1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goodbye, Quiting Riding. :(

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Claude G., Apr 12, 2018.

1. Swift recovery Claude. Think everyone here respects your decision. I’ve been there too except I chose the other direction 32 years ago.

Rich.

2. Terrible way to end your motorcycling life but most important thing is you are still around. As others have said you may change your mind in years to come which would be great after an only too natural reaction to such a major event.
    Good luck with making a full tecovery and best wishes for the future, drop in and let us all know how you are doing.

3. Hope your recovery goes well, riding for over 40 years and whilst I’ve been hospitalised nothing like that.

Many of my mates gave up bikes in their 20’s, I think because of mortality fears. Some returned to bikes, most did not. My wife started riding for her 50th and really enjoys it, I worry for her all the time.

I do get black thoughts when I think what if, as happened to you. Try and keep it out of my mind.

Jon

#43 Jon Seddon, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  4. Claude, I wish you a fast recovery from your traumatic event.
    Whatever you do now, I hope you get your health back and that you decide to be happy and not dwell on the “what ifs”.
    Remember, even men are allowed to change their minds....see how it goes!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wish you well in your recovery. I would do the same, I have found in the last couple of years I leave the house with a little ‘I wonder?’ Niggle. Year on year I do less mileage in this country then abroad where, it might be my imagination, but drivers seem far more aware of and far more obliging to motorcyclists. All the best, you can stay connected as a non rider you know.

6. Claude -
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I hope I have the sense to know when it's time to hang up the helmet and walk away as you have. I don't look forward to that day, but know it's coming for everyone of us for one reason or another.

Best of luck, and get back on your feet quickly.

7. Bad luck mate, not wishing to be morbid but what actually caused the crash?

8. All the best Claude.If you do give up the bikes,you dont have to give up the site.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. GWS Claude, Tough decision in many respects and hope your recovery is successful. As others have mentioned, don't be a stranger.

10. I so agree with this @AirCon , and admire your attitude. More power to your elbow!

11. Sorry to hear your news mate, and hope you make a speedy recovery. You’ll always be a biker, even if you don’t ride. Nothing to stop you owning a bike though... :)

12. I spent over a year in a hospital bed strapped to a machine to keep my leg moving and stop the bone damage in my knee fusing,I also broke every other bone in my leg and have pins,rods in my leg,I left the hospital on the back of my mates LC, crutches bungied to the back,however I was young and single with no kids,I still have 4 bikes and have always rode on the road,but my mileage has went way down as I get older and I'm starting to favour my old 3cyl gt550 over the Dukes ( more comfort less speed and same thrills due to the 70,s brakes!
    Get better soon and see how you feel when your bored on a warm summer day,70,s strokers can be fun!

13. Claude
    I know how you feel. The last of my Dukes - the BEAST - has been sold.
    Severe accident - many years ago now - means that I have (finally) come to realize that:
    • I'm not immortal
    • There's always some kunt out there who wants to kill you
    • you can't outrun the odds forever
    My replacement hips and knees mean that I am incapable of throwing my leg over a Rocket 3 let alone a 900ss bevel - my dream. The severe brain injury means that - after learning to walk again (it's really tricky guys!) my balance is so shot I'd be a danger to other road users let alone myself.

I still dream and I will always do the physiotherapy exercises in the hope that one day I'll be out buying another bike.

On the plus side:
    • I can walk - the doctors said it was unlikely
    • I qualified as a solicitor - I was told my brain damage so bad I'd never have another job let alone get a degree in law
    • I can drive (manual or auto) - I was told categorically that I'd NEVER do that
    So I'm just going to go on doing things that people say I cannot do and one day, maybe one day, I'll go buy that bevel.

Keep the faith Claude - and remember - even if you cannot ride - you're still a biker

Knee X-ray.jpg

Hip X-ray.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Love You Love You x 1
  14. PS
    Next time some girl tells you that we "men don't know the meaning of pain - try childbirth!" Tell her from me: Try having someone take your knees out with a hacksaw and a chisel (Yeah - really) and then screwing, gluing, and hammering new ones back in! The pain of childbirth is OPTIONAL bitch!

• Like Like x 1
  15. I bet you ain't going to let your mrs read your posts :D

16. I so want to give you a drama queen :grinning::blush:

• Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  17. GWS Claude, I can totally understand it.

18. Childbirth? Sure it may smart a bit, but you dont get an epidural with a kick in the nuts.

19. Id have to say an open nerve is the most painful thing for me. (Doc gave me a bit of wood to bite on before he opened it) i think after about 20 seconds i passed out...

20. during childbirth?

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information