1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grrrrr

Discussion in 'Sport Classic' started by idrinkbeer, May 20, 2018.

1. Cush drive, spacer, rear sprocket and chain fecked. Looks like the bolts wernt high tensile. The front disk bolts look to be titanium?

2. So someone replaced the originals high tensile bolts with non HT bolts seven years ago and they all broke today? As theres no dirt or grease on any of the sheared bolts they have all gone at the same time?

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  3. Its a kineo wheel with its own sprocket etc so i dont know what way it was supplied?????? The wheel was already on the bike when i bought it.

4. Found this before pic......i somehow dont think the wheel was supplied with these fasteners???

5. Front disks look to have the same bolts..... IMG_2068.JPG

6. I could have been a lot worse, lucky I guess and now you can sort the front

7. I’d be replacing the front too, just to be on the safe side, if you were a cat, that ed be no 9 :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. I wouldn't let a cap head allen bolt anywhere near holding any sprocket of mine on. :worried:

I haven't got the Sport Classic torque setting for the brake discs and sprocket. But on another Ducati of mine, they are 32NM for the discs and 44NM for the sprocket. You'll struggle to get that on those fasteners without rounding them imo. o_O I'd change them immediately.

#29 Robarano, May 20, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Oh i will be.i will be stripping the bike and checking all critical fasteners. I dodged the bullet this time. Many thanks foe the advice...iv posted this hopefully to draw attention to what happened and why.
    Check yar bikes folks lol.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Very luck dude, glad you ok

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Very lucky dude, glad you ok

#32 David Hales, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
  12. They look like stainless steel socket button head screws?
    I imagine they should actually be at least grade 10.9 steel button heads.

If they are stainless, that would possibly be the issue. Try a magnet on one.

Someone possibly fitted stainless steel button heads to stop them rusting????

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Certainly check the ones holding the discs too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Extracted the snapped remnants and guess what.........no locktight. Im removing the caliper bolts now with a view to some quality replacements and think i may go down the lockwire route also.

15. At least you have found the issue :):upyeah:but Grrrrrr:mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Glad to hear your ok, that could have been a nasty one!

17. I bet they are stainless, which is a no no for that use. They are great but very soft. A lot of classic bike guys have there wire wheels re spoked with stainless but usually a warning to be careful with them as the nipples snap off after a while.
    The bolts must be high tensile & as you say threadlock.

18. They are now.

19. There are different grades of stainless steel. Some sellers of SS do not specify the grade, which means their stuff is probably A2 (i.e. no better than mild steel). Other sellers (e.g. Westfield ) offer a range of grades, including SS which can be substituted for high tensile. Take a look at the helpful Material Key on this page:

https://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/ScrewBolt_M.html

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information