1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

959 Handlebar Position

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by flatstick959, Jun 29, 2018.

1. i struggle to get my panigale to turn in slow corners and have very little feel from the front end.

I test rode a S1000RR yesterday and it instantly felt ‘normal’ and turned easily, I could feel the front tyre and my arms felt in the right place

The vibration and buzzing through the bars and pegs was a disgrace Though.

So having rode my bike afterwards I have realised how high and far forward the bars are and how little pressure I put through them making it slow to turn.

I feel they need to be much further Back and lower but obviously they aren’t adjustable as standard so would need aftermarket clip ons.

Has anyone tried any?

2. Hi Flatstick
    You want the clip-ons lower? I feel they are already low. If the fairing wasn't so compact I would probably fit some riser clip-ons that to bring the controls up 20mm. That's only because I'm fairly tall and I'm 'over' the front of the bike already.
    Maybe you could try the race or comfort seat. That would raise your seating position up and put a little more weight on your front end. If you are still struggling with the reach after that, you could look at the DucaBike clip-ons. They do a set that bring the bars back.

Sorry, I know you are looking for actual experiences. Maybe the suggestions can help though.

Kind regards dscn9006p-800x800.jpg

3. Mate on his HP4 cant catch me on 1299S in any corner. The thing turns like a tory chasing votes. But you have to move on the bike. Once you cotton on to that, along with grip pads, the thing is immense. Turns incredibly fast imo.

I fitted Sata long bar weights and grip puppies. Works a treat on bar buzz. The footpegs can still give my toes some hassle, but I adapt to that and just move my foot now and again.

4. Ive got the race seat and hang off the thing

I feel I can’t turn it unless I am hanging off it where the bmw just turns.

Tried the DP rearsets and it did make the bike turn better but they were too high.

5. As far as turn in goes, what tyres did the test bike have - not just brand, but profile - what have you got on yours? Is the pressure right?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I have the 899, and don’t feel this way at all. The bike turns effortlessly into corners, maybe check your tire pressure, tire profile, suspension setup, in that order. A relatively quick fix would be to increase the rear rise height by switching to the adjustable 11/1299 shock + linkage.

7. That won’t raise the ride height that changes the progression of the spring. I can raise the rear ride height if I want by lengthening my shock but suspension set up is very much in the ball park.

Just to put this into context I’m not a complete pleb. I was doing 1.33 round Croft on a 600 and can’t get anywhere near that on the Ducati simply because of the strange riding position.

Tyre pressures Won’t change how I sit on the bike.

It’s a vary strange riding position of high flat bars and low far back pegs the tank offers no support at all. It feels very long and low. It all equates to something I find at the track doesn’t work for me but is very comfortable on the road.

Having ridden a few other bikes I’ve realised I’m not goin mad and I can still ride a bit. I’m going to preserve with it as a cracking road bike but there’s something fundamentally strange about the way you sit on it which doesn’t work for me.

• Like Like x 1

8. Try two pairs of pants....

HTH..

9. The 1299 shock is height adjustable. The linkage can also be used to adjust the height as its adjustable. Just make it a little but shorter. I know what you’re saying about the flat/progressive part, but the same dogbone can also be adjusted for height.

The only reason I mentioned the tire pressure was because my friend had a similar problem with his Tuono at the track and it boiled down to the front tire pressure.

If you think the bars are too flat, try a set of aftermarket bars with a more aggressive angle. I think 7* is the more aggressive one, if I’m not mistaken.
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/vortex-clip-ons-7-degree
    http://www.cycletreads.co.nz/produc...ars/17060-zeta_pilot_handle_for_street_c.aspx

Other than that maybe a taller seat so you’re putting more weight on the bars.

10. I feel the 899 riding position not to be the best for me as I like to feel ‘in’ the bike and not on top of it. I have debated the fullsix oversized carbon tank as I’m confident that would solve my problem but can’t bring myself to spend 2k on a tank plus paint...

11. I’m going to try another set of rearsets as the DP ones definitely improved how the bike turned but they were too extreme for my long legs for the road at least

Changing the bars looks like a proper faff on and the fairing is very limiting anyway.

I find it strange how the tank has scallops for your knees but they’re in the wrong place so offers no support whatsoever, to me at least.

The giamoto rearsets seem to Offer OEM position and 3 other settings not quite as extreme as the DP ones so might work for me.

12. If you want faster steering then shove the forks yhrough the yoke a few mm. I have done this on mine, start with around 3mm and see how it feels. It made a huge difference on mine

#12 Dazzx10r, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  13. thumbnail.jpg thumbnail.jpg thumbnail.jpg

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information