1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gopro Hero 6 Black

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by camelfarmer, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Looks awesome.
    Looks like they've improved the colours and as always have improved the fps and quality of the video.
    They've also improved the wifi connectivity and made it possible to zoom using the screen.

£500 though. Plus all the expensive mounts.

I'd like to get one before the next time I go away.

2. I have a pair of Hero3 Blacks, and find that they do 1080 at 60fps. Would I want more? No as I have nothing that can view videos in a higher resolution than that. I don't have memory cards big enough to capture much video at the high specs of the Hero6. I have a powerful PC with 8 cores, 32 Gb memory and a £300 graphics card and that is only adequate to render the 1080 videos so what would I need for a hero6?
    It is all just numbers, much bigger ones that are little use to us mere mortals.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. From the initial videos the colours look more natural and balanced though. I've always found GoPros make things a bit too clear - uncanny valley sorta thing. The colours and lack of depth seem to be improved too.

4. Yes but the colours can be adjusted in the processing software for any Gopro camera.
    It is just the case of would I spend £600 on new Hero6 when I would have to spend another £1500 on trying to make the computer capable of processing the videos and then have videos that I don't have a screen capable of showing.

5. I like go pro stuff (got a 3 myself) id only get one if the price came down a bit and i was somewhere where the exchange rate was good (bought my 3 and one for my mate) a few years back in the u.s. I agree with both of you...nice if the image quality is better but not so nice as youre dealing with much bigger files... id say initially nice at the 6 has a built in screen - the additional screen pack on mine does drain the battery quite fast...sometimes i use the screen (if were on holiday and take it in the pool) and sometimes not (when im on the bike) although having said all of that i dont use mine that much - but i should alot more...!

6. Surely that PC will easily deal with 4k processing @Bob T ? A huge memory card hardly costs anything these days as well. I do agree £500 is a lot of money for the camera and probably another £50-100 for a large memory card so not a cheap package. All that said a Hero 3 is terrible quality compared to even the Hero 4 which deals much better with the vibratitons on a bike and the colour is also much better. For me the main benefit of the Hero 5 session camera I got after smashing the 4 is just practical ease of use as there are no batteries to deal with and they are smaller. I'll not be hurrying to buy a Hero 6 but they are usually worth the investment in terms of quality of video.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Go Pro is a syndrome a bit like iPhone syndrome. You spend a fortune buying one just for it to be out of date and worth nothing six months later because the 'New and Better' version has replaced it. I've got a Hero3+ black edition. It's great. Despite what the marketing companies say my eyes don't really need to see in any higher resolution than it provides.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Not so much the resolution but the features compared to my 3...no extra case, internal screen are the big 2 for me....everything else would be a plus...

9. Oh yeah that's the other thing that's improved - stabilisation.

10. I'm waiting for the Contour+3 2018 jobbie. Or whatever they are going to call it. They've already got the semi-basic contour roam 3 done but not their high-end killer contour+2 advanced model. I like it because you can fit an external mic & it does all the usual. Connect to phone for changing settings, checking quality of footage & remote control ability, plus you just spin the end of the device for vertical or horizontal mounting on stuff.

11. Thread moved

12. I've still got a Hero 2, Hero 3 Black and Hero 4 Black... didn't bother with a 5 nor will I bother with a 6. There just isn't that much gain now as people have said.

They've reached the top of the curve and the action camera market is at saturation point, GoPro should be focusing on software or accessories, their venture into the drone world literally took a nosedive with the Karma and DJI quickly washed the floor with them with the Mavic and subsequent Spark.

Until there's a big leap in tech I'll be hanging fire on any further cameras unless one fails.

13. I've replaced GoPros every time a new one comes out, however with the GP5 I've reached peak GoPro. The GP5's waterproof case without needing an additional case, touchscreen and 4K ticks every box. The GP6 looks great, however, there's so much hassle with 4K corrupting recordings even with the latest and best cards (Sandisk, Lexmar & Samsung U3 cards) that I mostly record at 1080p/120fps now. "In theory" these cards should handle a data rate of the GP5s max (60 Mbps, 7.5MB/s) but in the hostile environment of track riding I end up with corrupted unreadable recordings at 4K.

14. I have a Hero 5 Black, which I bought after borrowing my bro's 4 Silver to go snorkelling last year. It does 4k 30fps, and those files are big. You will need a very VERY well specced PC to do any sort of editing with them.

The Gopro promo adds all look nice and slick, that's a given, but the footage has been pro graded, and filmed using a gimbal. That's why they look smooth, try hand holding one and you wont see owt like smooth footage, even with the image stabilisation on, it does help but for good smooth stuff you will need a gimbal.

Now then, here in lies another issue, look at youtube for the well documented problems with the audio on the 5 series cameras with a gimbal. The issue is, there are 3 mics, and when mounted on a gimbal, they seem to pick up the motor noise as one of the mics is right up against the gimbal. I'm assuming the 6 will suffer the same issues. If you are going to put a soundtrack over the video then that's not an issue of course. Also, if you want to use an external mic, check out the cost of an adapter, and apparently you WILL need the official Gopro kit.

I have actually bought a gimbal for my jollies in November, but I doubt I will use the 4k option.

There are many other cams available as well now, the SJCAM SJ7 produces great images, as does the SJ6, look at the Gitup G3 as well, they don't have audio issues and are way way cheaper, and you can plug in a cheap external mic in without a £40 adapter!!. If I'd have done a bit more research before I bought my 5 that deffo the way I would have gone.

BTW is anyone wants a 45m waterproof case for their 5 or 6, I have a few new ones knocking about, £5.99 + post.

Just my thoughts,

Stuart

#14 CINNABULL, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. What's wrong with just sending friends a postcard when on holiday to say you're having a nice time?
    Its all a little bit 'look at me'
    :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information