1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Height Adjuster Seized

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by chunka57, May 11, 2018.

1. hi folks!
    My height adjuster is seized solid and can’t be adjusted.
    Anyone else had the same issue? Is it worth trying to buy another? Or does anyone have one?

Thank you

2. Thank you mate

3. I have a basic question to ask but don’t want to appear rude. You do know that the adjuster has a left hand thread at one end so will it undo in the normal right hand thread tightening direction ? Andy

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. They all seize. Better to replace it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yes thanks mate. Tried both ways. Shocks seized solid too, think I best get on eBay

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mine did the same.When I got my ebay replacement the first thing I did was clean and lube.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Buy a decent quality new one. A s/h one is just as likely to be seized solid.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Any recommendations or links mate?

9. I'm trying to find where mine came from. Germany somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I took mine out of my 2003 ST4 today to adjust it, I expected it to be seized solid as nearly every other bolt Iv'e replaced has been. It was tough to get the nuts free, but loads of plus gas worked fine, also on the main threads, I let it soak for a few hrs and it was fine, cleaned and greased it up with anti seize compound. As has been mentioned above the bottom eye has a left hand thread for the nut and adjuster.
    Removing it from the bike allows much better access to free it up, I couldn't have done it with it fitted.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. That’s my plan of attack today. Cheers buddy.
    Every bolt was seized on mine too. Previous owner didn’t show it much love, sadly!
    I Couldn’t undo the top nut on the shock to try and get the rear a little softer. Keeping my eye out on eBay for one.

12. Chunka, for the shock preload rings it is easier to take the shock out and free off the locking ring on a bench. With an Abbastand or something to lift the rear wheel off the ground it is just two 8mm socket allen bolts and a bit of fiddling to remove the shock - takes 5 minutes. If you do this you will not smash your knuckles or chip paint off the frame when the c spanner slips off the locking ring (as it surely will). Using a screwdriver or bladed object on the ring with a hammer is a good way of butchering the locking ring and not a good way to loosen it

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Cheers mate. Tried removing it etc. One still baby! managed to adjust ride height with a lot of heat and penetrating oil. That’s back on, the shock does show signs of a leak if I’m honest, although it doesnt feel like anything is a miss because it’s rock hard

14. Thanks for the advice folks! Managed to get the height adjuster to bits, cleaned up, greased and refitted.
    Lifted and softened the front a lot and gave it less preload. The front was solid before. Makes it loads easier to ride now. Can feel a lot more.
    Adjusted the idle fueling slightly and it feels loads more responsive. Is this a standard chip?
    Definitely need a new rear shock though.

E2BF8FB2-D474-4AD0-B599-CFC3A7127716.jpeg

05230500-7A31-4042-8A62-5FE892FFBA5D.jpeg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information