1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headlamps And Indicators

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Mark9, Sep 4, 2018.

1. I run an old Ford Focus as a work hack, it failed an MOT due to the headlamps being “misted” they weren’t misted, the lens covers are plastic and UV light degrades the surface after a few years making it go opaque, i used T cut to polish them , 10 minutes elbow grease per lens and they were like new, I took it back and the MOT guy said “how did you do that!” I told him, amusingly I was in the same place a year or so later with my wife’s car and I heard him say to a customer “your lights have failed sir, it’s £350 for new ones but we do offer a service where we’re can polish them using a special compound and that’s only £50”, I didn’t say anything:), I have done the same on a friends renault and a corsa since and it works like magic!, anyway I fitted a new L/H rear indicator to my 900ss recently and it showed up how dull the orange lens on the R/H one was, out with the T cut and they now match, so if your plastic lenses are a bit tired T cut them, as always try on a small area first just in case you have a plastic that reacts badly to T cut.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Just remember to coat them or the same will happen.....

3. Hi Rob it’s been a couple of years since I polished them and they are still as new but I’m sure that the “misting” will return eventually, when you say coat them what do you coat them with?

4. Don't leave it there Rob, what with?
    Steve

5. WD40 has the same effect, I recently did my mates Vectra headlights. He thought it was voodoo.

6. I’m guessing that would be a very temporary effect though LF, ie only works whilst the WD is still wet on the lens, a bit like putting water on a pebble makes it glossy, without actually cutting off the damaged top layer of the lens with an abrasive compound I can’t see how that would work long term?

7. Nieither do I. But it does.

Voodoo...........

8. Any ceramic coating really....Gtechniq C4 or Gtechniq ExoV4 will give superb UV protection....

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Thanks Rob, I’d never heard of it tbh but just googled it, looks like good stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thanks LF , we may be talking about a different level of degradation of course but next time I get one to do I’ll try it .

11. I've got a focus and the headlights are DREADFUL.... This maybe my next thing to do!

12. Should only take about 10 mins per headlight. Put some “before and after” photo’s on this thread if you can.

13. Tooth paste also does the job too...

14. Shall do.... Did you have a problem with them seemingly pointing almost straight at the floor too? I bought the 2010 recently from Ford and I've had it back to Ford for the adjuster & headlamps checking

15. No problem with adjustment, just the lenses were deteriorated, looks like you have 3 options, T cut, WD40 and toothpaste!, I get the toothpaste idea because it’s an abrasive like T cut, but I’m intrigued by the WD40 method, if you have any handy maybe do one area Tcut and one WD40 and see what happens.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information