1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Give Me Ideas!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PerryL, May 24, 2021.

1. I am dreaming. Although the Police and the courts assigned no blame to me and a 100% to the other driver, the DVLA don't see it that way! I am doing driving lessons to make the best effort possible to pass the assessment. That will be for a car (I know that I'll get one, now) and then I expect further tricks and hurdles to getting the motorcycle classifications revived. The DVLA employed some vicious bastids and then thy had a good pandemic, with a few strikes, for good measure. So, those vicious bastids will be even more vicious and stroppy now. All I can do is continue with the driving and see.

Just browsing has been useful to me (as opposed to anyone else) as I wanted to know more about what was around. I haven't bought a bike (especially new) for years and I wanted to familiarise myself with the scene.

Insurance won't be a problem, if it comes down to money. I won't know for sure until I try, but I'll probably be 60 when I can go. I'll have a clean license and one no-fault accident - although the bike was written off and I was paid out, although I'll offer to repay the insurance co when my case is settled.

And I've now changed my mind about what bike, yet again. I'm not even going to bother share that. I always knew that the used stuff would probably not be available when I am ready and now I've decided to buy new, anyway - unless what I've decided on is available from a dealer as a good second-hand jobbie.

That's why I'm shutting up about what bike to buy. It's just boring and even I get bored with it!

It won't be a Ducati, though. I plan on keeping the ST3 and part-exing the ST2, when I get it back together. The good news on that (for me) is that I can get around walk much better, now and can go back to my garage and workshop while using foul language much better now!!!

My sol hasn't done much as she was waiting to hear about my progress. I have a leg ulcer appointment at Stroud Hospital in August, that I may cancel, as everything is fine now and I've been foamed. Then, it is just a matter of waiting for the outcome of my driving license. I think that she is not bothering to do anything more until she knows the outcome. I don't give the case a second thought, these days. It will take as long as it takes and my sol doesn't get paid until it is settled - and her firm must of invested at least £10k in this - with Hastings Insurance p1ssing at least that up against the wall! So, all good!!!

2. If you are fit enough, why don't you ride, trials, light enduro or mx practice days? No licence required...used bikes are cheap and barely depreciate after 1 year of use.
    At least it will keep your clutch/throttle balance on the ready.

If I may ask what is this concern with 19" front wheels? I assume you are not planning to run track tyres on the shitty UK roads? ...if anything, bigger wheels are soaking up potholes much better.

3. The 19" front wheel thing was all BS - I doubt if I could tell when riding!

And I've changed my mind, yet again. Back with the ugly Aprilia, now. I'm going to Fowlups on Tuesday and will have a look and maybe ask for a sit on one. In the past, I've never felt very confident to do that, in case I did some damage. Now, I feel more confident!

4. And I do think that it looks nice from this angle:
    upload_2021-6-27_15-20-57.png

5. That's very good news!

PS.
    The black camoflage paint does hide the s/arm. But what is that thing on top of the tail fairing? Is is some kind of tail spoiler?

#65 Jez900ie, Jun 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  6. And it is still this, v the Ducati Supersport S - although I don't think that the Supersport is particularly good looking, without modding the exhaust and rear mudguard to number plate affair!

7. Think so and it does look crap. Hopefully, there will be one in Fowlers, on Tuesday for me to have a good look at.

I may have to re-think things as I will care what the bike looks like - I've got poor form in this respect, as I've bought some real dogs over the years - the CX500 stands out as the worst - in fact, every Honda! I wanted to go fully-faired but still the KTM Duke is the best looking, I think. Fowlups also do KTM and I'll have a gander if they have one in.

That is why out of my four best options - KTM Duke R, Ducati Supersport S, Aprilia RS660, and the Kawasaki 650 Ninja, none is "perfect". This is why I change my mind every 5 minutes! Supplies are going to be difficult with the pandemic and Suez blockage, EU withdrawal, yada, yada, yada... At least, I am in no rush!

8. Wasted the evening and even gone back to Triumph and BMW. My conclusion is that they are all butt-ugly. I wouldn't think it hard to design a fully-faired bike, with no ugly bits, for less than £12k, but obviously it is. I'll just stick with what I have, because I can't get into the idea of shelling out for something that has been thrashed with the ugly stick, to then shell out even more thousands to put it right.

There were questions raised about my eyesight before I could get back to driving. Obviously, nobody is making bike designers go to Specsavers, like I was made to do.

9. Gone back to Autotrader searching used stuff and finding much within 30 miles. A lot of crap gets in the way ad I can't find a way of specifying "fully-faired" at the moment. I can't even specify, "no Jap crap", as some Kawasaki's at my nearest bike shop (Frasers) do fit the bill!

