1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Head Shape, Helmets & Hypermotards (or Other Nakeds)

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Keith_P, Aug 9, 2020.

1. I'm really struggling with helmets, which I reckon is a lot to do with the upright riding position on my Hyper and that I've got a long-oval shaped head. I'm finding it really hard (at present impossible) to find a helmet that doesn't give me a bad forehead headache after an hour of 'spirited' riding. The wind pressure on the helmet combined with slightly inadequate forehead space is a real bummer. Worst thing is that it's impossible to road test a helmet. For my previous head-down riding my old Arai was perfect. So far since Hyper-ing a year now I've tried a couple of lower-cost helmets; Scorpion 1400 air & LS2 Challenger both of which felt great in the shop but both give me the forehead aches. Recently I've shop-tried Arai & Shoei which both felt like they'd be just as bad as the others. I guess I'm going to have to go up a size and find a decent shop that can fit alternative interior parts to 'tune' it to my head. Problem is I don't know which shop has the skills to help - certainly not Fowlers here in Brizzle...
    Anyone else struggle with this or got any tips? (other than "slow down":D)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. I used a Shoei GT Air on my Hyper, but it was custom fitted for me where I bought it in Japan. Custom fitting is well worth the effort.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. If there is a Helmet City near you they have all the different size linings etc to custom fit Shoei. They did my GT air last year when I bought from them. There was no extra charge for this and they are really helpful. They may do the same for other makes.

4. Yes thanks! In my utter stupidity I didn't check before knee-jerking to buy the second-try helmet. They're about 10 miles away - I'm just about to call them.
    Unfortunately I've probably missed out on getting a nicely-discounted GT-air now...:worried: Oh well.

5. Top marks for Helmet City - three people fussing over me, taking almost an hour to help me & my head. Ended up with a tweaked Shoei GT-Air2 and a little discount. Here's hoping it's going to be ok for more than an hour.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ditto - Helmet city is spot on.

7. It's good that this seems to be the case whichever branch is used. I used the 'Somerset' shop in Cheddar... Small and a bit out of the way but doing well. They deserve to.

8. Agv pista when riding streetfighter - no major issues

• Like Like x 1
  9. I found this thread on helmet fitting very helpful with great details and illustrations. I chatted with the op and he gave me some great tips.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/how-to-solve-helmet-hot-spot-problem.1338421/

I have a round reverse egghead shaped noggin and wore an Arai rx-q size med for the last 5 years. The rx-q is heavy and noisy for me, but it was the only helmet that fit me properly. After reading the post in the link above and messaging the op of that post, I decided to buy a US version of the Shoei X-14 size lg. and changed out pretty much all of the padding.

I can report that there are no hotspots while riding all day (6 hours plus). The X-14 is noticeably lighter than the Arai Rx-q, quieter, and there is significantly less buffeting at highway speeds on my Multistrada with short carbon screen (iconic spacers). I highly recommend shoei due to their adjustability. Oh, and their Transitions lens is awesome!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Sadly the X-14 is currently not available in Europe. Andy

11. My Shoei GT-Air2 is in the shop now ready for personal fitting adjustments. I'm hoping for a change in the weather for a ride there on Saturday

12. i reckon my new, fitted Shoei GT-Air2 has about half the wind noise and drag of my other two helmets! So much so that I'm going to have to find some less-effective earplugs as I felt a bit disconnected using even my lowest-attenuation ones. Should be easy enough to find less-effective earplugs; most of the ones I tried before the Flare Audio, Senner & Eggz!
    Only downside of the GT-Air2 is I now can't see my Hyper's dash without looking down a little as the visor opening is a little less deep. The rozzers will hopefully take that into account....

• Like Like x 1
  13. Might be worth watching this video to fully understand helmet sizing (it's a bit long but comprehensive, even if it is an Ad for Motolegends service)

• Like Like x 1
  14. i've got a 'long' head and my last few lids have all been shark. current one is spartan gt carbon. fantastic lid

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Hmmm, odd that Helmet City didn't offer me Shark. Oh well, I'm happy with the Shoei, but shall keep that in mind...

16. Shoei works better for me Shark never impressed me or fit my head as well either.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information