very effective and so it doesn't overheat.. Both have big vents in the side
    The MV on the other hand is a b****ard at over heating. It is slab sided like your 998
    The MV has four headers behind the radiator in a tightly enclosed space if your not moving air from there there is no heat exchange taking place other than in reverse and the engine gets very hot very fast
    I have a manual switch fitted for the fans which I turn on as son as I see a likely traffic jam. I have also fitted a third fan to it. It works It still gets hot but never more than 105c
    Does the 998 have one fan like the 916 or 2 like the 1098? You might want to see if you can fit a second fan or fit a 1098 radiator

17. Don't sweat it, or spend loads of :beer::beer::beer: tokens on it, you're not going to melt your engine. The first thing that will happen is that the coolant will boil, long before the engine could possibly get damaged. You'll notice that straight away so then switch off and let it cool down. However, as long as you have the correct coolant in there it's not going to happen.

If it were me and I didn't know exactly what coolant was in there I'd drain and flush the system (drain plug out, hose pipe in the filler neck, flush with cold water for 5 mins) then refill with the correct coolant, Motul was suggested above.

It will get hot in traffic, the bike simply was not designed to sit in traffic, but the temp will rapidly fall when on the move again. It's normal.

Re the exhaust, you should have 50mm pipes at least on a 998, are you sure they are 45mm? Also, if you have Termi cans on then the chip in the ECU should have been changed as well. However, even if you do have the wrong mapping it won't, IMO, affect the temperature the engine is running at.

18. IIRC it's the coils that sit in the way of the scoops although, presumably could be moved?

Seem to remember that 998 fairing was made to be more aerodynamic (race bike heritage) and that was one reason why they had 2 fans - to compensate for less airflow? That said they all get hot in traffic, it doesn't take long to get well over 100 degrees on my 916 but it's never boiled over and soon drops into the 80s once on the move.

19. My 1198 would roast my inner right calf in traffic. My 1299 boils my bollocks. My 916 gets a bit lumpy when really hot in traffic >105°C. All are fine once you get moving again and are only a problem when temp is >30°C.

I use a Leatt Coolit top in extreme conditions. Keeps you from being fatigued.

20. Why do small leaks in the coolant tank have such a significant effect on cooling in heavy traffic?
    Is it simply lack of coolant or something to do with pressure and vacuum??

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information