10. So, back to original plan of just buying from either Frasers or Fowlers, used. Both have plenty to interest me and going back a few years seems to work with no manic thrashing with ugly sticks and then demanding a house re-mortgage to buy. Both are Aprilia and Kawasaki dealers and they do get a fair few in px for new stuff.

11. This is getting worrying....

I always promised myself a "reward" bike for all the crap that I've been put through. But looking at the stuff on the Fowlers or Frasers' web sites, plus a general search within 30 miles of me, reveals nothing that I would GAF about owning. I'm happy to keep my ST3 and happy to get rid of the ST2 but nothing interests me.

Maybe having a look in person will change things but as of this moment in time, nothing at all interests me.

Even resorted to Yams, Suzukis and Hondas, but they are all crap.

12. Actually, depending upon what I find tomorrow, it looks a though the Yamaha R7 could be my favoured option. At the moment - and this may change in the next few minutes- I can't see a problem with it.

My last Yammy was a RD250E (I think that it was a 'E', but not 100% sure) probably in around 1977 or 8, and I managed to set that one on fire changing the points. Better luck this time, I hope.

The rear number plate and light needs modding but I can't be bothered. I'll just live with it unless something easy comes on the market. Not available until much later in the year, but that could fit in with me.

upload_2021-6-28_15-15-45.png
    Whilst typing this trash, I had an email back from my sol. I sent in some expense receipts for my driving lessons and she can't open the attachments. So, at least my case is not dead. I did have a bit of a moan - I do moaning - about how long everything is taking. She probably thinks that I am a right, royal PIA, coz I moan all the time! I guess that they don't see me as a priority, right now, as we still have to find out about my driving license, before coming up with a figure to settle. Should be enough to buy this, I hope! They haven't released a price, yet (that I've found) but I should be able to get it even before my claim is settled.

I am interested in people's thoughts on the looks - honestly. The Aprilia got some (deserved) criticism and I think that the Ducati Supersport looks crap and so I am interested to read anyone's criticism of this - although I may not take any notice! I think that it looks fecking A in the blue!

#72 PerryL, Jun 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  13. This will be OK, if true!
    upload_2021-6-28_15-45-48.png

14. This is ideal. There are a few things that I could play around with to "improve", but the fundamentals are all good!

Just the small matter of getting my license back. I am going to see if my sol has any ideas. DVLA took my license away because I was honest and told them that my eyesight had ben affected by the brain bleed that I suffered in the accident. Now, I've passed the DVLA sight test at Specsavers and I've done droving lessons on unfamiliar roads, in an unfamiliar car, to show that I can cope. The accident was not my fault and the pandemic definitely not, either. But I am the one that has to suffer, I don't think that this is fair. I suppose that fairness does not come on anyone's radar!

15. Went to Fowlers today. The Aprilia RS660 is definitely a possibility. The photographs that you see are not realistic and there is nothing at all wrong with it. So it is a straight choice between the Aprilia RS660 and the Yamaha R7 when it comes out and the Aprilia RS660. I'll test ride them both when I can. The sales guy that I uncounted couldn't say for definite about taking my ST2 in px, but the said that he has never refused a bike before. They would not sell it themselves but farm it out to one of their network of dealers. I'll get it back together and road legal and then offer it here first. If no takers, then it will go in part exchange. Nearer the tome, they should be able to do me test rides and I'll make my final choice, then.

One of the strengths of Ducati (well, the Ducati that I have known) was to make beautiful bikes. Striving for the 200bhp target has robbed them of that skill, I think. I never ever thought that a Kawasaki could be better looking than a Ducati. I can say it now.

Times change.

16. You’ve lost the plot Perry old son, what Kawasaki is better looking than a Supersport?
    I admit to being a tad “challenged” by the fat nature & the bolty on bits of the V4 but even that blows every Kwack out of the water

17. Forget Kawasaki.

Straight choice between the Aprilia RS660 and the new Yamaha R7. The Yam will probably be about £2k cheaper than the Aprilia, but will not have all of the electronics crap, which I don't care about. I've now seen the Aprilia in the flesh (very nice it is, too) and will have to wait until the Yamaha is available, in October, probably. Nothing in the Ducati range comes close to competing with the Yam, on price.

18. Well of course it doesn’t, that’s like wondering why an Alfa costs more than a Toyota!
    But you brought up Kawasaki as a looker, they’re many things but they ain’t lookers nowadays :confused:

19. Yeah, I did bring up Kawasaki and "yes", comparing a Yamaha to a Ducati may not be a fair comparison. Maybe comparing an Aprilia to a Ducati is nearer he mark but it is all just talk. I have not got a cent at the moment, anyway! The order will still have to be: get bike license back, get money, get mobile, get kit, get ST3 back on the road (MOTed, etc) and then choose.

20. And maybe....by the time that I can do anything, Ducati might bring out an Aprilia RS660 competitor!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information