1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Gold Wheels?

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by gcon45, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Really tempted to have the wheels of my red 848 Evo refinished from black to gold.

Has anyone else had this done?

Pics would be much appreciated!

2. Not done it

But were the 1098R' wheels not a sort of straw colored gold? As I remember I thought they looked great

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 5
  3. @Dementor has gold wheels, after market but you'd get the idea...he may have some pics in his profile

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks for the replies.

I think if going gold getting as close to the 1198S finish as possible is paramount.

The official Palini D928 353 finish looks really good when compared to a generic bronzy gold:

1098R rhs.jpg
    Ducati Trips 001.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Have to agree here, the genuine finish looks much better in my opinion too... Having the wheels finished in Gold is also on my 'to do' list, link posted above was an interesting read and provided some useful information and tips.

Would be good to see some before and after photo's when you've had them done!

6. I prefer the black wheels myself.

7. red and gold wheels looks spot on,just like the mk2 rally cars from years back

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Standard 1098R gold is quite pale... It's a distinct look, but I decided on a change to 'Ohlins' gold to match the forks. Here ya go:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Just been sent these pics ,a buddy of mine got my wheels painted for me,
    I'm taking the BST's off the 1098 & refitting the originals , but wanted a deeper gold colour, think they have turned out great

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  10. Look very smart :upyeah: Few questions. Was you local paint shop able to match the colour easy enough? Did you go water based or water based? Lacquered top coat?

Any chance you could post some close up photo's?

Cheers,
    Ben

11. All the paint work was done by my garage whilst the bike was getting TLC over the winter - I'm fairly certain most paints are water based nowadays. Yes, went for a lacquered top coat, and over the Marchesini decals. Not keen on powdercoated wheels as they trap dirt and the gold lacks 'pop'.

Not great photos as these are from a phone camera and were taken on an overcast day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Have a change of wheel colour ear marked for my 1198 this winter too. Had just about convinced myself the original light gold was the way to go, despite 'Mrs M' telling me a bolder/darker shade would look better...

having now seen both yours and @Ducatisti1098 photos above, as much as I hate to admit it... She's right! Darker painted and lacquered finish is the route I will also take ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. I've just picked mine up from the bodyshop. Really happy with them! Tyres should be back on tomorrow so will get some better pics up when it's back together.
    image.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  14. IMG_7038.JPG

Newly painted wheels onto the bike yesterday,fairings need a refresh now but i'm happy with the colour :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Do you have a picture Bob of the 1198s wheels you had painted gold fitted on the bike?

16. Sorry,
    I haven't i'm afraid, the wheels came back from paint & have been sold straight away !

17. No bother, thanks.

18. Hi everyone. I've recently purchased a 1997 748 and am in the process of a full refurb. Does any know the origional paint code for the gold rims? Is it the same colour as the frame? The rims have been resprayed in the past but I want originality. Thanks in advance!

20200512_192242.jpg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information