1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 Handy Storage Space For Disklock

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by flatairbag, May 2, 2016.

1. Hi Guys.
    Spent ages figuring out where I could mount a disk lock on the 998.
    Made up a bracket which mounts underneath and forward of the existing toolbox in the dead space above the cans. So thought to share this if it can help another forum viewer out.

In the absence of a tig welder I've used rivets. Tools required were

B&Q alloy strip
    Hacksaw
    File
    Drill
    Rivet Tool
    (A Vice helps)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like Like x 9
  2. Looks really well made, and useful mod. Good share.

3. very nice, well fabricated.
    it also reminded me that l need to put 2no. c02 canisters under the seat as well. I don't carry a foot pump with me everywhere l go.

4. Neat solution for 998. :upyeah:

On older models; 916/748/996 the ECU sits there so, unfortunately won't work on them.

5. second pic looks like you got a push bike in there as well. :upyeah:

6. LOL, nice spot. Yep got carried away with the alloy bar and spun up a trailer for the pushbike.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. nice advice, did you cold bend the metal or heat it up whilst bending?

8. gave it a wee heat.. but only 2mm so you can bend with your fingers if you need to. Wrapped it around a broom in the vice to get the top bend... the others just done by hand in the vice. A little tig welder would be perfect for these jobs.
    The B&Q stuff has an anodised finish on it so didnt want to heat too much else it craps itself. Actually struggled to find decent alloy online that was less than 3mm thick.. so paid over the odds for the B&Q stuff... and I wouldnt say that is decent but does bend without shitting itself.

I was trying to tuck the lock outa the way but didnt want to permanently buggarise anything on the bike. Hence used the unused factory hole on the crossbar for the 1 fixing this bracket uses. I reckon you could make up a nice little basket tray for under there to hold a bit more stuff.. bearing in mind that there will be heat from the cans. But if you wanted to hold more tools etc that area is the place for it.

#8 flatairbag, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016
Do Not Sell My Personal Information