1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 Have I Bought The Wrong Bike?

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by chris_d36, Jul 12, 2016.

1. I ride my hyper for long rides and when I get home, I feel like I haven't been anywhere. Zero pains.

Monster is a good choice also.

2. I have just bought a 959, I rode the 1199, it was gorgeous, and I felt I was riding something special, but I was disappointed because I knew it wasn't for me.. on track yep but I couldn't ride it and enjoy it, the 959 just fitted.

However.. the Supersport and Monster 1200 were huge contenders!

3. Knock the power off stick it in wet mode until you get confident

4. Always makes me laugh when people say it's too powerful / too fast. The throttle goes both ways. Try not twisting it so far.

You don't jump in a car and immediately stamp on the throttle. Why's a bike any different ...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Just an option. Why not exploit them all

6. Absolutely. Just saying, if it's too fast, then don't crack open the throttle lol :joy:

• Like Like x 1
  7. I enjoy scaring myself haha.

8. When I gave up my zzr1400 I kinda did so as the speed thing was getting a bit boring so I got myself a gsxr 750 k7. It was my first sports bike having ridden mostly hyperbikes.

The gixer was more than fast enough, handled like a peach, toured very comfortably and to this day I rate as the finest bike I've ever owned. The only reason I mention this is because possibly you have the right bike chris but the wrong version, if you can't get on with the 1199 then I try the 899, I doubt you would be dissapointed

• Like Like x 1
  9. coz 1199s have a quarter turn throttle, and every pot hole makes you turn it 5 mm, making the bike lunge forward increasing its speed 20mph, have you ridden one? im guessing not, it took me 12 months to learn to ride mine, 3 years on and im still learning........

10. Sorry everyone. Just feel the need to summarise this thread - it's been boiling for a couple of days now (and it's been a really stressful week):

1). OP - as lovely as you sound, who cares? You argued with everyone anyway and then made up your own mind. Sorry.

2). All - we seemed to have justified Ducati's entire marketing strategy in about 95 posts..... We all like something different.

Just as well, eh?

Come on.... I can't be thinking this on my own?????

• Like Like x 2
  11. EXCATLY.

• Like Like x 2
  12. The original post was July 2016 so think his decision probably made already !!

The OP has not been here for 38 weeks so I suspect he's gone so stress not ;)

#92 Wayne58, May 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Nope, never ridden an 1199. But if it's as bad as you say it is, I have no desire to either. Thanks for the tip :upyeah:

Based on your comment, the 1199 sounds like an absolute nightmare if riders are unable to control the throttle by as much as 20mph when they go over a bump. No wonder the OP thinks it's too much for him. Glad I have a 1299, I don't have any throttle control issues on that at all, they must have fixed that particular issue.

Of course, you may be exaggerating slightly, but as you so elequently put it, I've never ridden an 1199, so I'll have to take your word for it ...

14. well I test rode the 1299 and gave my opinions on here, the 1299 is smoother, and under extreme electronic control, making it almost playstation like (imo) I liked the 1199 more, as it needs more respect, and feels alive, the 1299 actually feels slower because its so well behaved. You could definately track faster on the 1299, but with all the electronics turned off, both are a right laugh :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  15. I test rode the XR KTM and Multi before I ordered one and thought it was great but I didn't want the electronic suspenders ooh err Mrs. So I ordered the Multistrada Pikes Peak Ohlins and M50 radial cals, great I thought. When I collected it I was obviously running it in and so until I could use the Sports mode without restriction I didn't know what I had bought! On running in mileage and after the service I could open her up, boy was it disappointing. The handling was crap and it po-go-d and chattered into corners and it tied itself in knots exiting fast bends full on the throttle. I then read the hand book!!! For sports setting on the suspension!!! After 10 minutes setting the bike up for track on the dampers and jacking the back end up another 20mm on the spring pre-load at the rear (with a spanner as the remote was out of range for how I needed it) The bike has transformed to the bike I wanted, it handles excellent, so much so that the tyres have degraded more in the last 200 miles than the previous 1400 miles! The next tyres are going to be Super Corsas or Diablos as they grip straight from cold and are probably better for me on the road than the worn out Scorpions it came with as they won't cold tear so badly. So, persevere with your bike, fine tune the suspension until it suits and maybe, just maybe, it can be the bike for you. I am so glad I didn't just take the bike back before giving it a chance. It is now on par with the XR around Cadwell Park and boy does it sound good(to me, personal preferences vary) :)

16. I'm no expert rider but I don't understand what people's problem is with the 1199. It's the most forgiving Ducati Superbike I've ridden (can't speak for the 1299 as I've never ridden one) it's got a light clutch, is as smooth as you're going get from a vtwin at low speed and with ABS, traction control, slipper clutch etc, etc it forgives your every clumsy move. When I get on my 1098 after the 1199 this is highlighted by the way I feel relieved to be still alive when I get home as the 1098 is a proper aggressive bike that doesn't let you off the hook with anything - but is huge fun!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Compared to the homicidal manic 1198, the 1299 is a sweety pie. Goddamned 11 was a berserker 24/7. At least I can pootle along on the 12 at 30.

18. Correct if you have to work at it it's not working.

19. If your wrists are hurting your not riding it right.
    Try using mainly your legs to hold on :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Ha sounds like one of my old girl friends!!:p

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information