1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting My 916 In Two Weeks!

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by don quixote, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Totally agree with Cream_Revenge, I've swapped mine for a 1098 stand as its longer and the bike doesn't look like its about to fall over.

• Like Like x 1
  2. hello and welcome dude. Nice bike. Probably not ya Clasic learners bike but take it easy and youl be fine.
    watch out for the crap turning circle and good front brakes. Can be an embarrassing combination.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Welcome ,nice bike,take it easy though

4. Get on a track with an instructor asap. It is a) safer than road riding, b) you will gain knowledge and confidence to make your road-riding better & c) you will never learn what a 916 can really do by riding on roads.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Welcome. Nice bike!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Was my dream bike in 94 ...never seen anything quite like it, I was pissed up at the original Bol d or and they had one on display..I embarrassingly tried to do things to the amazing rear end

• Like Like x 1
  7. Welcome. Never too early or too late to get a Duke. I got my first just over a year ago, after a history of Japanese machinery and a lay off during parenthood of young ones and speed camera shyness ;). Mine is a close relation of yours, being an ST4s. The very fact that you recognize that you need to gain experience tells me that you are keen on survival. I did a MAC course (on road) years ago and still use the experience gained on the bike now and in a car for that matter. They do not teach you to ride slowly. At least they didn't in 1997. Your bike will exceed your abilities, for now, but I for one think that a well sorted sports bike is a better steed than a 'commuter' or a scooter.
    I have lost count of the number of people who have told me how the sprung side stand causes the bike to fall, which is expensive and embarrassing. Be well worth getting that sorted as a priority.
    Good luck and happy riding. The Duke will see you right:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Might also be worth your while doing the Institute of Advanced Riders course, (IAM). https://www.iamroadsmart.com/courses

I did it a few years ago and i certainly helped me, plus I now get a couple of hundred off my insurance too. It costs around £150ish. Plus you will get out with like minded people for a well planned and sorted ride out. Give it a go You might enjoy yourself.

• Like Like x 2
  9. A couple of hundred of your insurance ?? Gee's , how much is it to start with ?? Take a couple of hundred off mine, and they will actually owe me money :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Thank you all so much for the great feedback. I will be paying for more lessons with my local bike school. It will cost me more because i'll be using their bikes, but i know its worth it.
    Im having a fair few bikers saying "we will go out for a ride one of the days" but tbh im keen to get my stripes alone on the Duke.
    Anyway, she came Saturday. Ive been looking for a monoposto tail, but time is on my side and i'll get one eventually.
    here is the latest pic of her in my garage..

IMG_20180114_201441.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  11. 3 months in and this is how its looking now. Love my mono tail. Hope you guys like how its coming on. Termi's next year i think unless i get a great deal on a full system. Happy riding! IMG_20180419_163606_448.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  12. Try and find a set of 50mm end cans with the straight though link pipe then get it mapped will transform your bike.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. What about the riding of it? How is that going?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Its going great. still getting used to getting the right revs on slow turns, islands ect, but i only past my test november and this is my first bike so early days. But ive had her going at a good rate and feel fine cornering at high speeds.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Don,,,Very pleased it's working out for you on this very special stonking motorcycle,,enjoy 2018:upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  16. Welcome aboard!

My first Ducati was the 916 and I toured round Europe on her on three successive years and she never missed a beat!!

As with all of my previous bikes - I wish i had kept her - although a basic Biposto I handed it over to a guy who raced at the TT and he replaced the exhaust pipes, (for the bigger bore), and put Termi's on the end for me then serviced it every year!

She was absolutely glorious - and the sound when riding through the European tunnels was something to behold!

Take care out there.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Wow Martian,! Sounds amazing. I know its easy to say and we dont know what will happen in the future, but i dont plan on ever selling it. I have the space and the bike can just stay looked up in the garage if i start to use her less and less.
    My bip is only 30 1995's registered in 1996 so for me that makes it really special. I was amazind when i spotted one of the other 29 on Ebay about a month ago!
    But it does look amazing with the mono tail. 37mpg seems unlikely though! I see to be filling her up a lot!

18. It needs a bin
    The thread needs a bin !!

Welcome into the mad house
    I’m a bit late i was poorly in January and must have missed you

I like that your red :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. My 748 with 853 big bore engine averages 43 mpg over seven years of ownership.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information