1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Going Oem Mono..

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by don quixote, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Hi forum,
    Just wanted to share my latest plans with you all...:D

Ive been spending a few months trying to get my hands on a mono tail unit for my BP. I missed out on a full mono tail with seat, lights, etc a month ago. They was asking about £560 ish exl postage and i was hesitant. (the item was in Germany) But it sold while i was still trying to make up my mind. :thinkingface:
    So then i played the waiting game and nothing was coming up. So i contacted Moto Rapido to price up all new old stock. Duplicating all the parts needed in the tail (so i dont need to strip bits out the BP tail) came in at £973.. So im thinking.. in for a penny, in for a pound... But then... i found something..
    Ive now got my hands on a tail from a 1995 mono... from california! And i paid £236 inc p&p for it! :astonished::joy: below you can see a pic of it. It has a scratch down the one side, but my bike is a 1995 and it couldnt be a better match.
    Im now budgeting on import tax from our lovely HMRC (gits!) and a respray. Im on the lookout for a seat and im getting the decals from moto but i think i can get it all done for £380-£400.. Even less if i remove parts needed from the BP tail. Im going to keep the bp subframe.
    Anyway, if anybody has an idea of respray costs, please give me a heads up. And any other points of interest, please chip in to the conversation! IMG-20180304-WA0013.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. For parts for the seat try this guy. Friendly service and an amazing range of bits including seats at good prices: https://www.corsasbk.com/ I got a fully painted non genuine mono seat for my bike and then all the hardware from this guy

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Blimey, didnt know they were that pricey. I have a GRP mono on mine that came with bike 20yrs ago. I'd considered finding an OEM one. Maybe I'll forget that. Although I have a ally SP subframe which I procured for £125 10-15yrs ago. So bargains may be had. I'll still keep looking, but I want a MS Prod airbox first for bargain pennies. But my 1299 seems to take priority.

I'm jealous, £236 is a steal.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Unfortunately as they got older and less abundant the prices of parts get more expensive. When I wanted to convert my 916BP to Mono, I bought a brand new (race bike take off) 996R seat unit, complete with the seat pad, lights, latch etc. and a carbon fibre undertray for £300.

I also picked up a good condition 916 headlight unit for about £80, try and find one now for less than £200...

5. Thank you for the insight and ideas guys. I like that the prices are getting more expensive. My wallet doesnt and im not wealthy, but its become my passion and i take the view if it was cheap, everybody would do it.
    I will be caling Corsa as suggested but i think im correct in thinking the wiring from the tail light is longer on a mono and my bp would be too short?
    Anyway, thanks again!

6. Lights/wiring are the same, the latch plate is different though so unless you fit a mono subframe then you'll need to adapt the latch to work with a mono seat/bip frame.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ah ok - thanks for the heads up. :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information