1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Hacksaw To The Butterfly

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Wayne58, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Cheers Wayne,
    after a bit of WD40 and ignorance I managed to free up the effing thing. :upyeah:

2. It'll soon seize again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. A quick update for a couple of folk who PM'ed me, I removed this stupid flapper 3000 miles ago, and have had no dash error at all. The default position is open, so it would appear, the dash error will only illuminate if the thing can't close. Mine was sticking shut, so no dash error as the system thought it was working. All good now, however, if I keep the bike, may stick the Arrow system on, just cause I think it looks cool as....:cool:

4. Looks beautiful, just gotta lose those floodlight blinkers now and get the lil Corse LED ones :upyeah:

5. My valve isn't sticking yet but I am going to fit the Arrows full system any way, it looks like it's the way to go before it does seize, plus you get the benefits of the better tune. Just found a place on eBay in Isle of Man retailing the system at £723 delivered, that's half the cost of the Termi (I will save the original carbon Termi and cat in my loft and i'll oil the butterfly before storing it!) Although this plan may have to wait as I move house in the next few months so I will have to be patient! It's like been a kid in a sweet shop though, can I wait that long? :)

6. As I had a bit of time on my hands, I completely removed the cat and the butterfly in its entirety.
    By that I mean the valve and the whole assembly to which it attached.
    The spring post, cable guide, all superfluous attachments are off the original exhaust box etc, etc...
    All gone and now welded back up.
    I've got one of those servo eliminator plug-ins already on the bike from using a Mivv decat system but fancied something a little quieter, hence the decat.
    I'll post up some pics when I have time and report back on how it feels, sounds etc.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Finally had the chance to ride the bike and put in some good miles in all conditions of abuse.... er... use!

Bike sound good or should I say the exhaust note. It's most definitely quieter than the Mivv but louder than standard, and in the lower end of the power spectrum, feels equally as responsive.
    No doubt due to gutting the cat and complete removal of all valve parts.
    I also drilled additional holes in the interior metalwork and It seems that this too has allowed better gas flow.
    Throttle pick up in the lower range felt just as good as Mivv and the mid range area felt as good too.
    My only concern was at 3 figure speeds where I felt the Mivv performed a bit better.
    Keep in mind, this is with seat of the pants dyno!

The biggest complaint is the additional weight which I noticed immediately.

With the Mivv set-up I would toggle between Sport mode/Touring mode, both full power options, with susp in rider only mode.
    With the standard exhaust (!) I had to increase to rider plus luggage.

I will alter the settings to personal preference when time allows.

All in all, quite happy.
    A worthwhile project that has pleased me..........
    And my neighbours.!

Pics will follow.... honest!..:)

8. Pics up... Hopefully will be of interest to some of you.

Gave the whole silencer a coat of heat resistant paint once all welded back up.

As mentioned before, tone is better than standard and less than the Mivv.
    I took the cover off to show the lack of valve and its associated clutter!

Cheers.!

• Like Like x 1
  9. My dealer's mechanic keeps telling me to do it and get the ECU remap done by Ducati over the winter. He says it totally transforms the bike in every respect and avoids the inevitable trouble with the exhaust flap which is only there to reduce noise

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Not sure about the remap on a DVT, but drill the flapper out without question :upyeah:

11. My dealer's mechanic keeps telling me to do it and get the ECU remap done by Ducati over the winter. He says it totally transforms the bike in every respect and avoids the inevitable trouble with the exhaust flap which is only there to reduce noise
    apparently Ducati will do it if you send the ECU away, around £400. I presume it counters the emissions, it is Audi owned after all. LOL. The alternative is a plug in box for about the same money. That must be like a Power Commander, but there is a particular manufacturer. I'd recognise the name if prompted.

12. Right I'm on this when I get home, thanks for the instruction & pics

13. There is an electronic plug and play thing from USA that I plugged into the loom replacing the servo plug! I plugged it in to allow me to remove the Cat. It fools the ECU to stop registering an engine Fault. The motor sounds much louder with no Cat ! Even with the silencer baffles in, it's a little too loud! Bur runs great, more ooooomph!

The resister cost £50 delivered!

#95 ParaPikesPeak, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2017
  14. PS-I'm not a new member, it's Steve the Fly! I can no longer log on with my old email address as I added two point security authorisation and it would not let me log back in after that! Any how, instead of my daughter as Wonder Woman stood next to a Superman logo, there's now a piccy of me and the Mrs cycling! The Pikes Peak is running superbly and I love the new ARROWS decat exhaust, but it's a bit too loud now! Awesome though!

15. Well, finally got the new doody blinkers today, will hopefully fit them on the weekend!
    PS, I had a ZX10r before the 1200S and dont have the heart to get rid of the mat! ;) New Indicators.jpg

16. The blinkers are easy, the lower of 3 screws behind number plate, 4 underneath the tail that are in recesses, then the top of tail come off, then simple plug and play.

#98 Wayne58, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Ahhh nice one thanks mate, I was wondering if the number plate ones had to come off or not so good to know.:upyeah:

18. Just the bottom of the three, am guessing you chopped down the plate mount and thus you use 2 number plate screws and a sticky pad ?? Its the lower of the 3 screws plus 4 underneath, piece of cake

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information