1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gutted... Lower Back Went On My Track Day.

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by webbo, Sep 4, 2018.

1. What you need Webbo is a CT myelogram scan with contrast, its the Gold Standard of scans will definitely show what the problem is..
    which hospital did you go to & who was the consultant ?.
    I have had lower back problems for 14 years, I already have screws and plates in my neck due to spondylosis & spinal cord compression surgery done in 2012.. Last year bilateral sciatica kicked in [both legs] & I was bed bound for 4 months, "long story short" I am still to this date battling the neurosurgeons to get the surgery I need, one of the consultants said to me "its not life Threatening" my reply was no but its "Life Ruining" They really don't know themselves what this kind of pain is like, if they were to suffer it they would be the 1st on the list for surgery.
    keep pushing them if you don't get anywhere have a word with you local MP.
    PS.. I have no intentions giving up, nor stopping riding my bikes.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Cheers chap.

I've done extensive physio and rehab work which made no difference unfortunately.
    I was doing lots of exercise before my back went originally and worked lots on movement and core strength anyhow.

Thanks.

3. Sorry to hear of your problems, doesn't sound too good.
    I'll go research about that type of scan and push for it.
    I was being treated at Cheltenham General Hospital and I've only really dealt with rheumatologists. I had seen a spinal surgeon for one appointment at a private hospital which was a good will gesture as after 10 months of my back playing up they hadn't referred me to a consultant!

Thanks.

4. Hi Mate,
    I spent over £1000 on chiropractors which didn't do anything to help unfortunately.

Thanks.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  5. Short term fix....Naproxen. Ive had a bad back for years (not as bad as yours but) if you dont overdose on them, on the bad days they work wonders....

• Like Like x 1
  6. I've been on Naproxen for several weeks on and off. Not sure how much it helps but still worth using.
    I'm also on Pregabalin for the pain.

Thanks.

7. You need the CT Myelogram.. & then really you need a Neurosurgeon Consultation [ not a spinal surgeon] Neurosurgeons are the top of the game, they know how to deal with the nerves in the lower back much better than a spinal surgeon who predominately deal with cracked vertebra...but you will have to push them to get what you want.
    my issues are L4 L5 S1 +
    Naproxen is an anti-inflammatory for arthritis / joint paint etc.
    Pregabalin is really for anxiety & epilepsy, but it does help with pain also by blocking the nerve receptors in the brain, the problem with it is it only blocks pain it does not cure it & then theres the side effects, I will not take Pregabalin, GP's will dish it out to save the NHS expensive surgery...that's the way it is I am sad to say...
    My theory:- the NHS has far too many people to deal with these days...the quicker we shut the door at our borders the better it could be...hopefully...:confused:

#27 ton-up, Sep 5, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1

8. I couldn't agree more.
    I'm taking the tablets because as of right now, it's my only option until I sort the next stage out.
    Thank you for the suggestion of a neurosurgeon.

Thanks.

9. I ended up with hyperbaric oxygen therapy for my chronic back issue

Cheap no side effects and works a treat I just have one session a fortnight now

• Like Like x 1
  10. I was on Naproxen but the Pregbalin really worked - topped up with co-codamol - mine was a prolapsed (swollen) disc pushing against my nerve canal - borderline op but they went for pain management first which paid off while my body's natural defenses attacked it. 4 months working from home the first time and pain for nearly a year but was on BUPA from work which helped diagnose and rush the scan through - then a re-occurrence and straight back on the drugs 2 years ago for a few months. All been fine since but I feel your pain, nothing worse including childbirth :thinkingface: GWS and don't give up...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yes, but, i dont take them all the time....the less you/i/someone takes them the more effective they are...so, if i can live with the pain then i wont take one. If i want or need a good nights sleep ill take one at about 2 - 3am just before it starts....

12. too right, in the case of taking "painkillers", this is the only approach to avoid medication-taking turning into a vicious circle, I only wish prescribing Doctors would educate patients more on this.

13. Prehap's its something you need to ask about, it doesn't take long for a needle to be inserted into the lower spine to take a CSF sample for testing.

• Like Like x 1
  14. They don't tell you the havoc strong painkillers play with your, ah, digestive system.

15. Naproxen can give you stomach upsets

I’m on oxycodone 30mg a day plus gabapentin for bone damage and fractured spine
    I started on 60 mg oxycodone plus 1200 gabapentin when first diagnosed

My spine has bone damage from the Myeloma

It takes a few months for it all to get in your system and able to function properly again

• Like Like x 1
  16. If you've had x-rays and MRI that haven't revealed a problem then avoid chiropractor!

Worth considering the cause, which if you're involved physically may well be the house renovations. The track day stresses may well have tipped existing issues over the limit.

A CT myelogram MAY demonstrate a problem. It also may not. Depends entirely on the route cause. Subtle causes of back pain, if identified are not always treatble by intervention. So what to do?

Can't recommend a good physio highly enough. Not only for therapeutic relief of symptoms (possibly) but also for building up defenses against further damage and highlighting high risk movements you may have been undertaking in the course of work.

And as already said, defo get a sports bike.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. IMG_20180831_145316.jpg
    This is my back. Burst fracture L1. Bruised spinal cord.

• WTF WTF x 1
  18. With a Spine like yours " its just a ride" the last thing you want is Physio, they can do more harm than good with your kind of serious problem, they are ok with minor sports injuries & muscle strain ...that's it.
    I have had a lot of experience with this kind of thing, more than my fair share of serious problems...image below is post ACDF [anterior cervical decompression& fusion]... not had a problem with my neck since, but if I had not had this surgery I would have eventually been paralysed from the neck down. cervical_myelopathy.jpg issues

#38 ton-up, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2018
  19. Each to their own I guess, I was in a brace for 3 months then had 6 months physio, swimming then back to climbing and eventually running with amazing physio support. If you look at the scope of the role of a physio you'll find it goes waaaaaaay beyond minor sports injuries and strains (stroke rehab, neurological rehab, chest physio etc blah etc) and the body of research evidence underpinning the profession would argue against your suggestion.

Your images suggest degenerative disc disease with marked osteophytic lipping (risk of spondylolisthesis?) and which is not capable of being treated with physiotherapy intervention alone (though post surgical physio would surely have helped with regaining strength and range of movement?). This is entirely different to a chronic onset, most likely neuromuscular, condition resulting in back pain.

20. No Physio was not offered & i did not need any post op, the surgery was just like I had a tooth out, I was back on my bike within 6 weeks.
    A couple Physios I had dealing with in the past were of no use to me...perhaps if recovering from a hip, knee or shoulder replacement they might be of some use initially, but I am not a Fan.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information