1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Got You By The Balls! Is It Legal?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by jcmental, Nov 13, 2018.

1. So once again a dealer lets me down.
    I'm hoping to put my bike up for sale next week.
    As my bike is out of warranty I been doing my own services, rather than ride all the way up to J&L Motorcycles in Carlisle and back, a 250 mile round trip then back the next day to pick it up. I asked if they would reset my service reminder? They said they no wont because I didn't get it serviced by them.
    I under stand their not getting a service out of it but wouldn't of minders paying £20 just to get the reminder reset, that's £20 for what 5 minuets work.

This to me scream of customer manipulation, what their saying is your bike will constantly have a service reminder pop up unless you spend big bucks and get it serviced by Ducati. I'm sure there's a law about that sort of thing.

There’s a thread on this point already.

From memory, and I paraphrase, if a dealer does that they are endorsing work they haven’t done and are leaving themselves open to liability issues.

I wouldn’t want to leave myself open to being sued if I was them either.

Ps surely you have a dealer closer to do your service and warranty work?

#1 jcmental, Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2018
  2. Might be worth asking an independent if they might do it?

Look at it as another way, you do all the electric wiring on a house rewire and then ask an electrician to sign it off without them even checking it, would they?

Me personally, whilst it may seem more money on a bike you are getting rid off, on expensive maintenance bikes such as ducati's and if the sale is private and not into a dealer, then "just serviced by...(dealer/independent) often helps the sale and price

• Like Like x 1
  3. What bike is it, dvt ?
    If it is pre dvt you can do it yourself.

If it is dvt I would be trying to speak with Ducati UK, as I think it is unacceptable to not be able to reset the service light. (I do agree with the implied liability the way they currently have it, but surely a big note saying reset of light only carried out should be an option, and Ducati UK should allow this).

Can you not have an annual inspection service done, minus any filters and fluids ?
    I can see this becoming a big deal in the future.

4. There has been a lot of discussion about this topic on here and many people who do their own servicing use an aftermarket gizmo and software that a allows them to reset the service indicator. I think @chrisw is the man to advise you. Andy

• Useful Useful x 2
  5. I believe it's a 2014 1200 S GT

6. I believe that @nelly said he couldn’t/wouldn’t because of the implied liability issue.

7. Can’t see how there is any implied work at all. It’s just clear the light. Invoice can state ‘cleared service light - no work undertaken ‘ surely and no stamp in the book.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. I am very interested in this subject because I will have this issue again with my Monster and ST3. It is not a big deal and I haven't researched whether you can buy gizmos to do the job. But surely if you are asked to reset the light without doing the service, then it is just a case of getting the customer to sign something that says that they take responsibility and have asked the person to do this task despite their advice?

9. This is just what I was thinking, I'm not asking them to stamp my book, just clear the reminder. You have to remember the bike actually belongs to me but because I'm not letting a Ducati registered service engineer do the work on it I cant get the reminder reset. Fine if its under warranty that goes with out saying if you want them to honour it but once its out of warranty I should be free to pick who ever I like to service it and not have to worry about getting the service reset.

• Like Like x 1
  10. You are free to choose whoever you like to service your bike but that choice has limitations and establishing a relationship with an authorised dealer network is one of them. Try doing your own servicing on a car and getting a franchised dealer to reset your service indicator. Andy

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. so what year is it ?
    If its pre dvt you can buy a lead, download the melcodiag software, and reset it yourself.
    if it is a dvt you cannot do this.

The problem as described by nelly on the other thread is that they need to connect the bike to the Ducati kit, and there is a log of this, which they have to click a box or similar to confirm they have carried out the service work for the service being reset / logged. This creates a liability. I thibk they could simply submit details of the service stating it was a light reset only, but having spoken to a couple of dealers they don't seem to agree.
    I wouldnt want to put my name on record in this way incase any issues come back to bite me (warranty claim, whatever) so to be fair I understand their position.
    This is wholly down to Ducati, not the dealers.

