1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Headlight Adjustment

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by B1stoboy, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Decided to lower the headlights as fed up with being flashed and other bikers moaning about a blinding white light in their mirrors. The instructions in the book Page 365 ( i think) are as useful as a chocolate teapot. Nothing made sense. Phoned my dealer and apparently the book describes the process for a standard DVT and the picture reflects the S model with LED lights.
    For the DVT - S you lay on the floor and remove the 3 screws holding the black plastic cover that sits across the fork legs. You can the see and reach the one and only silver adjustment bolt that sits in the middle of the headlight assembly at the back ( towards the tank). turn clockwise to lower both headlights together - simples when you know how.

• Thanks Thanks x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Only just spotted this post. Very helpful. I'll try it.

3. this is helpful and will have a look, I too get flashed fairly often, usually in tree covered areas, but make a game out of it and respond quickly with a short supernova of high beam :eek:

• Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. 13mm socket and long extension (I needed 1 and 1/2 extensions). No idea what the result is, as you could barely notice in my garage

5. Good post - do like the fact cars move out of the way though need to adjust standard DVT headlight though when Mrs Bandit joins me fer a spin.

6. Thanks for the info!

7. I have now done this, exactly as per @B1stoboy 's instructions. Turning the bolt clockwise lowers the headlamp aim (as checked against marks on my garage door). I have just taken a short ride in the dark, and my dipped beam now shines on the boots of cars in front instead of into their rear view mirrors. Result - and thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. So let me see if I have this straight. Your headlight is aiming too high and is blinding on-coming drivers. When they indicate that you are blinding them you "make a game" out of blinding them further.
    Why would you do this to an oncoming driver? Is there some advantage to having a blinded driver heading towards you?

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. I do this too. Let's them know that you actually didn't have your high beam on in the first place and that their flash at you was not required.

I have my beams as low as they will go but with the wife on the back yesterday a Porsche I was following indicated and pulled over to let me pass. He then flicked his beams on high and chased me all over the back roads. Pissed me right off but he stopped when I gesticulated and indicated to pull over and have it out.

I know he must have thought my beams were too high or on high beam, but they weren't and it's hardly my fault when I've dropped them as much as I can. No need to be a twat about it mr Porsche.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sorry JH, but I don't agree with you. Just because you have another pair of lights which are even higher than the ones you are using, to my mind doesn't justify the use of the ones you are using.
    Dipped lights shouldn't be blinding other road users, if other road users are indicating to you your lights are to high, then surely it is up to you to sort them out, not take the attitude ah well I've done what I can do other road users will have to put up with it ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. It's more a view of 'it passes MOT and is no different to newer cars with the ultra bright & blinding headlights'.

For some reason it's accepted on new cars but not on a bike?!? What am I going to do, redesign Ducati's headlight unit?!?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sorry JH, my mistake, I thought people were indicating to you your lights were to high, not that they were to bright.

• Like Like x 1
  13. For gods sake man stiffen your rear shock when you have 25 stone on the back.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. With shorter day lights now I noticed how high the headlights were set. :dizzy:Coming back home using back roads (A-281, Guildford road until A-24), the headlights were straight to the rear view mirror of cars in front and when I was on my own, the high beam was useless, pointing only to the top of the trees. Check the manuals and here we go to adjust that thing:
    On the Standard version, the headlights are ok to do adjustment, with two screws, one each side. It needs to adjust separately, best way is covering one side, point to the garage door and mark the height adjusted, then do the other side at the same height marked. Job done. HOWEVER.....The high beam adjustment screw is in the middle, right behind the steering column and inside the fairing support. There is simply no way to reach it! The way I found, after trying every tool in my garage, was using a long extension with a universal joint at the end and 8mm socket. Doing it from the top, very hard to slot the socket in, even harder to turn that thing clockwise to adjust it down. I wonder if someone already done and have a better way, please?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Now, going off topic a bit, popped into work yesterday, and a fecking cycle came toward me with what appeared to be a collapsed sun on the front of his bike. Now you can all kick the boot in all you want, but he gotta a face full of Golf LED main beam !! I simply don't understand why the fecking lycra clad weirdo's think they can ride with a squillion watt LED poking straight into a driver or riders face !!
    As for these Multi comments, I have never adjusted mine and have not been flashed once (S model LED's), so the adjustment must be there right ?? If you're still getting flashed, then your pillion needs a salad or two :p

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. You know it is too high when you are a few meters from the car in front and the lights are in the rear view mirror of the car. It really bothers me when someone's lights are. I use a reference (including for my car headlights height) of the lights being just under the rear window of the car in front. Also, when it is too high, it is not effective on dark roads.

17. Does depend on the car in front though. Some of these cars a like go karts (Mazda MX-5 etc)

18. All depends on what you mean by a few meters, down to three and I think you may be too close anyway. On the other hand if your twenty meters back and your lights are in a Range Rovers rear view mirrors then I think you need to adjust them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Strange how nearly all bikes come with lights set too high. 1st thought it was just jap bikes but multi was also skyward. Adjusted now but still take out retinas of oncoming cars when on a slight to tight bend with cornering assist.

20. ?? cornering assist couldn't blind Stevie Wonder? You sure you not flicking main beam on? :p

Do Not Sell My Personal Information