1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gopro Newbie Thread

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by West Cork Paul, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Thanks, seems a bit of silly design fault, and something I never thought about when buying it:(

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Is there a port in the frame. You need to remove the door, not just open it, for this to make the port accessible. Open the door and, if it's the same as my HeroBlack6, grasp it between finger and thumb and just pull.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Very useful Bumpkin, thanks, yes there is a port in the frame. It did seem crazy that such a well thought out package would have such an obvious and simple failing. Cheers dude:upyeah:

4. Great decision buying the Hero7 @West Cork Paul

Absolute top quality kit!

If you get stuck with anything drop me a message & i will try and help you best i can.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Thanks, first test, tomorrow's ride. It's fixed to the side of the tank (tomorrow, I'll attach a safety lanyard just incase) and I'll see how I get on.

6. My settings i use is: 1080p 60FPS on Superview

Also turn off voice commands and wifi as this makes your battery drain quicker. I just turn the wifi on when I'm home to review footage.

I only have Quick Capture enabled all the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. I ordered one today...seems a good deal. Thanks....

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hey Paul,

I have the Hero 7 and Hero 8. A couple of things you will find unless you have already researched them. The wind noise is horrible. Unless you don't want to hear your engine with vision and edit a music track in, buy a windslayer foam cover (only about 6GBP) and change the Protune setting on the camera to "wind only". You can most easily do this via the GoPro App on your phone which can take control of your camera and make changing settings much easier.

Assuming you will download your vids into GoPro Quik software on your laptop (which is rubbish for editing) but does have the features of adding the speedometer and other gauges based on the GPS data from the camera there is a tip to know if you want to keep those gauges and do your real editing with other software (I use Filmora but there are a plethora of choices). You need to simply add the gauges of your choice then "trim" the video (just nip a couple of seconds off) and then save it. The saved video will have the gauges and you can then edit it properly in the software of your choice.

As to camera position, I suggest you experiment for yourself. You will have only received a small number of mounting options with the camera. You can buy on Ebay very cheaply (15GBP) generic mounting kits that give you a range of options to try out, from chest mounted, wrist mounted to a variety of bike location mounts. This is because after your first few vids you do get a bit bored with the same perspective. So flexibility makes for more interesting viewing. Don't hesitate to ask any Q's about your GoPro as I have been through the mill with them a bit over the years. I'll just leave you with a short video I have excerpted from mounting the camera low on the fairing of my track day bike, which hopefully illustrates what I have been on about.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Thanks guys just ordered hero 7 with the 64Gb card from gopro, @West Cork Paul keep us informed on you experience with it mate please or anybody in fact, this is my first venture in action cams!

10. @Brouny851 i like the footage from the side so you can see the suspension travel like your video, but the trouble is if i mount mine there it will mostly record the sky :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. How reliable do people find the sticky pads? Also what software are people using to edit any footage?

12. The 3M pads are generally reliable provided you apply, clamp or weight and allow 12 hours for them to bond. Of course, reliability is relative - when stuck to the tank where the camera when mounted is shielded from the wind they will last a long time. Placed in an exposed position where the weight and drag of the camera is a factor they need to be checked and I'm sure there is a speed limit at which those factors will cause failure.

As to software, I use Filmora, which is is a fairly basic editing suite, but there is a large range of software available that what is best for you depends on your level of sophistication and how long you want to spend editing.

13. I used sugru, i took the 3m pad off the back & custom shaped sugru for helmet mount (see page 1) i have no tether & have rode over 130mph! That stuff is STUCK!!!

Editing i just use Quick, does decent job for what i need.

14. Thanks @Brouny851 and others, much appreciated.

Well today I stuck it, using the suction mount I bought at the same time, on the right hand side side of my petrol tank (Monster). Made sure it had a clear view under the handle bars. Great I thought. Got on the bike, got to the top of the road, went to turn right - oh f**k it, you f**king muppet:mad:!!. I should have checked the bars cleared it on full lock :(. Thankfully no harm done. Phew. Pulled it off, stuck it in the tank bag and headed off as I was late to meet my mate.

On the way back I stuck it on the little bikini fairing screen, which is perhaps a tad too curved for the suction pad but it held on, even though it was shaking about like a jelly and the road was really really bumpy, it held on. The suction pad is good :upyeah:. I did have a safety cord attached just in case, some suggested that above.

Now I have to fiddle around with the vid and see what I’ve got.

15. The 3M sticky pads are more effective if you peel and then heat with a lighter before applying.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Anyone tried fastening to a pillion footpeg? If so, how did you mount and did it work?

17. I edited the thread title to make it a bit more apt as this thread progresses and I’ll post here some of my experiences as I come to grips with my GoPro.

Today was the first time I had to review the film I shot last Friday. Firstly the stabilisation feature on the Hero7 is amazing. I ended up using a suction cup to mount the camera to the bikini fairing in my Monster and used the L shaped arm that comes with the suction cup. The bikini fairing is not the sturdiest off mounts anyway and the whole thing was shaking more than a jelly on a vibrating pad but the output is as steady as anything:upyeah:.

I used QuickTime on my Mac to view the output from the SD micro card. Excellent quality video from the GoPro, makes me look professional :joy:.

Next step editing. iMovie comes with iOS on the Mac so I’m going to use that and I’ve never used that before either :(.

First thing is to import the 2 vids I made. Each is about 15mins long and takes up around 4Gb. Thought process is I’ll put them on the Mac then delete them off the SD card.

So a question please. The vid has a file name eg GH0100007.MP4 but there’s also a couple of other files with the same file name but different extensions i.e. .THM and .LRV do I need to import them as well? What are they?

18. I'm not sure, you could easily google those extensions. Just one thing, by not using GoPro's own Quik software you are missing out on extracting the telemetry recorded which can be represented on your video a a speedometer, map etc. Of course if you don't want those features then proceed as you are. :)

19. Thanks Brouny. Interestingly when I went to view I was given an opportunity to download Quik and install it but there were several notices on the GP site advising it’s now a legacy software and no longer under development. As for the telemetry I have to pay a monthly subscription to GP to get that info, which I may do in the future, but at present I need to get to grips with it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Also Brouny, I didn’t think of Google - duhhh:worried:

.THM files are thumbnail images used as photo previews

.LRV files are low resolution video files used as video previews

Both can safely be deleted as they will be re-generated from the original MP4 file if needed.

I couldn’t find the above info on the GoPro site, but a Google is my friend:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information