1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gopro Newbie Thread

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by West Cork Paul, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Ahh, I thought they weren't included in the Ad because you were retaining them for future use on the basis they were/are probably undamaged.

I'm surprised how much it shattered actually, do you think it hit something, other than the road? I would have thought if it were just the road it would have skidded/bounced along until coming to a stop, bear in mind it's trajectory would have been forwards, in line with the bike's motion, albeit slowing rapidly due to gravity and then friction on the road. Yours looks like it ejected itself from the bike then smacked into something at 140km/h :thinkingface:

• Like Like x 1
  2. I suspect it did not clear the road and rather fell behind me, then being deflected off the edge of a tyre (I say that as all the debris was on the gravel roadside rather than it being directly squished under a tyre) - the card is a loss, the video may have been quite fascinating, especially in slomo.

• Love You Love You x 1
  3. Ok first output edited, generated & uploaded to YouTube, so much new stuff to learn here, it’s interesting. Shooting the film is the relatively quick & easy part :confused:.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOeyiVGNhnVI6TJ5Nc-1gQ

I think I’ve got to raise the camera, to get less road & more scenery and also get a windsock but all feedback on quality etc is greatly appreciated.

4. Paul - the YouTube video is really low quality (straight in, didn't play with any settings) - sort of pixelated. Screengrab is a good representation...

IMG_20200623_152647.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Thanks Keith, I just saw that on a mobile myself. I watched them both on the computer once they were uploaded and they were fine. I’m gonna have to play around with the export formatting some more :(. Ah well, it’s all a learning curve. Thanks for taking a look anyway:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  6. The Caha Pass vid was better and loaded at a resolution of 480p. 720 would be better and 1080 ideal, (although I think youtube defaults to 720 and the viewer can set higher - not sure about that) maybe your editing programme is compressing the file as it exports it? Are you exporting direct from the the editing programme to youtube or to your hard drive and then to youtube - either way see if you can check. Yes a "windslayer" foam cover will cut down on the wind noise. Also, on your GoPro (easiest done using the GoPro App on your phone) have you turned Protune "On" and set it to "Wind only"? This will also assist.

I don't think the balance of road/scenery is too far off to be honest, it certainly made me jealous of the beautiful countryside there. Can we look forward to some future videos of those curves being taken at lean with a bit exhaust wail? :thinkingface:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Ireland looks bloody beautiful...

Ignoring the monsoon that is about to appear.

The quality is pretty bad considering the camera, I just watched on my mobile. I would consider using Vimeo.....

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Paul, I think whatever program that you're using to edit your video is doing a poor job or you have the settings woefully wrong. GoPro footage should be excellent. YouTube does 'crush' the video a fair amount which degrades the quality a little, Vimeo less so, but you should be able to get very acceptable results from YouTube. Some video editing software has pre-sets specifically for outputting content for the various video hosting platforms. Might be worth checking if yours does.

9. @Brouny851 @Jewell @Keith_P et al, The exported output is dire :(. Having thought about it (but I'm going to check asap) I'm putting it entirely down to my lack of knowledge in this area :(. It will be rectified today:upyeah:

For the purposes of helping anyone other Newbie now or in the future, I'm filming at 1080p 60fps and importing the 4Gb GoPro .mp4 file into iMovie as this permits me to trim out boring bits from anywhere in the film (so far I seem to only be able to trim the beginning or end of film in GoPro Quik). When importing it the default option is to import it as "Large file 960 x 720", the accompanying blurb explains this will be sufficient for web based videos etc. Having done what I need with it I'm then exporting it to my hard drive where there are further options complete with a handy little table that tells you what's the best option for a variety of devices. I'm selecting the standard YouTube option including mobile. This is reducing the file size even further and bringing it down to 720p or even 360p in one case:(.

As it's been shot in 1080p I will override the default options at the various stages and will retain it in 1080p throughout the process and see how that fares.

@Bumpkin I just read your post and yes, I suspect that's exactly what's happening; the default options within iMovie have not kept up to speed with what YouTube and other web based video sharing platforms can handle data & file size wise. In my research I found iMovie's not been updated for a few years as Apple want people to buy and use FinalCut.

Thanks to anyone who took the time to look and apologies for subjecting you to output akin to a VHS tape from the 1980s.

• Like Like x 1
  10. If you want a decent video editor but you're on a budget then give Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve a try. It's free for the standard edition which will be more than adequate for your needs. Plenty of tutorials on-line.

I have an Adobe subscription for my work so use Premiere, however, DaVinci is on my radar as maybe a better all in one solution.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. I’ve used the Linux version of handbrake in the past, found it easy to use and good results.

https://handbrake.fr/

I’d guess the windows version is the same.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. I think I’m getting the hang of it now.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOeyiVGNhnVI6TJ5Nc-1gQ

The filming is the easy bit. It’s the editing that’s a steep learning curve, not to mention the loooooooooong wait whilst the edited file is exported, saved and then uploaded to YouTube.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Yes, vast improvement. However ... confession time (!) ... was the sound track because you are still having wind noise issues - be honest now ;)

14. Currently uploading my first attempt at footage to youtube, I encoded 720p x265 single pass, I used handbrake for the encoding, whats the best free editor. Be patient and kind guys, haven't a clue what the fuck I'm doing! :worried:
    Will put up the link shortly!

edit: link

15. Hmm, ain't turned out as well as expected! Any hints tips?

16. Being honest I was just experimenting with iMovie and the ability to split the recorded video & audio tracks, then edit either. In this instance I deleted the recorded sound track and replaced it with the Stones track then edited both to make sure they were exactly the same length.

• Like Like x 1
  17. That’s ok, better than my first attempt. You’ve got excessive wind noise, same as mine plus I have to view it on a laptop rather than the phone to see what it’s streaming at. One thing I’ve noticed is YT streams it at what it believes is the most suitable resolution for the device requesting it, it could be streaming to my phone at 420p but there’s no settings option for me to see that and change it, there is when in my laptop.

I’m now uploading stuff to YT at 1080pHD as that’s the native format it’s been recorded in on my GP, it takes a bloody age to upload though :( so I’m setting it to run overnight.

18. @BobTheBounder make sure you secure your GP just in case it decides to do a Brouny. Here’s mine, a very small cable tie through the hinge of the case then a thicker cable tie through that then another to a secure point.
    BA7359E0-62E7-4BF2-A276-DBD89EE3E899.jpeg 94C39254-07B4-4338-A90F-0304A99BB3A3.jpeg

19. As Paul said above, the higher the Res you go for the better the Vid quality will be, but it's audio that's your real problem. I'm guessing you're using a Hero 7 or 8 judging by the image stabilisation?

If so, you should have the GoPro App on your phone, which is the easiest way to change settings on your camera. So you "control your camera" via the app (which just uses bluetooth). Go to settings and to Protune and set it to "Wind only". This will help. But you also need to get a foam cover or "windslayer" as they are sometimes called for the camera. That makes the most difference. They are cheap and available on Ebay.

Oh and P.S. @West Cork Paul "do a Brouny"?? Is that my claim to fame now? :joy:

• Like Like x 1
  20. I as temp measure have secured GP7 to my LH bar thus
    20200627_193417.jpg 20200627_193426.jpg
    I encoded to 720p x265 to maintain quality for file size, original file was 3.76Gb, encoding took 38 mins upload to YT was 34mins as file was reduced to 830Mb, if I play 720p file in vlc player its far superior quality than the same file uploaded and played in YT! Am I doing something wrong?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information