1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Handlebar Grip Removal

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Mr-Superlight, Apr 7, 2019.

1. I use it (Hair spray) for both off & on. I was re-using the grip, just had to replace the bar (don't ask why :worried:)

• Like Like x 1
  2. So, after some head scratching about the ignition barrel removal so enable the top yoke to be removed I managed to avoid messing with the security bolts as the yoke could be lifted upwards, with a bit of gentle persuasion.
    The right hand grip / throttle came off nice and easily and the left hand one slipped off with the help of some WD40 (to be cleaned off prior to refitting). Both grips are fine for reuse.
    My cheap rattle cans of grey primer and black satin (from a local Toolstation) seem to have resulted in a pretty decent finish if I say so myself. The bars weren't the easiest shapes to sand down the existing paint and light corrosion but I'm hoping that the paint will look good enough and be hard enough tomorrow to allow me to refit them.

3. There are some tips you should use when Removing Bike Handlebar Grips. First, the use of WD-40 lubricant, which is the most widely used substance for grip removal. You can squirt an ample amount of lubricant onto the grip surface prior to removal. The same with WD-40 lubricant. The use of hairspray is another way to take off handlebar grips. Another method is the compressed air method. You have to place the nozzle under the grip and put the air compressor inside. You can also rely on soap and water. You should place a screwdriver to create a gap against the handlebar, then fill in the gap with soap and water to make the attachment slipper. Besides soapy water, rubbing alcohol can also work wonders. Finally, if your grip is already old and tattered, you can choose to cut the rubber fast.

#23 James Wheeler, Oct 7, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  4. I have read instructions on how to install rubber handlebar grips to replace ones that have worn out after a long time of use with just four easy steps: First, remove the old rubber grips. then clean the WD-40 rod, you should use soap and water to remove the dust and residue on it. The next step is to wrap some plastic fasteners on the bike; they will create some friction to mount the bike grips and keep them in place. and finally, the hardest thing to do is push the New Grip onto the bar. Twist the handle as you press on the handlebars, aligning it with the contours of the bike. Be patient as you attach the handlebars to the bike little by little.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information