1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello From The Isle Of Skye

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Mark MacPherson, Dec 2, 2019.

1. go in may/june. you wont be disapointed.

2. Indeed, at least we were past peak midge season :D those fekkers don't even get put off by rain :eek:

3. Pah. midgies. they're tiny. and mean no harm.

4. Like someone on here who regularly mentions northern politics in every thread, has a really young avatar too :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Hi Mark. I've been on Skye 3 times in the last 4 years and it was mainly dry and only rained some of the time. :)
    The roads there are absolutely terrible though. The main road from Kyleakin through Broadford to Portree is ok but beyond that they seem to be mainly a series of potholes that have been filled in and given a top dressing. Guaranteed to rattle your fillings out. And there are some fearsome potholes that you could lose your front wheel in :scream:

6. its not a bad road out to Uig

7. Aye, the road up to Uig is no too bad, it's the same A87 that tourists use en route to the Lewis and Harris ferry but check out the roads to Dunvegan and beyond, or the road from the Glenelg ferry back to the A87 at Harrapool.

8. i like skye, but i'm kinda done with it for now.
    i must try a bit more of the east coast. once i'm bored of the routs i have been taking.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Come over my side anytime and I'll show you the best roads :)

• Like Like x 3
  10. will do. deffo. :upyeah:

11. Just a wee blast over the cairngorm plateau and you're here :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  12. aye. roybridge, avimore, over the top then? hmm.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lecht, Gairnshiel, Ballater for a coffee and cake in either 'Rock salt and snails' or 'Brown Sugar' cross the Dee at Potarch, oOver Cairn o'mount (dodging the pushbikes) and into Angus at Edzell :upyeah:

14. ballater is nice, i dont do cake tho. do they Oysters, White Truffle, Iberico ham, Wagyu beef, Kopi Luwak coffee and Foie gras?. in a roll?

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. or in batter?

16. Aye, good roads Harry.
    How about from Gairnsheil to Braemar, doon Glen Shee and Glen Isla, Kirrie to Edzell then back ower the Cairn o' Mount'?
    Alford to Dufftown ower the Cabrach is guid tae. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Oh,v nice. i'm getting the pre season buzz already.

18. All deep fried fayre originates in Stonehaven, Ballater is good for posh nosh at the Duke of Rothesay's gaff - you may consider that..... ;):broken_heart:
    Hungry Highlander in Braemar would be a good stop too :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  19. OK if you don't mind fried stuff. There is better grub at the fit o Mar Road in the Taste cafe.

20. I'll believe you, I've not been to Braemar for years now, spent loads of time there as a kid - hitching lifts to Glenshee and sleeping in an old ruin which is now the Muse shops opposite the Fife Arms Hotel - oh the days.....

Do Not Sell My Personal Information