1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Icon Have You Done 10k Miles On Your Scrambler Yet?

Discussion in 'Scrambler' started by Mark9, Nov 5, 2019.

1. I have never ever in my too-many-I-don't-like-to-think-about-it years heard that saying before, is that a Derbyshire expression?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. I believe so, heard it from a Derby person years ago, although it probably originated in the music halls so who knows.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Mark, it seems you missed the point on this post as well, BTW I know where the locking plate should sit and how much movement to expect of the sprocket with the locking plate fitted correctly. The sprocket should move very slightly on the shaft (unless it has rusted on like Paul's) and you normally get witness/light wear marks on the splines from the sprocket and witness marks on the plate teeth where they sit abutting the splines within the groove on the shaft. The plate must have worn as a result of the sprocket and/or locking plate moving excessively. Eventually the locking plate teeth have been worn away by that movement leaving nothing left to prevent the sprocket sliding along the shaft. So you either have an alignment issue, the plate was loose - perhaps due to a bolt falling out at some time, the chain has been running far too tight or you had a single dodgy plate. Frankly I doubt it was the plate. I have had a 748 for 13 years which has over 40k miles on it which has the same set up and have changed the front sprocket a few times but as far as I know still use the original locking plate. To get the amount of wear you have suggests to me a problem elsewhere that needs to be bottomed out before it gets expensive.

• Like Like x 1
  4. [​IMG]

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. I do apologise for missing your point again Denzil, perhaps I speed read it a little or perhaps it could have been written more clearly, but I don’t think given the amount of incidences of this issue on other Ducati’s that use the plate that it is necessarily a product of misalignment, over tight chains, or other maladjustment (although I wouldn’t rule out extreme maladjustment as potentially being a contributory factor), Ducati make this a yearly inspection item on their service schedule , that leads me to believe that they expect this item to wear, certainly my bike has never had its chain in an over tight condition, or misaligned, it was serviced by Cornerspeed for the first 2 years and had an upgraded chain fitted by them 6 months into the 3rd year at which point they will have adjusted the chain again, in between services when necessary I adjusted the chain myself, I’m meticulous when it comes to this sort of thing, my mechanical skills include full engine rebuilds so I’m more than capable of adjusting a chain correctly, I suspect that tolerances between the splines in the sprocket and on the shaft (manufacturing variance) could could be a potential contributor (more movement of the sprocket relative to the shaft) but I think the true root cause is the design itself, this was a known issue on the 797 which is very similar if not identical in design, there will always be variance in wear across a population of parts, yours having survived for 40k miles being at one extreme and the example given above lasting 2.3k miles being at the other , I checked my M900 and wear was evident but not severe, I checked my 900ss and no wear is visible (Note nobody other than myself has adjusted the chain on my 900ss in the last 5 years).

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Mine has about 8k on, I changed the chain because it seized in places.
    Didnt see a problem with the retainer, however, the chain and sprocket are pretty poor quality.
    But bike it the best and I just bought the Sled to go with.

7. Nice one!, hows the sled in comparison?

8. Totally different, keep the Icon its much more nimble and more fun to ride, the Sled is a blast as well but much more comfortable and you have to force it to turn, I want to do a few more miles and found that the Icon is abit cramped after a while, Im short so didn't want an adventure bike. I got a good deal as it is the old series sitting i; the dealer since Dec 19, has the much cooler gold wheels. Two years ago I paid a deposit on a Norton Atlas Ranger and so this works out some sort of compensation, lost 2k on one but gained on the other.
    Thanks for the heads up on the retainer.

9. I think you’ve got an ideal combination there, it seems odd because one is a derivative of the other that they are filling different roles but yes makes perfect sense, may need to get a sled myself!.

10. Also I have two daughters and I am teaching on the Scrambler, both feet touch the ground, no need to rev to pull away so they learn clutch work on the flat and after that no drama. Sled is a little better in traffic because the bars are higher and unlike the wide low bars on the Scramblers are not in line with the door mirrors.
    Ducati Aylesbury have a sled at a decent price I see!

11. Ha, thinking about it my M900 already covers the longer journey role, as does my 900ss (surprisingly comfortable), I’ve just sold my M1200 so I’ve got a pot of bike money burning a hole in my pocket!, I might do something weird like get T140 Bonneville though, decisions decisions!

12. 860GT? ;).

13. There’s been a massive price drop on those hasn’t there, I’ll keep my eyes open for one :)

14. That's right, I think you could get one now for a practically free price...

Oh look, there's one here and I think that there's extra discount available for Ducatiforum members... much faster and nicer than one of those 'orrible leaky T140 things, burping out oil everywhere...

15. Thanks for the heads up, I checked mine and you will see the wear on the BACK side of the retainer, compared to the replacement in the foreground. I have done 10000 miles on my Icon and chain obsessively nurtured throughout.

F94F1F03-404D-489E-A5F3-B551D2B1B9BA.jpeg

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Blimey, that ones gone up!

• Like Like x 1
  17. That was getting close!, mine went at approx 10k, I’ve checked it again this morning, the new plate has done approx 1700 miles, no signs of wear, I’ll check it again at 3k and report back.

18. Any chance of getting the Norton deposit back now TVS have taken over?

19. Those two have different spline counts to my eyes :thinkingface:

20. Another side effect of Guinness Paul?

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information