1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got Round To Cleaning My New 1199

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Deano84, Mar 27, 2017.

1. I'm pretty ocd when it comes to paintwork and when I first viewed the 1199 before it was clean I knew it had been washed badly by the previous owner.

It didn't have a tank pad so the tank, sides of the fairing etc were quite dull from leathers rubbing, back end had a few marks from what I'd guess was his boot catching when he cocked his leg over it.

I'm well aware this kind of thing doesn't bother the majority of people and some don't even notice but I like things to look there best and quite enjoy seeing the improvement.

When I picked it up the lad that cleaned it prior to me collecting said that he'd "really gone to town on it". Wheels were still dirty, chain grease all over the place, under tail section and exhausts all still dirty and I don't think the callipers have ever been cleaned but at least he tried.

Now I'm sure to most it looks fine but I'll show the areas that needed most attention.
    image.jpg

I got it in the garage that night and went over it with some quick detailer before checking the worst areas.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Got my da polisher and 4 inch pads out and started off with a medium polishing pad and some chemical guys v36. Having not machine polished a bike before I wanted to be careful and this was a fairly safe option. It gave good enough results so I put a sealant with fillers on top to finish the job. I'm yet to wax it but I was happy enough with the results so fitted the decals.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpeg

Much happier with the paint now and should shine a little more once waxed which I'll do along with the wheels/brakes etc on a rainy day

• Like Like x 9
  2. I can recommend Mr Sheen. My ex Ferrari mechanic mate uses it on his 1299 and its the shiniest bike I've ever seen :D Fair effort on yours though; it does look amazing.

• Like Like x 3
  3. She's a bobby dazzler !!

4. Mate, you can come up north and do my bike any time you fancy. I like your kind of attention to detail. Need some of that on mine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information