1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gopro Newbie Thread

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by West Cork Paul, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Tis now, :joy: at least with regards to GoPros.

Still it’s better than ‘doing a Sooty’ so rest easy :upyeah:

Feck it, no one lets me forget the sprocket incident :(

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. I’m not familiar with Handbrake so all I can say is as follows
    1. I’m recording at 1080p 60fps, wideview.

2 The GoPro is automatically stopping each video at 4Gb which is around 17.5 minutes of filming. It will automatically start a new file when the first one stops. Thus if I record nonstop for the 1.5 hrs or so it takes the battery to die I end up with about 5 videos.

3. When I import the 4Gb file to my editing software I import it in its native resolution ie 1080p 60fps it takes about 45mins to import.

4. I then edit it by trimming/cutting the boring bits and then save it to my hard drive. It’s now about 10-12 mins long. I save it in .mp4 format at 1080p, H264, 16256 (something or other - this was my mistake originally, the default is 256 whatevers) and 60fps. I end up with a file around 1.5Gb - 2Gb and it takes about 25 min to export from the editing s/ware and save to disk.

5. If it’s going on YT I’ll then upload it from my HDD and it’ll take anywhere between 2-3 hrs :confused:

I’m trying to keep it in its native resolution throughout the process.

3. Bob, if it were me, I’d fit some cable ties through the hinge of that case and fix it to the handlebar as well as the mount. On my very first attempt I thought I’d screwed the finger clamps up tight enough but clearly hadn’t as one vibrates loose and I fortunately saw it rattling it’s way out just before it came out completely - phew

4. @West Cork Paul I went a wandering (as I gather you say in Cork) now that the 748R is running properly with cameras shackled to the bike so as not to do a "me" again - it's no Irish countryside just a bit of Australiana.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I think you may have the video set to private or invitees only - it's asking me to login.

BTW, I'm now researching remote microphones so I can have the camera facing forwards and position a microphone elsewhere eg nearer the mid of the bike to obtain induction and exhaust noise or towards the rear of the bike for more exhaust noise - more playing around to do.

Anyone got any recommendations for remote mics please ?

6. Doh! It's public now.

You will need a GoPro Mic Adaptor before you can attach a remote Mic. For a very long time they were not available so check on that as a first stop. :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. That works now, thanks:upyeah:. Nice empty road.

Where did you mount the camera? Suction cup on the tank, your chest, or chin of helmet?

8. Both with suction cups, one on tank, other on tail (if you watched that far :bucktooth:) and very firmly tethered :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Or get a Zoom h1 and a lav mic and sync in post. The Zoom h1 older Mk1 versions go for around £50-60 on eBay and make a great ambient recorder, useful for other applications. The fancy Mk2 might be a slight improvement but overkill unless you have deep pockets. A decent lav mic such as the JK MIC-J 044. Not sure if a slightly adapted Rode lav mini dead-cat to cut down on the wind noise would help or not inside a helmet if it's narration you're after, certainly does when standing out in the open on a windy day.

Using a mono lav mic will only give you one channel of audio in the h1 but you can either deal with that in post or make-up a mono to stereo 3.5mm TPS adapter cable from bits off of eBay to get it recording into both L and R channels.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Thanks. Aren’t Lavalier mikes designed for speech though, eg label mounted, or in the helmet as you say? I’m looking more to capture the induction/engine/exhaust noise off the bike and was wondering what others might be using.

11. Lav mics are, as you say, primarily designed for recording individual spoken audio. They can be used for close ambient sound too. Better mics for this are available but a lav will work. Didn't get too techie on this video but mic was in the tank bag of my VFR and was recording induction noise with a bit of wind noise. Camera was an AT26, not a great cam but had a 3.5mm mic input. The audio suffered from annoying clicks. Have a couple of GoPros now but haven't used them much.

Again the AT26 with the mic under the seat of my MV. See 2nd half of the video.

The mic for these was a cheap lav with just a foam cover.

