1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Handeling

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by xander296, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Before doing anything with the suspension have you checked tyre pressures?
    A few pounds under on the front turns mine into a right pig.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wise words. Tyre pressures all to cock can make it want to straight-line. Simple things first eh? :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. exactly.. theres a lot of smoke mirrors and bollocks out there...especially for a road going bike

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Check tyre pressures first then get the suspension and ride height set up before you start making serious adjustments and don't start faffing with the headstock - it does not need it. The balance between front and rear at a correct ride height and suspension set up is what gives the best turn in, also the front end needs to be quite soft IMHO which means it sits down at the front. The bike needs careful and precise setting up and is easy to upset the balance with ill informed minor adjustments. You can tell by just looking at the bike whether it has been faffed with as it affects the way it sits. Often people faff with things that don't want to be faffed with and convince themselves it is better, lots of preload on the front is an indication of that. An error of 2psi down from the Ducati recommended setting (not the tyre manufacturer's) on the front tyre will cause a slow front end also the type of tyre is important. If you have a 190 rear that won't help either

5. All good points, I will double check the pressures tonight Michelin pilot power 2 ct’s 180 on the rear, we have Kai’s suspension people by us so might give them a ring see if they can take a quick look make sure it’s not been messed with, it’s not bad it maybe it just does not turn like the R1 which was very easy to ride fast and get the corner line spot on, the 749 just doesn’t seem to be as precise?

6. Hi what tyres are you running and what pressures? Thanks for the input, tyres were low when I got the the bike so it maybe as simple as I have the wrong pressure

7. I still have the tyres on that came with the bike and there are many more qualified folks
    on this forum that can advise on tyre choice.
    For what its worth mine are Michelin pilot power 3,s and I run 30f 32r.
    Less than 28f and it wont turn and feels like Im riding on chewing gum.
    When they wear out (not long now) Ill be consulting the forum for suggestions.
    @Denzil the Ducati whats the issue with 190 rears please. (wich mine is)

8. PS
    Im not sure it will ever turn like a R1
    I have a Blade and I think youll have to accept **9s are just different to jap I4s.
    Seems to me you have to work a bit harder to get the best from a **9

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. If you get the suspension right on a **9, with the ride height sorted via forks and tie-rod adjustments, and get your tyre pressures correct, it will turn very acceptably ... even if it isn't flickable in the same way as a UJM. However, hustling a sorted **9 is a joy - physical, visceral, satisfying.

The 180/190 rear tyre controversy has rumbled on since the bikes were first introduced. People will swear up & down that their choice is the best choice, for *reasons*. Perhaps it's simply a matter of preference.
    When I was doing regular track days, I was glad for a 190 as I felt I kept running out of rear tyre with a 180. A 180 will possibly make you steer quicker but that was not a trade-off I enjoyed. Another rider might tell you the opposite.

The best advice I, or anyone, can give is to try both sizes and see which you prefer.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Visceral, perfect choice of word. It is what I enjoy most about Ducatis and the lack of is what stops me enjoying most other brands . Regardless of the bikes ability to perform.

#30 dukesox, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Not sure they are like women, I have 4 Dukes at the moment and always looking at more, none of them get upset. Not sure Mrs Dukesox would adopt the same generous attitude. In fact I`m so sure she wouldnt I`m not even going to ask her.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Thought this was going to be about the composer..

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. or tubular bells.....

14. Postmaster, there are no issues with 190s. For me, having tried both on my 999 I found the 180 works better with the 120 front as the lean rates (or maybe the tyre profiles) feel matched which aids the balance of feel between front and rear. With a 190 it always felt the back was slower than the front and it needed more counter steer which made it feel like it was drawing the bike into the corner from the back, it is not to my taste and I can see why the 180 is specified for the 749. Also I found the pressures on the 999 for road riding work better at the upper end of the Ducati recommended range (30.5 to 33 front and 32-35 rear) and prefer them at 33f 35r. I drive a 748 as my daily run around which requires very much more input but is a more precise and a more finely balanced bike, it may make me overly sensitive to the anomalies of the 999 chassis.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Plenty of talk about widths of the rears but no mention of profiles available for both the 180 and 190.

16. 50 is my preference as there can be problems making a 55 fit.

Just an opinion, neither right nor wrong : o )

Edit: Doh. Mine is a 999, so findings/opinions not terribly relevant for 749 tyres. Sorry.

#36 Loz, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2018
  17. Front tyre only had 28 psi in it, maybe lost a bit after hitting the sheep! So I have put 33 in it see how it goes later and post if it makes a difference, fairly sure it Will

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. My comparison is for the Ducati recommended stock tyres which are 190 50 on the 999 and 180 55 on the 749, for me other options are/were not easily available and the bike is not used on a track

19. Bike felt a lot better with the extra PSI in it though I didn't get to push on at all, wait and see when I get a proper ride in.

Thanks

20. It certainly should do.
    28 is seriously low

Do Not Sell My Personal Information