1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gopro Newbie Thread

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by West Cork Paul, Jun 5, 2020.

1. It's a long time since I played around with GoPro files but.... One is a still image (used as a thumbnail for folder display); I think that's the .LRV I can't remember what the other one is for; it's probably got movie data in it for using GoPro editing software. I always delete both.
    Do the usual thing with your editing software - move the .LRV & .THM files somewhere else then see if your software thinks they're 'missing'...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yes Paul, it is total crap as editing software. The sole purpose I use it for is to add the telemetry to my videos ( you then have to "trim" the video by a couple of seconds so that you can save it as an "edit"). The edited .MP4 file has the telemetry on it. I then go on my own way to properly edit. So it is a free way of getting telemetry when or if you become interested in doing so :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  3. I’ll have to check again tomorrow, I may have been mixing up what you get in the GoPro subscription with Calimoto, a touring app, I was playing around with today as well. Thanks for your help :upyeah:

4. Update:
    Used it for a 2nd days filming yesterday, stuck a helmet mount on the top of the front light on the Monster and mounted it there. The light’s not affected and the camera no longer wobbles like jelly. :upyeah:

However, battery life. It told me it had 3hrs + when I turned it on but in actual fact it died in less than 2 hrs:(. So, I need to get some additional batteries and a charger.

Any recommendations please? There’s a mega difference in price between the official GoPro batteries & charger and others. Sometimes there’s a very good reason for that, sometimes there isn’t.

5. I bought this batteries and charger set for my Hero6. I like RavPower products, not had a duff one yet. Battery life is close to comparable to the GoPro originals (I have two of those as well). Maybe a touch less but not by much.

The Amazon page seems to infer this is just for the Hero 5 and 6, not sure if the same batteries fit the 7, other listings seem to suggest that they do.

Allegedly GoPro could change the firmware to reject all batteries other than their own, don't think that they've done that yet.

#45 Bumpkin, Jun 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Genuine GoPro from Amazon is your best bet.

Think i got mine for like £16.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Beware the 3M mountings ... at least after they've been on for a while ... and you subject the camera to 120km/h+ (whatever that is in that odd system you use) from time to time. Unfortunately there is no warning, something just knocks you as you're riding and creates a debris field behind you.

I could forgive the Hero 4 as that had put in years of service before committing hari kari but my Hero 7 Black (14 months old) gave up today from its sheltered position under the screen. It happened as it was getting dark at about 140 km/h so I will return tomorrow to see if there is anything salvageable. :(

• Love You Love You x 1
  8. Ouch :astonished::(.
    Thanks to a tip from someone above Ive taken to making sure mine has a safety tie on it, most latterly cable ties.

ps, unlike those in the UK we are all European here in Ireland and use Km and Kmph:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Maybe a silly little compilation with the GoPro App on my iPhone. Pretty cool.

• Like Like x 2
  10. All done on the phone J? Including the blurred out no. plate? That’s cool. I’m still trying to get the hang of it all.

Thanks everyone for the continued tips/feedback, I know there’s w couple of others above just got one and hopefully this thread will help us and anyone in the future too :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  11. sorry, the blurred out bit was YouTube editor. Took me about 30 seconds to do it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. @West Cork Paul Being the intrepid type I was determined to backtrack and locate my lost Hero 7 and I'm pleased to say my efforts yielded results.

I wont be bothered with a separate "For Sale" post so: GoPro Hero 7 Black - unit is in used condition with usual signs of wear and tear, but may be a bargain for someone with a tech oriented mind (no battery or card sorry) - as an incentive I will throw in a slightly used windslayer foam cover - price negotiable.

20200621_151539.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. LOL thats a bragging right? ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Me for one guys, not even fitted mine to the bike yet, I'm not very action cam savvy, this being my first!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ouchy!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Now looking for lanyards on ebay!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. I use cable ties on mine. If I remember I'll take a photo. You can just get one of the smaller cable ties in under the hinge at the bottom of the case that the camera sits in. Make a loop with that then another cable tie can be looped through that (and so on if needs be) and attached to whatever secure fixing is available.

@Brouny851 ouch indeed:(. I'm assuming the memory card survived, that might make for some epic footage (always look on the bright side :)). I've been toying with the idea of subscribing to GoPro Plus, €4.91/month here in Ireland, so €60/£50 a year, unlimited cloud storage for movies (and they do take up a LOT of space) but crucially, the big persuader for me, is replacement camera if your get's lost, stolen or broken - seems a pretty good insurance deal to me. Do they have that in SF Cal, USA?

18. You mean in Perth, Western Australia, of course ;) Yes we do. I haven't opted for it in the past and am undecided as to whether to get it for the replacement 7 I am about to pick up. On the official site here there is a fellow trying to get his replaced under the insurance, at first they told him it would cost $89 + $30 AUD shipping. He checked their terms and replied it should be $60 and no mention of shipping. They conceded the price but insisted on shipping costs and that is ongoing.

That sort of thing does not instill one with confidence, especially when you add cost of insurance plus replacement cost and take into account I am picking one up on special at $399AUD. I may just tether like there is no tomorrow in future!

• Like Like x 1
  19. That’s a bummer, ‘yes sir you have insurance but we’re going to charge you $119 dollars to send the replacement’ probably the cost price of the camera. I don’t mind paying the postage but can’t see what the $89 or $60 is for. Even $30 postage seems excessive.

Anyway please do share the ‘GoPro self destructs film’

20. I certainly would, but as described in my "Ad" I could not find the card or battery ... they are the property of the Australian bush until discovered by a future explorer ...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information