1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helmet Camera

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Wayne58, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Feck me, compared to some on here I’m a young gun ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. After seeing what happened to Michael Schumacher and his resulting injuries from the helmet cam spiking into his head I would rather fit one to the bike.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Are the Drift Stealth 2's pretty good then?

Just been looking at cameras myself this morning but don't want to spend top dollar in truth

Presumably the Stealth isn't waterproof is it? And would you set it up using an iPhone for the view finder?

4. The Stealth is waterproof and no you can’t slave the image to a phone.
    It is VERY easy to line up the rotating lense so the the image is straight. 2.5 years of use in ALL weathers, including the worst wind and rain in Iceland last April.

5. Icelandic waterfall, somewhere south near Victoria.

2402BC95-FF2C-43B6-84EE-FEB23810C009.jpeg

6. Vic, not Victoria.

7. I have a Drift Stealth 2 and find the camera to be excellent, as mentioned above the lens can be rotated no mater what angle the camera is mounted, up to now it's been brilliant, only downside is the built in microphone which does give some wind noise at speed, there is no jack to plug an exterior mic, unless like me you do a conversion, obviously voids warranty if you do it on a new one but well worth doing.
    2017-07-11 10.51.56.jpg
    Steve

8. Might sound like a daft question then chaps, but if you can't see a view finder on the camera (only on the ghost I think), and you can't use a phone as a view finder, how do you know it's lined up properly?

Appreciate you can rotate the lense, but unless I know I've got it pointing in the right direction I'd be concerned about 3 hours of road surface footage or grey sky's :)

9. What a load of BS. Have you seen what happens in a bike accident? Bet you still ride a bike.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. These are screen shots of the Drift phone app, although I haven't used it in real time it does imply you can connect the camera and alter settings.
    I have just experimented with camera positions and haven't had a problem.
    I might try the app now just for my curiosity.
    Steve
    Screenshot_20180324-123503.png Screenshot_20180324-123508.png Screenshot_20180324-123518.png Screenshot_20180324-123526.png

• Like Like x 1
  11. sorry i thought it meant a camera for helmets...

12. Personally I would not wear a helmet camera, if you are unfortunate to fall off, and it catches something (some are stuck on there that they have to hit hard to break off) it could rip your head off, or a high chance of causing far more damage to head, and neck etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Nice one, let us know how you get on.

I just thought if I'm attaching the camera to the bike it'd be useful to know I've got the angles and positioning right before riding off that's all

14. This is off there Web site, says a live preview.
    Screenshot_20180324-140723.png
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  15. You tube, yes it works with the phone.

16. Point taken. But if I had a potetntial spear placed on my brain , if I had the chance would i leave it there or remove it, no brainer. The protective kit we use nowadays is brilliant at absorbing energy from impact, ie hitting the road, but it does not deal well with sharp objects,and that includes helmets. There are plenty of mounting point options than on top of your helmet.

• Like Like x 1
  17. The trouble is that no one want to take risks anymore. I would suggest that the odds of being run over while walking or having a fatal bike accident, or dying from smoking are 1000s of times greater than being killed by a gopro on you helmet. As far as I know that has only happened to one man with a ski helmet, unless you have hard facts to prove that wrong.

18. Bob shall we agree to disagree.

19. I would say it depends what you need it for. If it's for vlogging, if you need audio, do you want to easily cut the footage in to other things etc.

Heres my helmet setup of the GP5.

I like the all in one solution, it does require a lid with a convenient mounting point so I was lucky, I don't like side or top mounted cams.

The sena prism tube is also a good bet I've heard, they do a wifi version.
    https://www.sena.com/product-category/motorcycles-powersports/cameras/

If it's for insurance or dash cam footage, you can get pencil thin onces that loop record 720p which is fine, no audio. Well they have mics but with the wind they won't pick up a thing.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Does not really just apply just to death, if you broke your neck and was paralysed for life. there has been a few cases of more damage caused because a head cam was worn, just not every one is called Micheal Schumacher.

No not see adding a risk for no reason.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information