1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 Heat Management, What Have Any Of You Done?

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Dazzx10r, May 25, 2017.

1. Hey mate, which wrap / paint are you using?

2. Hope springs eternal

IMG_2104.JPG

3. Did the carbon guard had enough left over so did th seat aswell, seat doesn't get as hot but the heat on your legs is the same, wrapping I guess in a option that would help that, or ceramic coating which I had on my Subaru !

• Like Like x 1
  4. Just ordered some wraps today, curious to see how it goes.

5. I have wrapped a double layre of heat wrap on my rear header, it's helped a little but has'nt cured the problem. I have just returned from a 2 week blast across Spain where the air temps were high 20's low 30's and was concered that I was going to toast my legs, what I have found however is that if I ride with my arse touching the bum stop, as far back in the seat as I can get, then the heat on my legs is a lot less.
    Looking at it now I really don't think that the exhaust is the main culprit of the heat build up, I think that most of the heat is radiating from the subframe due to it being mounted directly to the rear cylinder. If you put your hand on the subframe below the seat after a decent ride then you will see what I mean.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Well since the wraps are bought, I shall use them and see. I am sure if there was no cat, the engine would run much cooler. Unfortunately it is almost impossible to remove. :(

7. I agree with above. Its the subframe thats the main culprit. I have the Ti full akro. No way am i wrapping that. But it cools quickly when i open my legs. Ive used DEI gold on shield and under seat. But i shall also be laying some of that silver faced glass fibre sheet under the seat. Foil face down.

Does anyone know how to take those two plastic frame things off? The ones attached to frame by the inside of your knees?

8. My seat does not seem to get very hot if at all. It is on the sides that I have the problem. Do you use the cat in your Akra?

9. If I am honest, I have no idea about cat. It was on when I bought it. Ive not had it long and havent looked. TBH I dont even know what I am looking for, but Akro is race one, not for road use if that helps.

10. Thanks, I would also love the Akra, but it is unfortunately not for street use and that is where I do most of my riding. Here in Germany they are very strickt about the noise :(

11. Thats a pity Claude as it does sound glorious. Also the heat dissipates very quickly. I shall take the bike out this weekend and report back on above mods.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bootsam, I am looking forward to hearing your report.

13. If you mean the subframe inserts, remove the seat and you will some steel spring clips that fit over the plastic lugs of each insert as they pass through the subframe. Easily removed with some long nose pliers, though not sure that will help any as you are simply exposing more metal to your legs. If you meant the cylinder head covers, you'll have to remove the two lower subframe mounting bolts and loosen the two upper ones, remove the fuel tank and seat pad, then raise the frame up sufficiently to allow you access to each side so as to be able to take them off. Again not sure this will help. Far better would be to use some subframe covers lined with a heat shield foil which will insulate you from the worst of the heat that is conducted to the subframe from the rear cylinder head.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Cheers Tops, I only wish to remove them to apply heat tape on inside. Then re-affix. :)

15. Oh OK, that makes more sense now! The subframe covers I mentioned fit over these plastic inserts. There are a few on the market but the ONLY ones worth buying are produced by Lieb Speed in Germany as the fit and finish is sublime, He also sells the additional heat reflective precision cut backing kit. You can comfortably touch any part of the subframe where your leg might normally contact it and you won't get burnt.

Here's a picture of them fitted to my subframe and the backing kit (RTV sealant is supplied in the kit as well). The tie wraps and bubble wrap were to hold the covers on while the sealant cured (24 hours)

rebuild-27.jpg rebuild-30.jpg 20170405_003534.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. I like that Tops. I shall have to get me some off that. Very nice. Thanks. :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. I have had 2 rear downpipe fail on mine!

IMG_7331.JPG

18. I struggle with engine temps on track, it runs at 100-104 and I can feel it takes the edge off the available grunt :(
    Have just flushed out the standard coolant and filled with engine ice to see if it helps.
    I'm at Cadwell tonight (if it's dry) so will report on the results.

19. The gold DEI didnt do much but my seat is a tad cooler, its the subframe that is my main culprit and I am waiting till end of month, ie payday to oder what @Topolino suggests.

20. Why not ceramic coat the sub frame?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information