I do agree, we should have the ability to reset the service light, much like you can using an OBD tool for a car. The trouble is the OBD kit for bikes is not exactly cheap.
    This only seems to be an issue with European bike manufacturers, as the jap bikes can generally be reset using a combination of button presses.
    No doubt given time someone will come up with software to deal with the DVTs, but its not there yet.

12. Andy, I do service all of my own cars, and I reset the service lights using a single 160 quid OBD tool that does all of them (free updates available too). You need to add a 0 to that to buy a bike tool.

Having a requirement that the light can only be reset by a main dealer for the life of the bike/car is daft, given that legally all you are required to do is have your vehicle serviced in accordance with the service procedures using genuine manufacturers parts by a suitably qualified / competent person.

Using the electrician analogy, yes I would rewire my house in accordance with the wiring regs, and I would ask the electrician to inspect and test the work prior to sign off. I have done exactly this.
    I would not expect them to sign off without inspect and test, and would not expect their liability to include anything they have not touched / specified.

We arent asking for that, we are asking that the dealers can annotate the entry to indicate only a light reset was performed, not the service itself.

#12 John W, Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Fine if its under warranty that goes with out saying if you want them to honour it but once its out of warranty I should be free to pick who ever I like to service it and not have to worry about getting the service reset.

No one is stopping any owner choosing who they want to work on their bike after warranty whether it be a franchised, independent or self maintained. Each choice however has levels of assist and therefore the choice you make must be an informed one

There is of course the obvious answer of asking "is anyone near me with the equipment to reset the service icon on my screen" but sometimes that easy choice seems to be forgotten in favour of "ducati are robbing me"

14. You would think it is that same as for cars where the manufacturer has to tell you how to reset the service indicator legally (even if they hide it on p58 of the operating manual you won't read)? Is it different for bikes still (vehicle is a vehicle)?
    I have never used a dealer for anything other than actual warranty work where I had no other choice (since 1987 as I recall) and even trading cars (and a M900 to a Ducati dealer) I have never had the service record mentioned - they don't even ask let alone check the book in my experience. I always tell them I do the servicing myself, but as a matter of polite info after the deal is done on the replacement vehicle.
    Check YouTube on how to reset the indicator as first port of call?

15. Just had a very quick look on YouTube. It's Spanish, but appears tos how a Monster being reset, easily!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Same with fault codes. Latest bikes don’t show in the menu. Short sighted IMHO

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. noobie, I don't think its about being robbed.

Incidentally, you don't need to get your bike/car serviced by a main dealer even if within manufacturers warranty, but you do need to ensure all work is done using genuine parts and in accordance with the procedures. That includes all the right fluids. The only restriction beyond this is that warranty work is expected to be done by a main dealer.
    Most people do simply because it is expected, and generally makes any claims go a lot smoother. Plus I doubt you would get any good will contributions for going independent.
    Its a little different for after market or dealer offered warranties, as their terms may specify the need to be serviced by a main dealer.

jcmental, if its pre DVT go buy a lead off tinternet, you could have it reset by the weekend ;)

18. Hi
    Yes it's a 2014 S GT
    I do have the leads that plugs into the bike and a wifi OBDII to fit the lead, what I cant get hold of it the software to reset it, I signed up to some guy on Google that was handing out Beta apps for androids, I even bough a secondhand android phone to use it but it just wouldn't connect to the bike. it connected to the OBD but not the ecu on the bike, now I cant find the app on google.
    The same OBDII fits my car and the app that came with it shows me every sensor, temp, speed and position on the car but it wont show jack Jones on my bike.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. I just wonder? Instead of starting a thread entitled "So once again a dealer lets me down." when in fact they haven't, whether the best option would have been to start a thread in this section or the tech section and simply ask, "I'm looking to sell my bike next week and the blinking annoying service spanner is showing even though I've done an oil and filter change. If anyone is close to me and has the equipment and ability to remove the pesky rascal spanner, there will be a beer in it for them, anyone help?"

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information