A dead-cat isn't going to reduce wind noise from a container like a tank bag, only wind directly on the mic itself. Probably means that in a helmet its effectiveness would reliant on proximity to the mouth and how noisy that part of the helmet is. A noise cancelling mic would be ideal.

There's a video out there with a Rode Video Mic X, with it's dead-cat fitted, recording the exhaust on a Ferrari at speed with the mic mounted on the boot lip/spoiler.

Since these videos I've gotten more into audio, would be an interesting project to try and get some decent bike sounds recorded.

• Like Like x 1
  12. There's a lot of interesting machinery on the Silvretta Pass vid @Bumpkin and it looks a great road. Big difference (for the better) with the Hydro Tre exhaust over stock as well, especially without the DB killers:upyeah: The Rode Video Mic X was one that was recommended so I'm going to go off and find the Ferrari vid you mention now. Thanks for the input:upyeah:.

13. Turn right at 10.10 for your MOT's at Alan's :):upyeah:and try the Buttercrambe road next time...:motorcycleduc:

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Welcome the the financial rabbit hole of video production o_O:D

I have a load of audio and video gear including the Stereo Video Mic X as well as a number of other RODE mics. I don't make enough use of them but will never sell as it's something that intrigues me. Once my forthcoming house move is done and dusted (held up by Covid issues :mad:) I'm intending to start a film production meetup group.

The video with the Ferrari I'm talking about is this one:

Though I'm sure that originally they had one that was just about recording the audio for the car and went into considerably more depth. There is a behind the scenes one here but it doesn't add much.

You'd need a camera with a 3.5mm TPS in or one with L&R XLR to use the Video Mic X. Either that or a field recorder.

15. I had an Olympus Mic (can't remember the model) but the quality of audio recorded when connected to the GoPro 7 via their proprietary adaptor (which you need to plug in a 3.5mm jack - there's no alternative, they have have a chip in it so other USB-C to 3.5mm adaptors don't work) was poor. The Rode is a superior product but @Bumpkin do you connect it to a GoPro or record audio separately and sync? I am dubious about the efficacy of the GoPro Mic Adaptor.

16. As I don't have the GoPro adapter it would the latter has I have field recorders in the form of a Zoom H1 and also a Zoom H6. Audio quality with both of those is very good, H1 has limitations in terms of connectivity and is a bit flimsy but is very compact and would accept the 3.5mm TPS out of the RODE Stereo Video Mic X.

The Zoom H1 has it's own built in XY mic that works well but handling noise can be a problem. There are dead-cats available for it. Would take some experimentation but you might just be able to get by on one of those.

17. After I posted above I went off to check the price of the Rode Stereo Mic X :eek::eek::eek:. Whoaaaaa. Over 500€. Hmm, that'll be a rethink of the plan methinks. Maybe a cheaper Law mike will suffice to start.

The Zoom H1 you mentioned @Bumpkin is well under €100 in places, much easier on the wallet.

Interesting comment @Brouny851 re only GoPro adapters working:thinkingface:. There are loads advertised for use with the GoPro 7, at a variety of prices, but if they won't work then they're useless so thanks for the heads up :upyeah:

More research needed.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Guys sorry to pester you again, still find this all very confusing, what are the best settings for quality footage with maximum battery life, Settings I have at the moment are 1080p 60fps wide 16:9? From a fully charged battery I get 4 x 3.76Gb mp4 files each with 11mins 46 and 1 x 2.34Gb with 7mins 24, then battery depleted!
    Sound not very good, all wind noise with a bit of termi in the background! I thought I would be getting more than 55 mins!
    Any directions greatly appreciated!

19. You get a little more, not much, by lowering the frame rate to 30 or 25fps. Try it and see if you notice any difference in the footage.

Do you have the WiFi connection turned on, this saps power significantly. Do you need to connect your phone whilst recording, probably not?

Buy some spare batteries and make sure that they're charged before you ride.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Bumpkin, is it possible to change the codec of the footage is saved as i.e. x265 or matroska mkv?
    Thereby maintaining quality but greatly increased compression.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information